• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Big-Ben anyone?!

T21

I'm with chilz and cap on this one... he would add a toughness off the bench, and maybe it's real maybe it's just perceived, but like many, I feel having someone who's won a championship means something to young players.

Bring him in. Re-unite Woody and Wallace. They won the ring together.

• Premium Member

Funny how Hawk fans always complain that the team has no size but yet continue to want management to sign undersized front court players like Bass, Wilcox and now Wallace. Strange.

Edited by Peoriabird

• Premium Member
Funny how Hawk fans always complain that the team has no size but yet continue to want management to sign undersized front court players like Bass, Wilcox and now Wallace. Strange.

1) Some do. That doesn't include me, fwiw.

2) The reality is that whoever you pick up at this point, he's the 4th low post option, and he's not going to get many minutes in comparison to the three in front of him. Wallace still played 20+ minutes last season in Cleveland.

3) I'm assuming that (a) Wallace would be interested to come back with a contender, and (b) that he'd come very cheap. And I'd like to think that he'd come with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but I dunno bout that for sure.

• Premium Member
1) Some do. That doesn't include me, fwiw.

2) The reality is that whoever you pick up at this point, he's the 4th low post option, and he's not going to get many minutes in comparison to the three in front of him. Wallace still played 20+ minutes last season in Cleveland.

3) I'm assuming that (a) Wallace would be interested to come back with a contender, and (b) that he'd come very cheap. And I'd like to think that he'd come with a bit of a chip on his shoulder, but I dunno bout that for sure.

If we pick up Wallace, have actually fulfilled a need in the front court of obtaining size to slow down larger centers in the east that killed us last year like Bogut?

Edited by Peoriabird

If we pick up Wallace, have actually fulfilled a need in the front court of obtaining size to slow down larger centers in the east that killed us last year like Bogut?

Andrew Bogut worries you? He killed us last year? He played in one game vs. the Hawks and had 9 points and 6 rebounds. That doesn't scare me.

• Premium Member
Andrew Bogut worries you? He killed us last year? He played in one game vs. the Hawks and had 9 points and 6 rebounds. That doesn't scare me.

He has killed us in the past as well as bums like Brendan Heywood and Brook Lopez. And lord knows what Howard and Shaq has done to us in the past!

I agree with picking up Rasho Nesterovic as I've said in other posts, but I think Ben Wallace would be just as good of a pick-up. Quite frankly, I don't see Rasho doing any better than Zaza in guarding Howard or Oneal. It's not so much about size with me anymore than it is with getting someone who's going to protect the basket.

I agree with picking up Rasho Nesterovic as I've said in other posts, but I think Ben Wallace would be just as good of a pick-up. Quite frankly, I don't see Rasho doing any better than Zaza in guarding Howard or Oneal. It's not so much about size with me anymore than it is with getting someone who's going to protect the basket.

Rasho is a great post defender. So is Ben Wallace. He used to be the best post defender in the league.

• Premium Member

Maybe true but he would not have as much trouble as Horford with centers like JO, Sam Dalembert, Roy Hibbert etc

• Premium Member
So is Ben Wallace. He used to be the best post defender in the league.

Ben Wallace depended on his athleticism to guard larger centers in his prime which he no longer possess. Rasho can still use his length. Plus Rasho is a much better offensive player!

Edited by Peoriabird

The thing is with Ben is that his rapidly decreasing athleticism makes him less and less effective on the court especially considering his height. Rasho has never been fleet of foot so he doesn't have to compensate for a lack of anything on the court. Also, Rasho looks like Amar'e on offense compared to Ben.

The thing is with Ben is that his rapidly decreasing athleticism makes him less and less effective on the court especially considering his height. Rasho has never been fleet of foot so he doesn't have to compensate for a lack of anything on the court. Also, Rasho looks like Amar'e on offense compared to Ben.

The guy is 7'0 feet tall, probably 260. I know that's what's intiriguing. But he played in 70 games this year, over 17 minutes a game and averaged 3 boards. Not impressive. Just over 6 points a game isn't exactly setting the world on fire either. I don't care if you're comparing him to air, don't use Rasho and Amare in the same breath.

I don't want either, they're both bums! Ben is not that player that everyone keeps talking about who was such a great post defender, hasn't been that way for some time now. He doesn't do much of anything well now and his size hampers him even more. He never had any kind of skill set and he played off of pure emotion and athleticism which he has neither of now. And Rasho, really? RASHO??????????? I don't agree with the premise of just adding any bum big to the team but it seems like lots of people in here really don't care who we add as long as we add someone

The guy is 7'0 feet tall, probably 260. I know that's what's intiriguing. But he played in 70 games this year, over 17 minutes a game and averaged 3 boards. Not impressive. Just over 6 points a game isn't exactly setting the world on fire either. I don't care if you're comparing him to air, don't use Rasho and Amare in the same breath.

That Indiana team was on the road to nowhere and I and Indy fans can tell you that Rasho could care less because he knew he wasn't in that team's plans for the future. He was just a throw in expiring deal to make salaries work in the JO trade. The guy has all the intangibles that Ben has being that he is a champion himself and doesn't have to rely on athleticism to get by in the league. Did I mention he can also make his FTs? Something this team was almost if not the worst in last year? Ben Wallace is statistically the worst free throw shooter in NBA history, he's not going to help our average at all. Add in that Rasho can hit shots out to 15 feet and I don't see why ole retiring Ben is even in the conversation.

That Indiana team was on the road to nowhere and I and Indy fans can tell you that Rasho could care less because he knew he wasn't in that team's plans for the future. He was just a throw in expiring deal to make salaries work in the JO trade. The guy has all the intangibles that Ben has being that he is a champion himself and doesn't have to rely on athleticism to get by in the league. Did I mention he can also make his FTs? Something this team was almost if not the worst in last year? Ben Wallace is statistically the worst free throw shooter in NBA history, he's not going to help our average at all. Add in that Rasho can hit shots out to 15 feet and I don't see why ole retiring Ben is even in the conversation.

yes rasho has a ring but how much did he really contribute in the winning of that ring? He does have the ability to hit the 15 footer and that really shocked me when i saw that this year but I'm still not buying him as the answer to our big problem. Id take him over Ben but I wouldn't take either if i had the choice!

• Like 1

yes rasho has a ring but how much did he really contribute in the winning of that ring? He does have the ability to hit the 15 footer and that really shocked me when i saw that this year but I'm still not buying him as the answer to our big problem. Id take him over Ben but I wouldn't take either if i had the choice!

Lets make it clear, unless we trade Joe, Josh or Horf we are never going to answer our big man problem. If we are looking for an NBA capable 7footer on the cheap that only comes off the bench to D up larger lineups and not be a liability at the other end of the floor then Rasho is your man. He won't wow you on the offensive end but he is a capable scorer and is an even better passer. We are not going to find the next Shaq bagging groceries at your local supermarket so you need to lower your expectations and make do with what is out there.

• Premium Member

The guy is 7'0 feet tall, probably 260. I know that's what's intiriguing. But he played in 70 games this year, over 17 minutes a game and averaged 3 boards. Not impressive. Just over 6 points a game isn't exactly setting the world on fire either.

He may not be an impressive rebounder but he is a good post defender which is something the Hawks desperately need. Here is the scouting report on Nesterivic.

Scouting report: Nesterovic has a decent jumper from 15 feet, even though he shoots a line drive from off of his right shoulder and it doesn't look like it should go in. On his rare post-ups he likes to turn to his right and shoot a jump hook, after first taking great care to ensure that nothing he's done could be construed as drawing a foul.

Defensively, he's a valuable player because of his size, and he's an above average post defender who can block shots. But his rebound rate was again well below average for a center (51st out of 65) and he's not particularly nimble.