• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why Woody has to play Teague

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

My first thought was that Teague would be lucky to get any PT under Woody. It's no secret that Woody has had a history of pulling young players after a couple bad plays then placing them in his dreaded doghouse for days.

Not this time guys! Teague's is a 1st-round pick and his success is directly tied to the success of Rick Sund. You think Sund what's another stain on his draft record? Don't think so.

OK we all know the GM has no business dictating who plays but fact is Woody's a lame duck coach (that was not hired by Sund) and Teague is the #19 pick so you tell me who has more value to ASG & Sund? Unless this guy is injury prone (and I'm praying that he's not) he should get major PT from day one.

Edited by ClintEasthood

• Premium Member
Sund already has stains on his draft record. Did u see the way he left Seattle? 3 bust centers 3 straight years. Woody aint gotta do jack

yeah...but I doubt he wants any new stains. Woody is in the same boat.

• Premium Member
No reason to bold the word "1st Round". Teague's not the first 1st round PG we've had in ATL.

the first 1st-round PG drafted by Sund or Billy Knight. True???

There are several things in play and few different scenarios in regard to Teague's rookie season:

1. Negative outcomes:

a) If we re-sign Bibby, or sign any other veteran PG,

b) Woody is in his final year, so he's going to play safe whatever that means... He'll basically play with proven players!

c) Consensus on Teague (around the league) was that he was 1-2 years away from being able to go at NBA level... Nobody was questioning his talents, but there was a concern about his physical readyness most of all.

Mentioned scenarios do not favor Teague's playing time, or his bigger role in our rotation.

2. Positive

a) Teague was Sund's pick! However, unlike BK in the past, Sund wisely had Woody on board... so, having this understanding, we could also assume that kid will be given a fair shot,

b) If we re-sign Williams, there won't be much room left under our cap and it will be highly unlikely that we'll sign a veteran PG...

Under such circumstances Teague could be given a fair shot...

Edited by T21

• Premium Member
Anyone remember that 1st-round pick we made a couple of years ago...who was that guy....oh yeah - ACIE LAW

Always thought he was a 2nd round pick. But the Hawks may have had two 1st-round picks that year and selected Acie late.

Addendum:

Wow!!! I totally forgot that he was #11 overall. Well that pretty makes this whole post garbage. Oh well there goes my theory! Now I take a 180 on the whole thing. Teague better get accustom to being in Woody's doghouse.

Edited by ClintEasthood

• Moderators

There are three things that work against you with Woody (with guards anyway). If you are hurt a lot, if you can't knock down shots, you play shoddy defense. If Teague stays healthy, can knock down 3s like we know he can, and makes an effort on D (as much as Bibby) then he will see time. Woody doesn't care about play makers. JJ is the play maker.

So the point is you have to have 2 of 3 items. Acie failed on injuries and shooting (plus his d wasn't great). You can certainly make the case that Woody played a huge role in not developing but I'm just saying that Teague could be very different. Stay healthy and knock down 3s and he's in the game.

• Premium Member
Somehow, some way, Woody will find a reason not to play Teague.

I still think the player has more power this time around. A coach of Woody's caliber comes a dime a dozen and a good PG is damn hard to find.

• Moderators

In Woody's defense here are the only prominent draftees who have been in his doghouse:

* Salim Stoudamire - Not offered a contract after the Hawks

* Shelden Williams - Not even offered to finish his rookie contract; cut by the struggling T-Wolves

* Acie Law - ??

So far Woodson is 2 for 2 in calling out guys for whom the rest of the league shares his lack of respect. I hope for Acie that Woodson isn't 3 for 3 but we'll have to wait and see.

(Now I do think Woodson screwed up by not giving Acie a consistent role).

In Woody's defense here are the only prominent draftees who have been in his doghouse:

* Salim Stoudamire - Not offered a contract after the Hawks

* Shelden Williams - Not even offered to finish his rookie contract; cut by the struggling T-Wolves

* Acie Law - ??

So far Woodson is 2 for 2 in calling out guys for whom the rest of the league shares his lack of respect. I hope for Acie that Woodson isn't 3 for 3 but we'll have to wait and see.

(Now I do think Woodson screwed up by not giving Acie a consistent role).

You forgot about Boris Diaw. Furthermore, Woody absolutely killed Salim's confidence. That boy was a gunner, and Woody had him afraid to shoot. Yet, he let a guy like Flip shoot all he wanted. I firmly believe that if Woody had given Salim the freedom to shoot like he gave Flip, Salim would have been a pretty good scorer for us off the bench.

Edited by Antmillennium

• Premium Member
You forgot about Boris Diaw. Furthermore, Woody absolutely killed Salim's confidence. That boy was a gunner, and Woody had him afraid to shoot. Yet, he let a guy like Flip shoot all he wanted. I firmly believe that if Woody had given Salim the freedom to shoot like he gave Flip, Salim would have been a pretty good scorer for us off the bench.

Salim's defense was the main thing that led to his downfall under Woody. Which could be another issue for Teague. Personally I think he could suit up with roller skates and ankle weights and still be better defensively than Bibbs .

Edited by ClintEasthood

• Moderators

Salim was so bad that no one in the league wanted him as their 13th man. That is a bust no matter what anyone says about Woody, IMO.

I didn't forget Diaw either. Woody played Diaw. Diaw started 49% and 38% of games played in his two seasons in Atlanta and averaged 25 and 18 minutes per game his two seasons. That is plenty of time to prove yourself.

The problem with Diaw was that Diaw couldn't play PG or a wing position and Woodson couldn't see to play him at PF or C like Phoenix did. I view Diaw as a problem with properly using a player and an entirely separate issue from the idea of refusing to play someone that we saw with Salim, Law, and Shelden. Just my view on this.

My first thought was that Teague would be lucky to get any PT under Woody. It's no secret that Woody has had a history of pulling young players after a couple bad plays then placing them in his dreaded doghouse for days.

Not this time guys! Teague's is a 1st-round pick and his success is directly tied to the success of Rick Sund. You think Sund what's another stain on his draft record? Don't think so.

OK we all know the GM has no business dictating who plays but fact is Woody's a lame duck coach (that was not hired by Sund) and Teague is the #19 pick so you tell me who has more value to ASG & Sund? Unless this guy is injury prone (and I'm praying that he's not) he should get major PT from day one.

Woody was essentially hired by Sund IMO because he was a free agent and Sund gave him an extension.

I don't think Woody has to play Teague at all, and it probably isn't one of his priorities. Woody is in job saving mode and will have no interest in developing a player. He's going to try and win as many games as possible. If Teague plays well in limited minutes than he may get more time, but I'm honestly not expecting much PT for Teague, especially if we resign Bibby.

Plus, given Woodson's past and playing players like Childress at point, I'm sure he'll have no problem playing Jamal there.