• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Francoeur will be gone soon.

KB21

At least Atlanta was able to sell all those Frenchy T-shirts to the young peaches before he left. I swear, every girl at Turner Field had one.

Church is a class act who just knows how to play baseball...no if's and but's about it. the guy plays the game hard no matter what...and that's Bobby's kind of player.

it's almost guaranteed that he's gonna see platoon action with Diaz in RF. Hopefully, once Infante comes back, we'll see platoon a bit in LF. only problem with that is i think G Anderson hits better against LHP.

hopefully, Bobby maximizes this lineup now...

ugh, sucks to be 5 back now behind Philly...and now they have Ibanez back. let's go Lowe. make it happen. we didnt pay u all this money to be our worst starter! :)

Next up in trade discussions: Kelly Johnson and Jo Jo Reyes.

A lot of talk will surround Javier Vasquez, and something might happen on that front. However, if I'm the Braves, I don't trade him unless I am blown away by an offer from someone.

As I said earlier in this thread, I do not fee Yunel Escobar will be traded. If Atlanta still had a guy like Elvis Andrus (Don't get me started on the Mark Teixiera deal), then they could probably afford to deal Escobar for some outfield help.

The two most likely trade pieces after that are Kelly and Jo Jo. I feel Kelly still has some value. This is his first really bad season, and since he's been playing his rehab games at Gwinnett, he's been raking. Kelly's problem in Atlanta is that he isn't aggressive enough at the plate. He takes way too many pitches, and I would venture to guess that he has struck out looking more than any player on the Braves roster this season. I don't like players that don't want to swing the bat, and I had high hopes for Kelly coming up. I think a team like Oakland would be willing to trade for Kelly. Billy Beane likes players that don't swing the bat.

Jo Jo doesn't have much value at all. It's obvious that he cannot pitch at the major league level with his command issues. With that said, he does have a mid 90s fastball and a good sider, and when he pitches at the AAA level, he dominates. He had a good spring, and I felt the Braves should have sold him high at that point. Now, he will probably be nothing more than a throw in. Someone will be willing to take a chance on a lefty that throws in the mid 90s though.

Why would any team give up something for Kelly Johnson or JoJo Reyes? Neither one has any value at this point. I doubt the Braves do much in the way of making trades, but if they do I would expect Kris Medlen would be involved. Trading Escobar could never have been a real possibility - he's one of our best hitters, and we have nobody to replace him. By the way, I know Elvis is still young, but he's been pretty awful this year, and I don't expect him to be anywhere near the player Yunel is.

Next up in trade discussions: Kelly Johnson and Jo Jo Reyes.

A lot of talk will surround Javier Vasquez, and something might happen on that front. However, if I'm the Braves, I don't trade him unless I am blown away by an offer from someone.

As I said earlier in this thread, I do not fee Yunel Escobar will be traded. If Atlanta still had a guy like Elvis Andrus (Don't get me started on the Mark Teixiera deal), then they could probably afford to deal Escobar for some outfield help.

The two most likely trade pieces after that are Kelly and Jo Jo. I feel Kelly still has some value. This is his first really bad season, and since he's been playing his rehab games at Gwinnett, he's been raking. Kelly's problem in Atlanta is that he isn't aggressive enough at the plate. He takes way too many pitches, and I would venture to guess that he has struck out looking more than any player on the Braves roster this season. I don't like players that don't want to swing the bat, and I had high hopes for Kelly coming up. I think a team like Oakland would be willing to trade for Kelly. Billy Beane likes players that don't swing the bat.

Jo Jo doesn't have much value at all. It's obvious that he cannot pitch at the major league level with his command issues. With that said, he does have a mid 90s fastball and a good sider, and when he pitches at the AAA level, he dominates. He had a good spring, and I felt the Braves should have sold him high at that point. Now, he will probably be nothing more than a throw in. Someone will be willing to take a chance on a lefty that throws in the mid 90s though.

• Premium Member
Why would any team give up something for Kelly Johnson or JoJo Reyes?

At this point, I'm throwing out the window the whole "why would any team" argument.

The Braves just got a decent (not good, but decent) outfielder for free.

• Moderators

At this point, I'm throwing out the window the whole "why would any team" argument.

The Braves just got a decent (not good, but decent) outfielder for free.

While I think Frenchy was done here, he certainly has the athletic talent to make in MLB, IMO. I would like to see him do it, too, as a hometown kid who makes good. His approach at the plate in Atlanta was beyond broken and it will take something like a trade to wake him up and get him to change his approach. I think he is worth a low cost gamble for another team.

Andruw Jones isn't worth it. He's doing very good in Texas for many good reasons. One, he's mainly hitting left-handed pitchers. If we trade for anyone, I'd rather he be able to hit both left and right handed hitters... meaning Andruw Jones is not the answer to our hitting problems. Second, he's hitting in a very-hitter friendly stadium. Texas is one of the hitter-friendliest stadiums in the major leagues. And third, he's playing under one of, if not the best hitting coach in the major leagues. Andruw Jones is not worth it. We should have went after him in the offseason, but not now. I wouldn't trade much for someone like Andruw Jones.

There is a lot of buzz that the Braves and A's are talking about a potential Yunel Escobar and Prospects deal for Matt Holliday and Orlando Cabrera. I am against this deal for a couple of reasons. First, it is very unlikely that Matt Holliday will resign with Atlanta, so this would be a 3 year rental. Second, Orlando Cabrera is not a credible replacement for Yunel at short stop, and the Braves do not currently have anyone in their minor league system that can step up and replace him.

To do this deal, the Braves need Matt Holliday to sign and extension AND they need to have another deal lined up for young short stop. Let's say Javier Vasquez to Milwaukee for JJ Hardy. If I knew I could resign Holliday and get Hardy in another deal, then I would consider this deal. One of the prospects being mentioned in the deal is Cole Rohrbough, who I thought would emerge as the Braves top pitching prospect after Tommy Hanson got promoted. Instead, Cole has struggled for the first time in his career and is battling the thought of being away from his newborn child. Getting him close to home may do him some good.

The Braves are a mid-market team at best. Why would they trade a young affordable shortstop for a 3 month rental who they have zero chance of re-signing. And theyn they're supposed to throw in prosepcts?? What a joke. Where is this so-called buzz coming from? Besides, Holliday's post Rockie stats do not impress me. He's a guy that someone is going to overpay because of his Colorado stats. Escobar's stats are actually better than Holliday's this season, he plays a position that's more difficult to fill with offense, he's younger, cheaper and under control for a little while.

There is a lot of buzz that the Braves and A's are talking about a potential Yunel Escobar and Prospects deal for Matt Holliday and Orlando Cabrera. I am against this deal for a couple of reasons. First, it is very unlikely that Matt Holliday will resign with Atlanta, so this would be a 3 year rental. Second, Orlando Cabrera is not a credible replacement for Yunel at short stop, and the Braves do not currently have anyone in their minor league system that can step up and replace him.

To do this deal, the Braves need Matt Holliday to sign and extension AND they need to have another deal lined up for young short stop. Let's say Javier Vasquez to Milwaukee for JJ Hardy. If I knew I could resign Holliday and get Hardy in another deal, then I would consider this deal. One of the prospects being mentioned in the deal is Cole Rohrbough, who I thought would emerge as the Braves top pitching prospect after Tommy Hanson got promoted. Instead, Cole has struggled for the first time in his career and is battling the thought of being away from his newborn child. Getting him close to home may do him some good.

Edited by Dakin

Why would any team give up something for Kelly Johnson or JoJo Reyes? Neither one has any value at this point. I doubt the Braves do much in the way of making trades, but if they do I would expect Kris Medlen would be involved. Trading Escobar could never have been a real possibility - he's one of our best hitters, and we have nobody to replace him. By the way, I know Elvis is still young, but he's been pretty awful this year, and I don't expect him to be anywhere near the player Yunel is.

Jo Jo Reyes is terrible. He is like a poor man's Russ Ortiz.

I think Matt would play better in Atlanta and Cabrera is a respectable bottom of the order player. This deal could give the Braves a shot at the division. Orlando also is respectable on the base pads:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3739

He's had some 20-25 steal season and he just had 81 RBI's 2 seasons ago. He is better than you think. Not great by any means... But this trade would be a good one I think. Obviously Matt would have to re-sign...

Matt isn't having a good year, but nobody is having a good offensive year for Oakland. Matt is somewhere in between the player in Col and the player in Oak.

I'd say he is a .290 25HR 95RBI type of guy. He also has decent speed on the base pads.

It's not greatest deal though. But the Braves could do worse.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

I think Matt would play better in Atlanta and Cabrera is a respectable bottom of the order player. This deal could give the Braves a shot at the division. Orlando also is respectable on the base pads:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3739

He's had some 20-25 steal season and he just had 81 RBI's 2 seasons ago. He is better than you think. Not great by any means... But this trade would be a good one I think. Obviously Matt would have to re-sign...

Matt isn't having a good year, but nobody is having a good offensive year for Oakland. Matt is somewhere in between the player in Col and the player in Oak.

I'd say he is a .290 25HR 95RBI type of guy. He also has decent speed on the base pads.

It's not greatest deal though. But the Braves could do worse.

I agree Holliday would be a very nice addition, but the cost in terms of both talent and dollars is just too much. Holliday will not resign with the Braves. Boras will try, and probably find someone willing to give him 18+ mil a year- like the Cubs or the Giants. I can't see giving away, young and cheap talent for a 1/2 season rental, esp. when the Braves will have a ton of assests to play with in the offseason (e.g. Vasquez, Hudson, Medlin, plus lower tier guys like Kotchman). I think the Braves need to keep as much talent in house as they can this season and go with improving the offense in the offseason.

As a fan its hard to accept, but the Braves just aren't there in terms of professional hitters. They need at least one big bat in the outfileld and some HR power in the infield. That is just too much to try and grab during the season without emptying the minors.

I agree Holliday would be a very nice addition, but the cost in terms of both talent and dollars is just too much. Holliday will not resign with the Braves. Boras will try, and probably find someone willing to give him 18+ mil a year- like the Cubs or the Giants. I can't see giving away, young and cheap talent for a 1/2 season rental, esp. when the Braves will have a ton of assests to play with in the offseason (e.g. Vasquez, Hudson, Medlin, plus lower tier guys like Kotchman). I think the Braves need to keep as much talent in house as they can this season and go with improving the offense in the offseason.

As a fan its hard to accept, but the Braves just aren't there in terms of professional hitters. They need at least one big bat in the outfileld and some HR power in the infield. That is just too much to try and grab during the season without emptying the minors.

I think Frank Wren is caught in the trap of thinking that he has to make moves to win now as well as not do anything to block some of the young top prospects coming up through the system. Frank Wren strikes me as a guy who is much less likely to deal young guys for rental players, which is why this rumored deal doesn't make sense to me.

Bank on the fact that Frank Wren will not include Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman, or Jordan Schafer in any deal for immediate help, and I doubt he does anything that will block their ascension to the majors in the near future. He's got the exact opposite approach to John Schuerholz when it comes to this.

I wish he would package shaefer and Medlen for a prospect. Medlen should've stayed in the minors. His value is on a rapid nosedive. The Braves have handled him like amateurs. Shaeffer has always been overated as a prospect. His ceiling is Juan Pierre without the stolen bases.

I think Frank Wren is caught in the trap of thinking that he has to make moves to win now as well as not do anything to block some of the young top prospects coming up through the system. Frank Wren strikes me as a guy who is much less likely to deal young guys for rental players, which is why this rumored deal doesn't make sense to me.

Bank on the fact that Frank Wren will not include Jason Heyward, Freddie Freeman, or Jordan Schafer in any deal for immediate help, and I doubt he does anything that will block their ascension to the majors in the near future. He's got the exact opposite approach to John Schuerholz when it comes to this.