• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I hope Nique is OK

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

He sure seem irritated with Woody's defensive "scheme" for Parker. I thought was working himself into a heart attack last night. I recall him saying "I really don't like this defense" no less than 5 times.

I hope he is NOT OK and lets Sund and owners know it. Need to bring some heat to Woody before the playoffs.

In hindsight, there's definitely some things Woody could have done differently defensively. However, I don't know what it is. We threw everyone and the kitchen sink at Parker, nothing worked. Some nights nothing can stop a player. 42 and 10 is a monster game. Short of having 10 players on the floor, I'm not sold that any defense would have slowed Parker last night.

In hindsight, there's definitely some things Woody could have done differently defensively. However, I don't know what it is. We threw everyone and the kitchen sink at Parker, nothing worked. Some nights nothing can stop a player. 42 and 10 is a monster game. Short of having 10 players on the floor, I'm not sold that any defense would have slowed Parker last night.

What??? No we didn't. We rarely trapped the guy ( I think I counted twice). We didn't try to put our best D player on him for any significant time (two plays). Parker should have been trapped every time he brought the ball up or had Mario glued to him for the whole game. No, we ran one defense against him and that was to switch on the pick. Didn't work the entire game yet we stuck to it.

• Moderators

Going to a zone D is another way to help stop someone who is a great penetrator and questionable (relatively) perimeter shooter like Parker. I only got to watch part of the second half so I am not sure if we tried that. I was more banging my head with the iso "offense."

Going to a zone D is another way to help stop someone who is a great penetrator and questionable (relatively) perimeter shooter like Parker. I only got to watch part of the second half so I am not sure if we tried that. I was more banging my head with the iso "offense."

Pick you poison !

We could have thrown a zone at them. However, they are the 2nd best 3 point shooting team in the league. We refused to zone them and held their 3 point shooting to 5 - 15 (33%).

Had we "zoned" them it may have held Parker to 30 points, instead of 42, but I hate to imagine the difference in 3 point shooting. Another thing zones do is get your big men in foul trouble and allow offensive rebounds from perimeter shots.

Hindsite is alwayse easy the next day but had Woody played a zone vs. the 2nd ranked 3 point shooting team and they shot 10 -20 on 3's,,,, we would all be calling Woody an idiot too as we SCREAM (TO WOODY) YOU ZONE THE BAD SHOOTING TEAMS............NOT THE GOOD ONES.........YOU BIG DUMMY !

We are just a real bad matchup for teams with PGs who posses elite quickness. That will be the GMs job to fix in the offseason.

I do agree we could have attempted to trap Parker...............the key word here is attempted. The dude is a blur with the basketball in his hands. Good luck trapping him. Easier said then done. Plus to trap Parker you are leaving a very good 3 point shooter wide open.

The game plan was to defend the 3 point shot vs. the 2nd best 3 point shooting team in the league who was without their post scorer. Then contain Parker. The part that should have scrapped before halftime is to have our big switch on Parker.............Too bad Parker was good enough to beat him by himself. I would have loved to have seen ZaZa come in to give Parker a fard foul and knock him on his a**...............like Bonnor and K. Thomas were doing all game. We never matched their physical play on the defensive end.

Edited by coachx

What??? No we didn't. We rarely trapped the guy ( I think I counted twice). We didn't try to put our best D player on him for any significant time (two plays). Parker should have been trapped every time he brought the ball up or had Mario glued to him for the whole game. No, we ran one defense against him and that was to switch on the pick. Didn't work the entire game yet we stuck to it.

That's funny, 'Rio would have fouled out.

Pick you poison !

We could have thrown a zone at them. However, they are the 2nd best 3 point shooting team in the league. We refused to zone them and held their 3 point shooting to 5 - 15 (33%).

Had we "zoned" them it may have held Parker to 30 points, instead of 42, but I hate to imagine the difference in 3 point shooting. Another thing zones do is get your big men in foul trouble and allow offensive rebounds from perimeter shots.

Hindsite is alwayse easy the next day but had Woody played a zone vs. the 2nd ranked 3 point shooting team and they shot 10 -20 on 3's,,,, we would all be calling Woody an idiot too as we SCREAM (TO WOODY) YOU ZONE THE BAD SHOOTING TEAMS............NOT THE GOOD ONES.........YOU BIG DUMMY !

We are just a real bad matchup for teams with PGs who posses elite quickness. That will be the GMs job to fix in the offseason.

I do agree we could have attempted to trap Parker...............the key word here is attempted. The dude is a blur with the basketball in his hands. Good luck trapping him. Easier said then done. Plus to trap Parker you are leaving a very good 3 point shooter wide open.

The game plan was to defend the 3 point shot vs. the 2nd best 3 point shooting team in the league who was without their post scorer. Then contain Parker. The part that should have scrapped before halftime is to have our big switch on Parker.............Too bad Parker was good enough to beat him by himself. I would have loved to have seen ZaZa come in to give Parker a fard foul and knock him on his a**...............like Bonnor and K. Thomas were doing all game. We never matched their physical play on the defensive end.

The great thing about basketball is that it is a dynamic sport; allowing, nay, requiring adjustments on the fly. I don't think that anyone is terribly upset that Woody decided to deploy his vaunted "SWITCH EVERYTHING™!!!" defensive strategy, but rather, after Parker had surgically diced it to ribbons for the umpteenth time, that nothing at all was done at all was even attempted to mitigate Parker from getting wherever he wanted on the floor at will. So, while we may have been upset if the Spurs had shot us out of the building in the 2nd half because we zoned up or ran help at Parker, at least we could stomach the loss knowing that all viable tactics at our disposal had been exhausted.

Instead, we watched Parker exploit the "SWITCH EVERYTHING™!!!" defense time and again. Most will agree that this is Woody's most basic and fundamental flaw. He fails to make any in-game adjustments on either side of the ball: Exhibit B- the "GO JOE™!!!" offense; Exhibit C - "The Mike Woodson Official Playing Time Chart™" whereby all minutes are pre-allocated to each respective player (or not) regardless of opponent or situation.

What is the hindrance preventing an in-game adjustment? Is Woody too stubborn? Disinterested? Lacking the mental or intestinal wherewithal?

No doubt the players play and win or lose the games but when there is such an obvious disparity in coaching ability as was on display last night it can definitely make a difference.

Woody does some things well but this is one thing that frustrates me (and others) to no end.

Edited by jhay610

The Spurs had some struggles from 3 in recent games. Three point shooting by it's nature is up and down.

But Parker isn't going to miss many layups which he could get any time on Horford. I am not knocking Horford since he usually does a decent job when switched onto smaller players. But leaving him to deal with Parker alone is like leaving him to deal with Shaq or Howard alone.

It was clear that Pop was going to keep milking the situation until Woody made an adjustment. Of course, Woody being the moron he is, Pop never had to go to plan B.

The end of the first quarter was a classic case of a real coach vs Mr Potato Head. Woody runs his typical end of quarter iso and Flip gets stuffed. The Spurs get the ball across half court and get fouled with 2.2 seconds left. Inbouding the ball near halfcourt with 2.2 seconds left they wind up with an uncontested backdoor layup.

They had more movement in 2.2 seconds than the Hawks usually have with a full clock.

Edited by exodus

Some nights nothing can stop a player. 42 and 10 is a monster game. Short of having 10 players on the floor, I'm not sold that any defense would have slowed Parker last night.

If Parker's teammates had to pick him up off the floor a few times due to some hard fouls when he penetrates for those easy uncontested layups, that would have slowed him down.

If Parker's teammates had to pick him up off the floor a few times due to some hard fouls when he penetrates for those easy uncontested layups, that would have slowed him down.

Which brings us back to the coaching aspect of everything. Players need to be told to be aggressive and commit tough fouls on a player, when the said player is shredding us. I would hope that if that situation arises again in the playoffs, Woody will have enough sense to direct his players to not give up such easy buckets...or the players are intelligent enough to take action themselves.

That is a problem.

We neither give hard fouls or Take charges.

We "Ole" and hope to make a block. We need to put guys to their behinds sometime and we need to step into the paint for a foul too.

Need to be more physical, enough of the "cissy" ball. Oouie a jumper!! (crap).

Gotta be willing to give up your body to win.