• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

All of you guys have Draft Fever...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Why are you guys trading core players for a shot at #7 or #5?

This draft is weak in impact players. It's full of PGs and role players. Even the #1 pick overall has bust potential.

The way I see it is that Thabeet is the only guy up top that can help us. Otherwise, every other pick is comparable to #19. If we trade down for a PG that is not head and shoulders better than the PG we can get at 19... and we waste a Core player to do this... we are FOOLS.

• Premium Member

4 Words: Jeff Teague BJ Mullens

Don't say it's not possible. Hawks have more than a few trading chips this year.

Its all in fun dude, relax. I would like to get Curry though to learn behind Bibby. In essence you are right though, if Sund does his homework we can get a guy at 19 that can turn out to be one of the top 5 guys taken in this draft. Problem is Sund has never done anything but draft C level players and complete busts.

Problem is Sund has never done anything but draft C level players and complete busts.

What is the definition of a "C level player" and complete bust? The below list is from a post by Kimsey:

http://www.hawksquawk.net/community/index....howtopic=336930

Vlad Radmanovic

Earl Watson

Bobby Simmons

Nick Collision

Luke Ridnour

Willie Green

Robert Swift

Johan Petro

Mickael Gelabale

Saer Sene

Sene was the only true bust. Outside of pgs, no good players available after that pick in 2006. The average selection of his 1st round picks is #14, not bad.

So no he hasn't hit on an All-Star player but he's had some pretty solid role players and that's what we need to surround our core with. I'd be a little more concerned if we didn't have any young stars already on the team or a 3 time All-Star but we're only in need of good cap management and filling the roster with solid role players and Sund excels at that.

What is the definition of a "C level player" and complete bust? The below list is from a post by Kimsey:

So no he hasn't hit on an All-Star player but he's had some pretty solid role players and that's what we need to surround our core with. I'd be a little more concerned if we didn't have any young stars already on the team or a 3 time All-Star but we're only in need of good cap management and filling the roster with solid role players and Sund excels at that.

Maybe Im alone here but when I look at that list I see it as a very, very sad list of players. I know its hard to get a superstar or even an all star when your picking in the middle of the draft but maybe you could get a starter or two. Not one of those guys could have started for the 2008/09 Hawks unless somebody was hurt.

By the way that list was compiled by a someone who was huggin Sunds nuts because while he did draft Willie Green and Bobbie Simmons he did it for other teams because they were immediatly traded. I think Simmons was traded for the rights to Prdrag Drobniak who we all know and love and Green was traded for the rights to a guy I cant remember and never heard of before that but I dont think he ever played in the nba

Is it just me or do people think that Sund was only Seattle's GM and worked nowhere else in the NBA? Plus NJ its hard arguing Sund's picks up against our roster considering that 2/3rds of our roster were all lotto picks yet alone top 10 picks at that so you'd expect higher starter quality talent from our group.

This draft is weak in impact players. It's full of PGs and role players. Even the #1 pick overall has bust potential.

The way I see it is that Thabeet is the only guy up top that can help us. Otherwise, every other pick is comparable to #19. If we trade down for a PG that is not head and shoulders better than the PG we can get at 19... and we waste a Core player to do this... we are FOOLS.

The No. 1 pick this year only has bust potential in that every pick has bust potential, especially when being drafted by the LA Clippers.

It's just fun to see what kind of quality players the Hawks can draft and put in their system and develop him into a sucky player. Chis Paul would have probably been a bust as a Hawk. It's not the player it's the system and our system stinks.

Hawk88

Is it just me or do people think that Sund was only Seattle's GM and worked nowhere else in the NBA? Plus NJ its hard arguing Sund's picks up against our roster considering that 2/3rds of our roster were all lotto picks yet alone top 10 picks at that so you'd expect higher starter quality talent from our group.

You would think he would have nailed one or two though. I mean some of those guys were late lotto picks. As for our guys I know Bibby, Marv and Al were top 5 but I think JJ was 10 and Smoove I know was 17. I think some of those guys Sund drafted were in that area of the draft and none could start for us. Seattle is being used because that is Sunds most recent body of work. I mean if you wanted to hire Lenny Wilkens as your coach today you would base it off what you saw from him with the Knicks you wouldnt base it off the world title he won in Seattle or even what he did with the Hawks because it was a long, long time ago.

my_hair_is_a_bird-257x300.jpg

You would think he would have nailed one or two though. I mean some of those guys were late lotto picks. As for our guys I know Bibby, Marv and Al were top 5 but I think JJ was 10 and Smoove I know was 17. I think some of those guys Sund drafted were in that area of the draft and none could start for us. Seattle is being used because that is Sunds most recent body of work. I mean if you wanted to hire Lenny Wilkens as your coach today you would base it off what you saw from him with the Knicks you wouldnt base it off the world title he won in Seattle or even what he did with the Hawks because it was a long, long time ago.

But he has drafted starters and there have been servicable starters, there is no argument over any of his picks as compared to a team with two #2s a #3 a #10 and then Smoove out at #17 in their starting lineup. As for basing someones credentials off of recent history that is preposterous. Are you saying that Larry Brown wouldn't have gotten his current job because of his last stint with the Knicks? Your larger body of work is what people look at not the few years that you spent with a franchise that was trying to cut payroll before they could be sold off to a guy that intended to move the team. If we are so fixated on his Seattle history why not discuss the Ray Allen and our beloved Flip for an aging Glove deal? It's not as if he passed up surefire allstars for any of his picks even picking Saer at 8th, who exactly was picked after him? The only starter or player of consequence picked after him is Rondo are you going to blame him for that? The guy is a shrewd organization's dream, he does the best with the picks that he has and is able to find cheap talent in FAcy and swing deals for great talent while still remaining within financial constraints. His years in the league have given him that expertise.

Its all in fun dude, relax. I would like to get Curry though to learn behind Bibby. In essence you are right though, if Sund does his homework we can get a guy at 19 that can turn out to be one of the top 5 guys taken in this draft. Problem is Sund has never done anything but draft C level players and complete busts.

Poking fun at D. is my way of relaxing. You are right . . . . it is all in good fun.

• Premium Member
Here is a bit of irony . . . . . the guy who has another crazy trade idea every other day asking why some of you want to trade core players. Hmmm.

Relax dude, nobody said anything about your mancrush Marvin WIlliams.

Poking fun at D. is my way of relaxing. You are right . . . . it is all in good fun.

LOL this post was directed toward D's post. I just meant that talking about trdaes and trading up and making moves is all in good fun. WTF else is there to do but wait till stern utters those famous words " With the 19th pick in the 2009 nba draft the ATLANTER ( thats how he always pronounces Atlanta) HAWKS SELECT ............................. Once that happens let all the madness and pick bashing begin. lol

Edited by NJHAWK

But he has drafted starters and there have been servicable starters, there is no argument over any of his picks as compared to a team with two #2s a #3 a #10 and then Smoove out at #17 in their starting lineup. As for basing someones credentials off of recent history that is preposterous. Are you saying that Larry Brown wouldn't have gotten his current job because of his last stint with the Knicks? Your larger body of work is what people look at not the few years that you spent with a franchise that was trying to cut payroll before they could be sold off to a guy that intended to move the team. If we are so fixated on his Seattle history why not discuss the Ray Allen and our beloved Flip for an aging Glove deal? It's not as if he passed up surefire allstars for any of his picks even picking Saer at 8th, who exactly was picked after him? The only starter or player of consequence picked after him is Rondo are you going to blame him for that? The guy is a shrewd organization's dream, he does the best with the picks that he has and is able to find cheap talent in FAcy and swing deals for great talent while still remaining within financial constraints. His years in the league have given him that expertise.

Vlad was pick 12, Luke pick 14, Collison pick 12, Sene pick 10. All of those were in the same range of 10-17 that Joe and Josh were but none is half the player that they are. So we have 2 starters picked 10 or after and not one of Sunds picks could start for this past years Hawks unless somebody got hurt. I would even go as far to say that those guys would be scratching and clawing for minutes on the Hawks team unless there was injury.

Edited by NJHAWK

Vlad was pick 12, Luke pick 14, Collison pick 12, Sene pick 10. All of those were in the same range of 10-17 that Joe and Josh were but none is half the player that they are. So we have 2 starters picked 10 or after and not one of Sunds picks could start for this past years Hawks unless somebody got hurt. I would even go as far to say that those guys would be scratching and clawing for minutes on the Hawks team unless there was injury.

You don't think Ridnour would be the first PG off the bench? You don't think that once Woody got tired of seeing Bibby get burned for the 20th time that he wouldn't throw Watson in there to locked down someone? You don't think Collinson would be the number one backup at the PF position? You don't think Vlad would have been an awesome shooter to have off the bench at the SF position instead of Mo?

Your argument doesn't make sense. You are literally trying to argue a team with 3 starters in 1-3 range then another in the 1-10 range up against players in the 12-15 range? You think Smoove at 17 throws off the average in favor of our team? By average our entire starting lineup is picked a shade under 7, by average his picks are at 12 even. Those are not the same range at all, it is fact you are going to find better quality players with a number 7 pick than a 12. Once again look at who he picked in all those drafts, did he miss out on any impact players that would be slotted in that 12-15 range? If he missed on someone it most likely was someone that 20 other GMs missed on so you can't levie that on him.

I mentioned Sene at 10, his lowest selection, was not considered such a bad pick because considering that only Rondo at 21 was the only player of any merit picked after him in the first round why not take a gamble on a bigman project. What? You are going to argue he took Swift a very intriguing bigman prospect with an established post game out of highschool at 12 over Smoove a SF tweener when he already had Rashard Lewis on his team? The guy is not a bad GM considering the circumstances of his draft positions, the ownership issues he was saddled with and the number of quality trades that he has done over his career.

You can't make one legitimate argument over who didn't pick unlike our last GM and are just here bitching about who he did pick.

Edited by MaCeCase