• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What do you want our lineup to look like during the season?

mattlanta

In the beginning of the season, I think our lineup should look something like this...

After re-signing Zaza, Flip, Marvin, and M. West and then signing Haslem...

PG: Crawford / Teague

SG: Johnson / Flip / West

SF: Williams / Evans

PF: Smith / Haslem

C: Horford / Zaza / Morris

And then after we think Teague is ready, switch the lineup around like so...

PG: Teague / Flip

SG: Johnson / Crawford / West

PF: Smith / Haslem

C: Horford / Zaza / Morris

I'm not sure how much money we have. Do you guys think we have enough money to resign all of Zaza, Marvin, and maybe even Flip? I wasn't really sure if I wanted Flip back, but I forgot which shooting guards are available via FA. I'm not in favor of Crawford starting point guard but it does make sense that we would give him a shot there as the ASG is sure not paying $8 million to bench him.

• Premium Member

First and foremost, I want us to pick up Brevin Knight and Antonio McDyess out of FAcy.

Then I want us to get: Zaza, Flip, Marvin (1 yr) and Harrington Back.

Then I would like to see:

Teague/Knight

Craw/Flip

Joe/Marvin/Mo

Smoove/Harrington

Horf/McDyess/Zaza

Sund ought to demand that this becomes Teague's team.

Let Knight tutor him on how to run a team.

However, we go from the aspect of Speed Kills.

If Woody can't stay in that line, let's bring in a coach who can.

• Premium Member

I don't see this team going into the season with either a rookie or a SG as their starting PG.

I think if you held a gun to his head and forced Sund to admit it, he's still got signing Bibby on his to-do list; and frankly, to continue the momentum, I'd be scared to see us go into the season without him or another veteran PG of his ilk.

Teague is not ready--I can't see anyone disputing that. Crawford is Flip--he's going to get minutes at PG, but moreso than Flip, he's what's going to keep Joe from averaging so many regular season minutes.

I see these primary rotations in the backcourt:

PG: Bibby / Crawford / Teague

SG: Johnson / Crawford

The front court is more fluid. I don't know that he'll be able to get it done, but I think it's clear that Sund has every intention of getting something done with Chilz, and if he could possibly be successful, I believe that is the key piece to getting another big... for the sake of argument here, I'm imagining a Chilz for Pryz trade. Regardless, I contend that there will be a bona fide 4-man rotation down there this season where there's been a 3-man. Andersen instead of ZaZa b/c it sounds like Sund is inclined to think ZaZa will get a better offer.

PF: Smith / Andersen

C: Horford / Pryzbilla

I don't see this team going into the season with either a rookie or a SG as their starting PG.

I think if you held a gun to his head and forced Sund to admit it, he's still got signing Bibby on his to-do list; and frankly, to continue the momentum, I'd be scared to see us go into the season without him or another veteran PG of his ilk.

Teague is not ready--I can't see anyone disputing that. Crawford is Flip--he's going to get minutes at PG, but moreso than Flip, he's what's going to keep Joe from averaging so many regular season minutes.

I see these primary rotations in the backcourt:

PG: Bibby / Crawford / Teague

SG: Johnson / Crawford

The front court is more fluid. I don't know that he'll be able to get it done, but I think it's clear that Sund has every intention of getting something done with Chilz, and if he could possibly be successful, I believe that is the key piece to getting another big... for the sake of argument here, I'm imagining a Chilz for Pryz trade. Regardless, I contend that there will be a bona fide 4-man rotation down there this season where there's been a 3-man. Andersen instead of ZaZa b/c it sounds like Sund is inclined to think ZaZa will get a better offer.

PF: Smith / Andersen

C: Horford / Pryzbilla

Good post Sturt. I agree with your ideas here.

I really don't see where Bibby, Flip, Crawford, and Teague can co-exist on this team. Flip is the logical odd-man out.

The great thing that Sund did was use junk assests to get Crawford, which then frees up the MLE to get a big man in FA. Nice moves.

• Premium Member

I think the cap will dictate what we do first and foremost. If Bibby is scoffing at a 7 million dollar deal, then we will make other arrangements. You guys' love of Andersen is funny. Nobody will bring Andersen over. BK didn't do it. Sund won't do it either. We didn't pick up Crawford to be a BU. He hasn't been a BU in 6 yrs. That's like if somebody traded for Smoove and put him on the bench. That wouldn't make sense either. Moreover, Craw will have a bigger impact on this team than Marvin. Marvin starting No longer makes sense. Flip will probably be back so CRAWFORD IS NOT FLIP!!!

• Premium Member
The great thing that Sund did was use junk assests to get Crawford, which then frees up the MLE to get a big man in FA. Nice moves.

Well, truthfully, I think Sund was only doing what would have made sense to any other GM... he had financial assets that he needed to turn-into basketball assets given that his club just finished #4 in the conference.

I'm not even willing to give Sund the total benefit of a doubt that obtaining Crawford was his best option... but we'll never know. Still, he pulled the string on what most of us consider to be a good deal, regardless of whether or not it was the best deal.

Otoh, I'm less bullish on this idea that he's going to be using the MLE. That's not the MO of what we've seen of this ownership group. I might be more bullish if the Belkin thing were done and over, but I'm not even sure that that gives room for the additional salary.

And as for Diesel... I think your argument amounts to wishful thinking on your part... Crawford is going to take Flip's role except that he'll get more of Joe's minutes. Woodson would be wise to resign on his own than to accept what you're suggesting.

Well, truthfully, I think Sund was only doing what would have made sense to any other GM... he had financial assets that he needed to turn-into basketball assets given that his club just finished #4 in the conference.

I'm not even willing to give Sund the total benefit of a doubt that obtaining Crawford was his best option... but we'll never know. Still, he pulled the string on what most of us consider to be a good deal, regardless of whether or not it was the best deal.

Otoh, I'm less bullish on this idea that he's going to be using the MLE. That's not the MO of what we've seen of this ownership group. I might be more bullish if the Belkin thing were done and over, but I'm not even sure that that gives room for the additional salary.

I understand your trepidation, it is certainly warrented. I guess what I am seeing is that the Hawks now can use the MLE to acquire a big man in FA.

In all, the roster still has holes that need to be filled:

Starting PG

2 BU bigs

Maybe another SF/PF type

That's a big shoping list for the resources on hand. Given those needs, I don't really see how the Hawks can't use the MLE, but it is possible (probable?) they go with vet minimum type contracts to fill out some of those holes.

Trades might be able to cover one or maybe two of those holes, but I don't think you can do it all with trades.

Personally, I like resigning Flip and Zaza, letting Bibby walk, and signing-and-trading Childress for Chris Wilcox, who's a free agent this summer I believe:

PG: Flip Murray Jeff Teague

SG: Joe Johnson Jamal Crawford

SF: Marvin Williams Mo Evans

PF: Josh Smith Chris Wilcox

CR: Al Horford Zaza Pachulia

Flip is a better defender and had about the same PER as Bibby, and he'll be a lot cheaper. Wilcox would give us a productive and athletic backup PF who could also play C.

I think the cap will dictate what we do first and foremost. If Bibby is scoffing at a 7 million dollar deal, then we will make other arrangements. You guys' love of Andersen is funny. Nobody will bring Andersen over. BK didn't do it. Sund won't do it either. We didn't pick up Crawford to be a BU. He hasn't been a BU in 6 yrs. That's like if somebody traded for Smoove and put him on the bench. That wouldn't make sense either. Moreover, Craw will have a bigger impact on this team than Marvin. Marvin starting No longer makes sense. Flip will probably be back so CRAWFORD IS NOT FLIP!!!

If Manu and Odum can be a sixth man, then certainly Crawford, Marvin, or Smoothe can be a sixth. Can't only works if it is in their contract and I have never heard of a "must be starter clause" yet.

Just have to wait and see; but I do think Crawford was brought here with the loss of Bibby and/or Flip in mind. Hope I am wrong and we are adding more talent to our roster and we resign both! Or add someone like Miller or another PG to take in the loss of Bibby and/or Flip...

Off seasons are fun! So much going on while we fans sit here helpless lol

Edited by Buzzard

In terms of signing and trading for an unrestricted free agent, I don't know if that's possible, but it seems to me like unrestricted free agents still sometimes do sign-and-trades with their former team because they get some kind of benefit in terms of additional money or years. I don't think we'd want to pay Wilcox additional money and years, but I'd somehow love to turn Childress into a solid backup PF.