• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Interesting article

coachx

Interesting article that some guy posted in Sekou's blog about Ron Artest. Simply substitue Smoove's name in for Artest and the article does not miss a beat.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-40-1...e-Pit-Bull.html

Sherman Alexie: Cage the Pit Bull

May 19, 2009 3:02 PM

From an older TrueHoop post:

When Ron Artest was new to Houston, Rockets analysts noticed that he was taking some shots from inefficient spots on the floor. Ordinarily, that's the kind of thing the team might talk to a player about, but GM Daryl Morey wasn't sure how best to approach the new guy.

So he went to Artest's teammate, Shane Battier, and asked him what he thought they should do.

Battier, Morey told the crowd at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, said that it would be a mistake to stifle Artest. Artest, he said, is a pit bull, and you "can't cage a pit bull."

Then, of course, Artest went on to play very well in most aspects of the game. But he also demonstrated atrocious shot selection throughout the playoffs, finishing 23 of 83 from downtown, and 80 of 203 from the floor. (That means that if Artest had normal shot selection, I bet video would bear this out, the Rockets would have had 30+ extra possessions to play with. If they had that, isn't almost likely that Jason Friedman would not yet be writing lyrical tributes to the season that was on Rockets.com?)

Of course, it's not that simple. It's entirely possible that if Artest felt constrained by the team, he wouldn't have been as good a teammate as he was. And that could have hurt them in other ways.

Who knows what would work better. But for the record, there is another, harsher, way, to handle such things. Writer Sherman Alexie outlines, in an e-mail, how that works.

About every three months, some friend of a friend of a friend somehow shows up at our weekly game, and he's the guy who's a pretty good athlete, who skis and skateboards and rollerblades and lifts three days a week and mountain climbs and hikes and runs and plays summer softball and volleyball on a co-ed team at the gym and plays pickup hoops maybe twice a year, and he can run forever with that great cardio, and he plays hard, but he, for reasons unknown, somehow thinks that he can shoot, and thus launches up the worst kind of jumpers any man has ever known, just ridiculous off-balance bombs that slam off the rim, leading to the opposing team's fast break buckets, and demoralizing the shooter's teammates.

Halfway through any given night, it's my job to yell and scream at the guy until he either stops and plays within his limits, or I kick him out of our gym.

Last week, this guy argued with me.

"You are 0-7," I said. "Stop shooting."

"But I was open. Every time."

"Have you ever wondered why you are completely open every time you touch the ball? Have you ever wondered why nobody ever comes within ten feet of you? Have you ever wondered why your man is always double-teaming one of your teammates? Have you ever considered that you're so open because the other team wants you to shoot so they can gobble up the long rebound and fast break?"

He didn't answer. Then, during the next game, as Aaron got the ball in the low post and started backing down his man, the volleyball guy yelled out, "Swing it! Swing it! Swing it!"

Yes, he was loudly suggesting that our best player pass out of a single-coverage post-up to the worst shooter in the greater Seattle area.

Why do I tell you this story?

Because I am sure each Rocket wants to beat the s--- out of Ron Artest, that amazing athlete, for being such a selfish, self-deluded idiot on offense.

Houston Rockets, 2009 Playoffs, Ron Artest

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Artest took more bad shots in the Lakers series than Smoove did but the point still remains. He needs to develop his low post game and a jump shot up to 18 feet, no more. I don't know how much is Woodson because we know the Hawks make zero point zero effort to ever score in the low post.

I understand WHY Josh wants to shoot the long jumpers. If you noticed when he was dominating inside in the game against the cavs, after halftime they made adjustments and played off of him, limiting his effectiveness inside. He understands that he's going to have to hit that shot.

HOWEVER, he should focus strictly on the short midrange shot. He should look at the jumpshots that Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett takes. Midrange. At PF you HAVE to hit midrange jumpers but have no need to hit 3s. If he worked strictly on the midrange jumper and not waste his time on the 3 point shot, he'd be good.

I understand WHY Josh wants to shoot the long jumpers. If you noticed when he was dominating inside in the game against the cavs, after halftime they made adjustments and played off of him, limiting his effectiveness inside. He understands that he's going to have to hit that shot.

HOWEVER, he should focus strictly on the short midrange shot. He should look at the jumpshots that Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett takes. Midrange. At PF you HAVE to hit midrange jumpers but have no need to hit 3s. If he worked strictly on the midrange jumper and not waste his time on the 3 point shot, he'd be good.

Good points.