• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sportsouth Feature on the Hawks

atlien

Im just wondering if anyone either 1) saw this or 2) knows where we can see this.

From Sekou's blog on Sunday:

http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2009/03/29/legi...fid=blogs_hawks

UNDER THE LIGHTS

For those of you that just can’t get enough for these Hawks, there’s an interesting show airing tonight on Fox SportSouth at 6:30, after the Hawks-Lakers game.

It’s a 30-minute snapshot of a NBA life called Under the Lights-Hawks Road Trip. There’s footage that is well worth watching (I know, I saw an advance copy Friday afternoon courtesy of the fine folks - namely Kate Hart - at Fox).

The cameras had access to some things I never get to see in person, like breakfast meetings on the road trip and locker room access at halftime and pregame, long after they jettison those of us in the media.

I spoke Saturday with Keith Wetzler, the producer of original programming for Fox (and also the man who produced that special on Joe Johnson, Dominique Wilkins‘ Hall of Fame induction show and those very helpful A-Town Dancers shows), and we talked about the delicate dance of trying to get behind the scenes without crossing the line.

“We were trying to take the fans into the places they’ve never been before,” Wetzler said. “Fans don’t get to see what goes on in the locker room, on the charter flights and in the breakfast meetings. We were a fly on the wall for the fans. The goal was two fold, take them into the places they’ve never seen before and show them personality they’ve never seen.”

Johnson showed off more of the personality we see from him at practice and in the locker room that is rarely on display during games (when most fans get their only glimpse of him). It’ll be surprising for some people to see him like that.

When I asked Wetzler if he was surprised at all by how comfortable the players were with the cameras constantly in their faces, he said he was not.

“I pretty much knew what to expect,” Wetzler said. “And it wasn’t a ‘get out of my face’ type deal. I explained to the [Hawks] what we were trying to do and they responded. We were there to show the entire experience and to bring the fans along for the ride.”

Ive been all over the globe the last little while... normally only watch the Hawks game online or right as its starting. I never have time to watch Hawks Live.

Glad to hear they are re-airing though. It looks really interesting... I always like seeing the behind-the-scenes dynamics as they can say a lot about the team and its various players. Ill be looking out for a rerun.

Can anyone somehow tape this or something and upload it online? I don't have Sportsouth.

I have it on my DVR. I just don't have a TV turner on my PC to burn or even move to my hard drive. Man, I really need to get me one of those things. It was a good show.

Like I said the other night on the chat window.... the one thing that got me wondering is they were taping this on a back2back game Jan30th we played home against NJ / Jan 31 @ the Bucks.

They got in Milwaukee at 2am in the morning and JJ said he was going to his room and watch TV. :cant believe: I was like "DANG MAN, YOU HAVE A GAME!" LOL

The Hawks loss. JJ was 8 out of 22 shooting, 22pts, 9ast, and 3 turnovers.

But who knows, JJ may do that on ever trip. It may work for him.

Edited by Brotha2ThaNite

I saw it. It was pretty decent. It showed the team going through there walk through before the Mil game. They didn't have time to get to the gym, so they cleared out a dinning area at there hotel and taped a lane on the carpet and went over defensive assignments.

I found it kind of funny that Woody hardly ever said anything about the offense during the show.

JJ was the main talker on the team. Smoove was pretty quite and appeared half a sleep through most of it. Flip got on him about his camo shorts in one part.

Bibby didn't say much and seemed to be 'above it all' to me.