Yep. The Hawks are still a fraud.

Plainview1981

I disagree because no one thought of this team as a contender, even with the 7 game winning streak. So we aren't frauds. We are what we are mediocre. Which is fine, because mediocre is on par with even the best of the Atlanta Hawks teams past.

He means they are a fraud of a good team. Mediocre is not fine, by the way. Those of us that are old enogh, or simply able to remember, will tell you that the whole process of "blowing it up" was to produce a serious title contender. Now, ten years later and suddenly, mediocrity is just fine. Well, it isn't. And just for the record, any team with Smitty, Mookie and Deke would flat out kill these pretenders. Those were very good, mentally competent teams with a coach who had a clue. Not exactly how you describe the recent offerings. And let's not even compare the 80's Hawks. They were smart and more athletic than our current squad.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
Yes, he's a fan. You guys always wanting to rip on him remind me of a high school mob that can't think independent of the others. You guys should get a life. As far as the Hawks go, he's at least 70% accurate I'd say, if not more. People who shoot the messenger because of the message are just so not worth the time of any person with critical thinking skills. To be fair, many of you "troll" as you say, looking for him so you can say " you're such a troll, blah, blah, blah, etc". Talk about lame.

If you are such a "fan" you should know all about Hawksquawk and all of it's features. Of course there is a "ignore" feature.

Glad the positive attitude works for you. You're going to need it. Enjoy the Lane Kiffin era!

Thanks for the rip at Coach Kiffin. I'll remember that down the road.

Thanks for the rip at Coach Kiffin. I'll remember that down the road.

Coach Kiffin? You're high, right? Coach Kiffin. lol! I would never take a shot at such an accomplished defensive coordinator. Oh, you mean Lane Kiffin, the lying toolbag that can't keep his mouth shut. Sorry, but even as a Bama guy I had grudging respect for Field Goal Phil and his staff. That's saying a lot, too. They struggled without Cutcliffe both times, but that could have been corrected. It will take a decade to correct the, ahem, Coach Kiffin hiring.

• Premium Member

I actually agree with everything Hotlanta said. You guys kill with your parent-like attitude toward any opinion that differ from yours. At least dude has the onions to post. Most here too afraid too post anything that may be seen as against the grain.

Sheep Sheep Sheep

Until the Hawks fix the PG position and get a better communicator in here as HC I'll never be fully on board either. Now I'll always be a fan but in the back of my mind I'll always expect the worse.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member
I actually agree with everything Hotlanta said. You guys kill with your parent-like attitude toward any opinion that differ from yours. At least dude has the onions to post. Most here too afraid too post anything that may be seen as against the grain.

Sheep Sheep Sheep

Until the Hawks fix the PG position and get a better communicator in here as HC I'll never be fully on board either. Now I'll always be a fan but in the back of my mind I'll always expect the worse.

I didn't know the PG postion was broken. You say you'll always expect the worst, huh? Dude, this is the best season we've had in ten years. If you can't get on board now, then when? It has nothing to do with being a sheep and it has everything to do with the reality of the situation. The reality is that this team has made really nice progress over the past few years and we're starting to get taken seriously as a team. The situation we are in now is as good or better than anyone predicted during the preseason, so there's no reason why anyone should agree with Hotlanta at this point. Now if we get swept in the first round despite having home court advantage, that's a completely different story.

• Premium Member
I didn't know the PG postion was broken. You say you'll always expect the worst, huh? Dude, this is the best season we've had in ten years. If you can't get on board now, then when? It has nothing to do with being a sheep and it has everything to do with the reality of the situation. The reality is that this team has made really nice progress over the past few years and we're starting to get taken seriously as a team. The situation we are in now is as good or better than anyone predicted during the preseason, so there's no reason why anyone should agree with Hotlanta at this point. Now if we get swept in the first round despite having home court advantage, that's a completely different story.

I understand were you're coming from but I'm pass the point of being happy merely because the team is winning. I see the potential in this roster and it really upsets me that so many think this team can compete with the likes of Boston and Cleavland as is. The team is OK but shouldn't the goal be to strive for excellence?

• Premium Member
I understand were you're coming from but I'm pass the point of being happy merely because the team is winning. I see the potential in this roster and it really upsets me that so many think this team can compete with the likes of Boston and Cleavland as is. The team is OK but shouldn't the goal be to strive for excellence?

Of course, but that comes with time. This whole rebuilding thing is a PROCESS and things have really picked up the last two seasons. It's a slap in the face to have a guy come on here and say that our team is a fraud when we know better. It's not like we haven't exceeded expectations this year. Some guys were predicting another 30 game season for goodness sake. We've eclipsed our last season's record, are entrenched in the 4th spot with homecourt advantage, and still have a remote chance of winning 50 games. That's dramatic improvement over what we did last season and there's nothing fake or fraudulent about it. Heck, you got some guys here that are now saying that we underacheived!

Edited by hawkman

Of course, but that comes with time. This whole rebuilding thing is a PROCESS and things have really picked up the last two seasons. It's a slap in the face to have a guy come on here and say that our team is a fraud when we know better. It's not like we haven't exceeded expectations this year. Some guys were predicting another 30 game season for goodness sake. We've eclipsed our last season's record, are entrenched in the 4th spot with homecourt advantage, and still have a remote chance of winning 50 games. That's dramatic improvement over what we did last season and there's nothing fake or fraudulent about it. Heck, you got some guys here that are now saying that we underacheived!

You're right to an extent. I know I was one of the ones not thinking we'd get 40 wins this year. Same stupid coach (and that's being nice) same team etc., etc. But see I'm not suprised at the win total at all as I've always known we had 40-50 win talent. Most of us thought we should have gotten that last year. Point is no one (outside of Hot mind you) is claiming we're moving in the wrong direction or we're now stuck in mediocrity what the majority of us "naysayers" have been saying is that the "PROCESS" still hasn't progressed as quickly as it should. Not to mention the things that are still slowing down that process are well, still slowing down that process. I know it feels good to finally get a winning season. Some of you probably weren't even watching the NBA the last time we were decent (and we're still not as good as the 90's teams). Those of us that were know what mediocrity is like and would rather not be stuck in that cycle either.

You're right to an extent. I know I was one of the ones not thinking we'd get 40 wins this year. Same stupid coach (and that's being nice) same team etc., etc. But see I'm not suprised at the win total at all as I've always known we had 40-50 win talent. Most of us thought we should have gotten that last year. Point is no one (outside of Hot mind you) is claiming we're moving in the wrong direction or we're now stuck in mediocrity what the majority of us "naysayers" have been saying is that the "PROCESS" still hasn't progressed as quickly as it should. Not to mention the things that are still slowing down that process are well, still slowing down that process. I know it feels good to finally get a winning season. Some of you probably weren't even watching the NBA the last time we were decent (and we're still not as good as the 90's teams). Those of us that were know what mediocrity is like and would rather not be stuck in that cycle either.

I find it hard to believe that anyone a fan of the Hawks would suggest we're moving in the wrong direction. If winning 45-50 games is going the wrong way, fill me in on what's the correct direction?

And answering the question if the "process" is moving too slow....? Who's to say? It's all hindsight. What's factual is the hawks have progressed record wise each year under Woody. Now let's wait and see if this group of coaches/players can improve on next year. That will be the real test. It's not hard to build on a 13 win season. We'll see if this group is championship caliber this year in the playoffs and in next year's regular season. But at this point in all the rebuilding and losing, it's a good time to be a Hawks fan. I for one, don't want to blow it all up again and start in a new "direction". My gut feeling is that we will go through another (at least) three years just to try and get back to where we are now.

I find it hard to believe that anyone a fan of the Hawks would suggest we're moving in the wrong direction. If winning 45-50 games is going the wrong way, fill me in on what's the correct direction?

And answering the question if the "process" is moving too slow....? Who's to say? It's all hindsight. What's factual is the hawks have progressed record wise each year under Woody. Now let's wait and see if this group of coaches/players can improve on next year. That will be the real test. It's not hard to build on a 13 win season. We'll see if this group is championship caliber this year in the playoffs and in next year's regular season. But at this point in all the rebuilding and losing, it's a good time to be a Hawks fan. I for one, don't want to blow it all up again and start in a new "direction". My gut feeling is that we will go through another (at least) three years just to try and get back to where we are now.

I agree. Even though it's hindsight I still think we're continuing to struggle in areas we shouldn't be struggling in. I also don't think we're playing to our potential consistently enough. I'm definitely not a fan of blowing up the team and starting over but if we had dumped Woody and then for two years still struggled in the 30-40 win total I'd say we should. However, I've always been a believer that you should never blow up a playoff team. It's simply too hard to get there. In fact, I was completely against how we blew up the Smitty led team. We still had some pretty good talent on that team and we were in fact a Flip-Mo signing away from a championship. Especially with Jordan hanging it up directly after. The East was wide freaking open.

How about winning on the road instead of losing every roaqd game? How about hitting free throws? Having a defensive identity.... rebounding... playing with decent fundamentals. Five or 6 years after starting this process they still fail at these things.

This team is a fraud ON THE ROAD.

At home this team can beat ANYBODY.

We've beaten the best two teams in the league at home in Cleveland and LA.

We've beaten the 3rd best team record wise in Orlando at home.

And we should have beaten the Celtics at home at least once as well.

The Bulls have a really good home record. It's really not that meaningful if you can't win on

the road also.

I agree. Even though it's hindsight I still think we're continuing to struggle in areas we shouldn't be struggling in. I also don't think we're playing to our potential consistently enough. I'm definitely not a fan of blowing up the team and starting over but if we had dumped Woody and then for two years still struggled in the 30-40 win total I'd say we should. However, I've always been a believer that you should never blow up a playoff team. It's simply too hard to get there. In fact, I was completely against how we blew up the Smitty led team. We still had some pretty good talent on that team and we were in fact a Flip-Mo signing away from a championship. Especially with Jordan hanging it up directly after. The East was wide freaking open.

That team was done... Steve's days of being "the man" were over. He barely shot 40% his last year with the Hawks. Mookie only had like one more ok season after he left the hawks. Deke was the only one with much left to offer after that.

How about winning on the road instead of losing every roaqd game? How about hitting free throws? Having a defensive identity.... rebounding... playing with decent fundamentals. Five or 6 years after starting this process they still fail at these things.

Every team in the NBA has areas to improve on! They don't lose every game on the road, but they need to play better. Even as bad as they are on the road, they're still sniffing 50 wins. Defensive identity? That's not the players' fault. Free throws?? C'mon dude, you're reaching. You want to blow up a 50 win 4th seeded playoff team for shooting 73% at the line??

Every NBA team has weaknesses. You are looking for perfection. The Hawks haven't failed at anything yet. They have had a great year, and if they're so bad, stop watching them. After reading post after post, you seem in complete misery with the Hawks. Why do you put yourself through it?

Every team in the NBA has areas to improve on! They don't lose every game on the road, but they need to play better. Even as bad as they are on the road, they're still sniffing 50 wins. Defensive identity? That's not the players' fault. Free throws?? C'mon dude, you're reaching. You want to blow up a 50 win 4th seeded playoff team for shooting 73% at the line??

Every NBA team has weaknesses. You are looking for perfection. The Hawks haven't failed at anything yet. They have had a great year, and if they're so bad, stop watching them. After reading post after post, you seem in complete misery with the Hawks. Why do you put yourself through it?

You're talking to the wind Buckeye. The glass is always half empty for Hotlanta. Pity he can't enjoy watching the team he supposedly supports.

That team was done... Steve's days of being "the man" were over. He barely shot 40% his last year with the Hawks. Mookie only had like one more ok season after he left the hawks. Deke was the only one with much left to offer after that.

You still don't "blow up" a perenial playoff team. You slowly add and subtract players. The problem with that was it had too many veterans and not enough youth. They simply gave up instead of slowly changing. There is a difference.

You still don't "blow up" a perenial playoff team. You slowly add and subtract players. The problem with that was it had too many veterans and not enough youth. They simply gave up instead of slowly changing. There is a difference. The past 10 years only proves my point.