• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Flip Murray? Andersen?

y2kenta

Are the Hawks even contemplating bringing Flip back at a very reasonable price? Because even though we have Crawford, you can never have too many crafty, savvy vets that score the rock in bunches like Flip.

I'm campaigning for Crawford to start with Joe and Bibby, because I feel that Joe Johnson could be an even bigger Lebron or T-Mac-type scorer/facillitator at SF and the floor would be spread wider with Bibby, Crawford and Joe on the court at the same time. That would also move Marvin to the 2nd unit where he could be the man and still get starter minutes alongside Flip, Mo, Zaza and a developing Teague. And that one simple adjustment could easily increase our wins up to 52-56 next season and possibly into a top 3 spot in the East. Because chemistry is a huge factor and solid depth carries teams to the next levels.

Now, even though ORL added Carter, CLE added an old "Shack" and BOS added the undpredictable, up-in-age Sheed, doesn't mean they will definitely be in the top 3. We saw last year when J. Oneal went to TOR and Brand joined the Sixers that offseason projections do not always develop in the regular season. PHI struggle 3/4 of last season while TOR struggled all year, trade JO, and did even make the playoffs. We saw teams like CHI and MIA step into the playoff picture following terrible season the year before. So, 2009-10 may very well be a wide open year for the Hawks.

Are the Hawks even contemplating bringing Flip back at a very reasonable price? Because even though we have Crawford, you can never have too many crafty, savvy vets that score the rock in bunches like Flip.

I'm campaigning for Crawford to start with Joe and Bibby, because I feel that Joe Johnson could be an even bigger Lebron or T-Mac-type scorer/facillitator at SF and the floor would be spread wider with Bibby, Crawford and Joe on the court at the same time. That would also move Marvin to the 2nd unit where he could be the man and still get starter minutes alongside Flip, Mo, Zaza and a developing Teague. And that one simple adjustment could easily increase our wins up to 52-56 next season and possibly into a top 3 spot in the East. Because chemistry is a huge factor and solid depth carries teams to the next levels.

Now, even though ORL added Carter, CLE added an old "Shack" and BOS added the undpredictable, up-in-age Sheed, doesn't mean they will definitely be in the top 3. We saw last year when J. Oneal went to TOR and Brand joined the Sixers that offseason projections do not always develop in the regular season. PHI struggle 3/4 of last season while TOR struggled all year, trade JO, and did even make the playoffs. We saw teams like CHI and MIA step into the playoff picture following terrible season the year before. So, 2009-10 may very well be a wide open year for the Hawks.

I love having depth, but I think the depth we have in other areas needs improving before we add players who are eerily similar to players we already have. I love Flip's game and what he brought to the Hawks last year, but we need another quality big man if we're going to be considered "serious" contenders, and even then, no one will consider us that until we prove it on the court. Heck, they may not acknowledge then even. lol. The money Flip would command could be better spent towards a guy like Drew Gooden.

For us to resign Flip, I feel that the coaching staff and JJ would have to feel very confident with JJ playing some significant minutes at SF and being the primary backup at that position. Otherwise we'll just have too much of a crunch with Bibby, JJ, Craw, Teague, and Flip at the guard spots.

Hopefully we get a replacement SF out of Chillz (Bowen) and we can use our resources on shoring up the 4th/5th frontcourt spots and make a determination on Flip once the rest of the roster is more settled.

good thought offensively but that would be one of the worst defensive backcourts in the league!!!! leave the starting lineup the way that it is and let craw be the guy that can *** in off the bench and still get his own shot off, I'm not sure if marvin can do that on a consistent basis yet and it's always good to have someone off your bench that can give u buckets no matter who else is out there with him. Marvin needs to stay in the starting lineup and just continue to develop, he made good strides last year and i dont want to see him take a step back. And bringing flip back would give us another guard on an already undersized team, no thanks, spend that money on a vet big and give us a lil more size and a couple of extra fouls to play with during games!

we need bigs more than anything and there's no need for flip anymore because all that would do is hurt Teague as well as the teams future because Woodson loves vets and only thinks about that specific game and not what the future holds.

good thought offensively but that would be one of the worst defensive backcourts in the league!!!! leave the starting lineup the way that it is and let craw be the guy that can *** in off the bench and still get his own shot off, I'm not sure if marvin can do that on a consistent basis yet and it's always good to have someone off your bench that can give u buckets no matter who else is out there with him. Marvin needs to stay in the starting lineup and just continue to develop, he made good strides last year and i dont want to see him take a step back. And bringing flip back would give us another guard on an already undersized team, no thanks, spend that money on a vet big and give us a lil more size and a couple of extra fouls to play with during games!

Moving Marvin gets us closer to a quality big than not signing Flip. Flip out played Marvin last year. Joe is the obvious need to be at SF, not Marvin. All this hindering Teague is poppycock.

Moving Marvin gets us closer to a quality big than not signing Flip. Flip out played Marvin last year. Joe is the obvious need to be at SF, not Marvin. All this hindering Teague is poppycock.

What exactly are u looking at that tells u that flip out played marvin last year? If we move marvin and put joe at the 3 who plays the 2? Crawford? He and Bibby would make the worst defensive backcourt in the league!!!! If joe moves to the 3 he then has 2 guard people like lebron for an entire game which would wear him down and slow him down on the other end and he's our best offensive option. We're already a small team, lets not make it any worse. Marvin is our best perimeter defender so.............lets let him go and replace with another small guard who does nothing but score. UH...................NO!!!!! Like I said let Flip go and use that money to bring in a big!

JJ at SF full time is NOT what we need. Bibby and Crawford will be good offensively and I want to see them playing together plenty but I certainly don't want to live with them as our PRIMARY backcourt due to their documented defensive deficiencies. Just thinking about ORL, Bibby can't guard Nelson without help and Crawford can't guard Carter without help. Unless they are making shots, we can't play that lineup for long against ORL. That is going to be the case against a lot of teams such as DET (Stuckey/Rip), WAS (Arenas/Butler or Miller), DAL (Kidd/Howard) or any other team with a good PG/SG combo.

We are going to be significantly better defensively with JJ and Marvin on the floor together at SG/SF against most matchups. Actually, I like the thought of playing a Crawford/JJ/Marvin lineup more than the thought of playing a Bibby/Crawford/JJ lineup because of all the matchup problems it will create for teams on both ends of the floor. JJ is already a nightmare for all 2's now and not many PGs can guard Crawford 1 on 1.

Do people forget that the majority of the time that we go into Iso Joe, it usually involves Joe backing down his defender? The only time he faces up a guy is when he knows he has a marked speed or quickness advantage over them. Okay now, what is more consistently likely over the next season, Joe backing down 2guards or Joe outquicking SFs?

Are you serious? You do realize that Orlando finished 12 games ahead of the Hawks last year. And they've improved while the Hawks really haven't. It will be a struggle for this team to win 43 games this year. Washington has got better.... Chicago has got better... Cleveland... Boston.... Orlando. All this team has added is a better version of Flip and no depth to the front line.

Are you serious? You do realize that Orlando finished 12 games ahead of the Hawks last year. And they've improved while the Hawks really haven't. It will be a struggle for this team to win 43 games this year. Washington has got better.... Chicago has got better... Cleveland... Boston.... Orlando. All this team has added is a better version of Flip and no depth to the front line.

Is Carter and Bass really an improvement from Turkelough and Gortat ? They got smaller, that is for sure.

If Boston loses Glenn Davis and Powe for R. Wallace are they any better ? I have not seen Wallace do any dirty work in the paint in 3 years.

If Chicago gets Boozer they will probably be better but they would have lost 3 major pieces in Gordon, Hinrich, and Tyrus Thomas so that is more like breaking even.

Washington can only get better. They were awful last year. They added offensive players to a team that wants to play Arenas at PG. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Their 5 best players are all scorers and not defenders or rebounders (Arenas, Butler, Jameison, Miller, Foye).

I agee Shaq makes Cleveland much better........especially in a playoff series.

Edited by coachx

Is Carter and Bass really an improvement from Turkelough and Gortat ? They got smaller, that is for sure.

If Boston loses Glenn Davis and Powe for R. Wallace are they any better ? I have not seen Wallace do any dirty work in the paint in 3 years.

If Chicago gets Boozer they will probably be better but they would have lost 3 major pieces in Gordon, Hinrich, and Tyrus Thomas so that is more like breaking even.

Washington can only get better. They were awful last year. They added offensive players to a team that wants to play Arenas at PG. Looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Their 5 best players are all scorers and not defenders or rebounders (Arenas, Butler, Jameison, Miller, Foye).

I agee Shaq makes Cleveland much better........especially in a playoff series.

Thank you I was gonna say that . How can everyone else add all these post 30 yrs old and get better but we add a good player under 30 and we dont . Thats a weird kinda self hate .

I understand Gortat has some talent, but he wasn't really a producer for them last year. turk had a career year TWO years ago, but wasn't as good for them last year. And Vince Carter is better than him. Vince also blasts the Hawks every time he plays them. Getting swept by them is very likely.

It doesn't make them worse. Glenn wasn't productive until KG went down. I think he averaged about 8PPG last year. They'll probably bring one of them back anyway.

Even some of these teams were sure wins last year that will not be sure wins this year.

To get the thread back on topic I say we should sign Flip for the minimum. In this market no one is paying more than that for a journeyman. He fits with our team, and if we have an injury he could fill in.

I rather have a player with size that could rotate between the 2 and 3 be our minimum contract guy. Even with injuries Flip would be the 3rd guard on the depth chart and will only see time if both Bibby and Crawford go down or Both Joe and Crawford go down. A rarity especially considering that we have a rookie that we are trying to develop that can play both spots himself.

I rather have a player with size that could rotate between the 2 and 3 be our minimum contract guy. Even with injuries Flip would be the 3rd guard on the depth chart and will only see time if both Bibby and Crawford go down or Both Joe and Crawford go down. A rarity especially considering that we have a rookie that we are trying to develop that can play both spots himself.

I guess it depends on who is available. The way I see it, I'm not sure we should count on Teague to give us anything. Many playoff teams don't expect their rookies to see the court. I hope Teague is so good that he demands 15-20 minutes a game, but I'm not counting on it.