• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Was Joe playing possum?

HawkItus

For you Northerners that don't get the meaning, possums are notorious for playing dead when in a threatened position.

I wonder if Joe realizing Woody was going to run him into the ground no matter what decided to get his rest on the floor. He has talked for years about giving his younger teammates a heavier shoulders share of the load. Was the middle of this season his attempt at that? The next few weeks should tell, but if he keeps up this pace, I will be hard pressed to believe he wasn't dogging it a little bit, with a finishing kick in mind for this part of the season.

Edited by sultanofatl

JJ shot 37% in january. No NBA player is so lazy that they don't try when they shoot. He was trying he just wasn't hitting for whatever reason.

He wasn't attacking like he is now either. I would like to see a breakdown of his shot selection during these last 5 games against the numbers he put up last month.

He wasn't attacking like he is now either. I would like to see a breakdown of his shot selection during these last 5 games against the numbers he put up last month.

The only way i know of that you can do that is look at the shot charts on each ESPN box score which would obviously be very time consuming.

NBA.coms hotspots could give you a breakdown of the last few games as they relate to the rest of the season. again it would take some time with the calculator.

The only way i know of that you can do that is look at the shot charts on each ESPN box score which would obviously be very time consuming.

NBA.coms hotspots could give you a breakdown of the last few games as they relate to the rest of the season. again it would take some time with the calculator.

Thanks for the suggestions, I might work on this next time I have a really long conference call.

Thanks for the suggestions, I might work on this next time I have a really long conference call.

One thing to consider though, is that the proportion of jumpers to layups can be impacted by how well he's shooting. Since Joe isn't a Lebron/Wade/Kobe level athlete, he can't just decide to drive. He can get by his man a lot easier if his man is respecting his jumper, otherwise he'll sag off and Joe isn't always explosive enough to get by a dude playing a couple feet back.

• Moderators
One thing to consider though, is that the proportion of jumpers to layups can be impacted by how well he's shooting. Since Joe isn't a Lebron/Wade/Kobe level athlete, he can't just decide to drive. He can get by his man a lot easier if his man is respecting his jumper, otherwise he'll sag off and Joe isn't always explosive enough to get by a dude playing a couple feet back.

I don't think anyone sags off of Joe when facing the Hawks - even when he is in a slump. They sag off of Josh Smith but not JJ.

For you Northerners that don't get the meaning, possums are notorious for playing dead when in a threatened position.

I wonder if Joe realizing Woody was going to run him into the ground no matter what decided to get his rest on the floor. He has talked for years about giving his younger teammates a heavier shoulders share of the load. Was the middle of this season his attempt at that? The next few weeks should tell, but if he keeps up this pace, I will be hard pressed to believe he wasn't dogging it a little bit, with a finishing kick in mind for this part of the season.

Im from up North and everyone knows what that means lol but no i dont think JJ was playing possum and if he was it was a dumb decision because when he plays this aggressive we win ball games..LeBron and Kobe dont play possum..thats why they are considered GREAT. JJ had it in him..i just think since Marvin went down(no homo) he had to step up just like he said he would. hopefully he doesnt let up because he would be in the MVP talk if he did this all season! he would be averaging about 30 ppg like DWade

There's no question he has been attacking more over this stretch. And I think everyone knows what "playing possum" means.

no offense intended, but you'd be surprised at what public schools and city living do to some people. I've personally met a few folks who didn't know possums existed. Thought it was just a big ugly rat the first time they saw it.

I think everyone has kinda touched on it but Joe just hit a stretch of bad games. It happens occasionally. As I recall, his calf's were also bothering him. I know for several games he started wearing those sleeves on his legs. That certainly would have hurt his lift on his jumper and his ability to take anybody off the dribble.

He seems to have regained his stride and hopefully it continues the rest of the way. The last week or so he's been playing not just at an All-Star level but at an MVP one.

no offense intended, but you'd be surprised at what public schools and city living do to some people. I've personally met a few folks who didn't know possums existed. Thought it was just a big ugly rat the first time they saw it.

I remember going out to dinner as a kid and i found a tick in my hair, which was a pretty common occurance at that time. The old lady who was showing us to our seats wanted to see it. She had never seen a tick before.

Sure, but I doubt any of those people know how to operate a computer, much less sign onto Hawksquawk.

Of course, there are a couple of posters on here that make it easier to believe.