• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Would anybody be against Mike Fratello coaching the Hawks one more time?

HAWKS1986

Fratello has had a front row seat as a broadcaster the past two years of the Hawks faltering bad on the road in the playoffs and probably has a sense of what is needed to help this team get better.

Nique and Czar probably exchanged points of view about what is needed, and what he would do differently from Woody.

No thank you I'd much rather have Avery Johnson or Eddie Jordan (with a strong defensive minded assistant). More power to Fratello getting back into the NBA but he certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

Avery Johnson would be a good choice. He is a much younger coach, who has had more success. He has won championships, and even coached in a NBA final.

No thank you I'd much rather have Avery Johnson or Eddie Jordan (with a strong defensive minded assistant). More power to Fratello getting back into the NBA but he certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

I agree. I would welcome Fratello in the sense that he is a major upgrade over Woody, but we can do much better than him at his age. Let's open up the bank and get a real coach. With the team we have, we will get more bang for our buck with a real coach than with any player we can sign.

• Premium Member
I agree. I would welcome Fratello in the sense that he is a major upgrade over Woody, but we can do much better than him at his age. Let's open up the bank and get a real coach. With the team we have, we will get more bang for our buck with a real coach than with any player we can sign.

Agreed. At this point the players are there, it's the coaching that needs help. I can't defend Woody anymore. If Fratello actually WANTS the job, for the love of God, GIVE IT TO HIM!!!!!!! I think I speak for everyone when I say I've seen enough of this offense.

Agreed. At this point the players are there, it's the coaching that needs help. I can't defend Woody anymore. If Fratello actually WANTS the job, for the love of God, GIVE IT TO HIM!!!!!!! I think I speak for everyone when I say I've seen enough of this offense.

The first consideration when getting a new coach would be is it an upgrade. Not just this series but overall. The team won 47 games but they look miserable the last 2 games. At this point it does not look like it would take much to upgrade Woody. I to am disgusted with this offense and for that fact this defense. I think in order that the Hawks could consider Avery, Van Gundy, Fratello and Eddie Jordan.

Who constitutes a "real coach" in your opinion? I guess you don't like coaches with winning records.

At least if we stick with WOody can we please get an assistant coach with some offensive sets.

What makes you think that Woodson would listen to his assistants? He doesn't seem to know or in the past, there is no reason to think that he will in the future.

If the Spirit need to stay on the cheap, hire Mark Price. Price will at least install a disciplined, motion offense.

Who constitutes a "real coach" in your opinion? I guess you don't like coaches with winning records.

153-256 is not a winning record. It's not 40%. He has 1 winning season out of 5, and it is painfully obvious that they've been winning in spite of him. A real coach is a coach who:

-doesn't totally ignore 50% of the game (offense)

-understands reasonable substitution patterns

-understands minute management in a game but also over the course of the season

-has the team looking better out of a timeout than before it

-grooms and develop players in ways to maximize their potential and help the team, not in whatever way they want to go

-develops a team identity that can be expected on most nights

-develops an offensive system not limited to isolations

-gets some consistency out of his team

-doesn't banish players to the doghouse for personal or non-existant reasons like a child and cripple their development

Woodson is one of the worst coaches I have ever seen at this level. If you give a guy enough time with a group of players they will eventually have some decent years despite him, on talent alone. The only good thing Woody has done is to keep them generally motivated throughout all the losing. But even then, he has generally failed to get them focused for the big games that matter, like trying to clinch the playoffs last year or the last couple of games. The only time the players have looked sharp in important games was last year's playoffs and I attribute that mostly to the incredible crowds that had been waiting 10 years to party.

Woodson is a joke. I only hope we get a coach in here with a legit offensive system so you can open your eyes and realize what a horribly ugly product you've been watching for the past 5 years. That being said, I realize that there is virtually no chance of that happening.

153-256 is not a winning record. It's not 40%. He has 1 winning season out of 5, and it is painfully obvious that they've been winning in spite of him. A real coach is a coach who:

-doesn't totally ignore 50% of the game (offense)

-understands reasonable substitution patterns

-understands minute management in a game but also over the course of the season

-has the team looking better out of a timeout than before it

-grooms and develop players in ways to maximize their potential and help the team, not in whatever way they want to go

-develops a team identity that can be expected on most nights

-develops an offensive system not limited to isolations

-gets some consistency out of his team

-doesn't banish players to the doghouse for personal or non-existant reasons like a child and cripple their development

Woodson is one of the worst coaches I have ever seen at this level. If you give a guy enough time with a group of players they will eventually have some decent years despite him, on talent alone. The only good thing Woody has done is to keep them generally motivated throughout all the losing. But even then, he has generally failed to get them focused for the big games that matter, like trying to clinch the playoffs last year or the last couple of games. The only time the players have looked sharp in important games was last year's playoffs and I attribute that mostly to the incredible crowds that had been waiting 10 years to party.

Woodson is a joke. I only hope we get a coach in here with a legit offensive system so you can open your eyes and realize what a horribly ugly product you've been watching for the past 5 years. That being said, I realize that there is virtually no chance of that happening.

Fratello's coaching record is well above .500. I assume you're quoting Woodson's record. :no-no:

You poo-pooed Fratello in favor of a "real coach" and that was where my response was directed. I never wanted Woodson. I wanted us to get Byron Scott.

Edited by Watchman

Oh my bad.

I think Fratello is a decent coach but he's pretty much finished. At THIS STAGE of his career, we would look better than we do right now, but I'm not sure that we'd get all that far. I think Fratello is a guy who has a tremendous basketball mind but is a little overrated as a coach. He always did fine in the regular season, but never got too much done in the postseason. He has lost 68% of his playoff games and his last playoff series win was in the 80's.

Now again don't get me wrong, he would be like a gift from heaven compared to Woody, but I think he is a little overrated around here due to his connection to the hawks' heyday.

When I said let's get a real coach, I meant to say "let's really try to get the best guy we can and not settle".