• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brian Skinner

mrhonline

• Premium Member

Okay, so I now this guy is probably not worth his own thread, but I think he's still got something left and could be exactly what you need as a 4th big:

Veteran

Blocks shots

Rebounds on D

Doesn't need shots

There's a very good chance you could sign the guy for the vet's minimum.

Can't beat sham's description of him:

6'9 guys generally aren't regarded as being able to play center. But when you're as wide and strong as Brian Skinner is, then all is well. The technical term for his build is a "brick shithouse".

Skinner puts this size and strength to good use, both in his post defense and obtaining rebounding position. He has a good rebounding rate, and will block some shots. He can also use this strength to obtain offensive position on the low block, but that's where the fun starts - armed with the worst hands in showbiz and the deft touch of Captain Hook, Skinner carefully manages to miss almost every shot he can get his hands on, and clanks his free throws with regularity. It's fun, unless he's on your team.

OK, that's a bit harsh. There are worse finishers out there, and Skinner's been known to very occasionally hit open jumpshots. But he's not a very good offensive player, that's all.

He also has/had (depending on whether he has it still at the time you are reading this) a stupid goatee beard. And a bald head. I don't know why people opt for both at the same time, it never works. Ask Ty Wigginton.

For real though adding a guy like this cant hurt us. I would like to add somebody with a little offensive skill as well. Either that or add he and Gooden and see if our whole team goes with their bald head funny amish beard looks.

I am not sure about Skinner. A couple years ago I woulda probably said yes, but now I doubt he contributes much. Depending on each big man's price, I would want Gooden, Wilcox, Diogu ahead of Skinhead Skinner for sure. Speaking of Gooden, I'm not sure if you guys remember but I believe it was one of the last 10 or so games in the 08 campaign when we played the Bulls in Chicago..not sure what his stats were but he kinda went off on us. Something about it stands out in my mind, maybe he hit his first 10 shots or something weird that that I'd have to look it up later but kinda don't want to unless he's a Hawk...lol...just lazy like that today.

• Premium Member

My problem with Gooden is that he cannot guard centers, so the only time you could really play him would be next to Horford. IOW, when Josh Smith is sitting or injured.

For the amount of money, it will cost to sign him, I'm not sure it's worth it.

For the vet minimum Skinner is perfect.

I'm assuming Gooden and Wilcox are holding out for $ 4mill a year. Joe Smith would give us simliar production but he will likely play for cheap for the Cavs again. The problem with these guy is like mr.h said.......they can't defend centers. The centers they can defend are the same ones Horford can handle. We need the bruisers that don't have to play every night but are useful vs. Shaq, Howard, Ming, Duncan, Gasol, Jefferson of the NBA.

Maybe Magloire would take $2 mill a year to come in ?

Maybe Ben Wallace's body can heal.............still with his lost athletic ability he may not be long enough to be effective.

I like Aaron Gray on the cheap. He is is huge.

I would be happy with the higher priced guys (Wilcox, Gooden) but I'm not sure they are really what we need as far as bang for your buck and 7 game playoff series where you will run into Shaq and Big Z or Howard by the 2nd round.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

My problem with Gooden is that he cannot guard centers, so the only time you could really play him would be next to Horford. IOW, when Josh Smith is sitting or injured.

For the amount of money, it will cost to sign him, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I agree, thats y I have Jamal Magloire at the top of my list. Tough guy who's not afraid to get dirty and will definately bang with the other bigs in the league! Just my opinion

There are still a lot of bigs out there and for the level of talent we are likely looking for, playing with the Hawks (for many of them) would be an opportunity they might not get elsewhere.

Either of these guys worth a spot?

Cedric Simmons, Calvin Booth

• Admin

For the vet minimum Skinner is perfect.

I'm assuming Gooden and Wilcox are holding out for $ 4mill a year. Joe Smith would give us simliar production but he will likely play for cheap for the Cavs again. The problem with these guy is like mr.h said.......they can't defend centers. The centers they can defend are the same ones Horford can handle. We need the bruisers that don't have to play every night but are useful vs. Shaq, Howard, Ming, Duncan, Gasol, Jefferson of the NBA.

Maybe Magloire would take $2 mill a year to come in ?

Maybe Ben Wallace's body can heal.............still with his lost athletic ability he may not be long enough to be effective.

I like Aaron Gray on the cheap. He is is huge.

I would be happy with the higher priced guys (Wilcox, Gooden) but I'm not sure they are really what we need as far as bang for your buck and 7 game playoff series where you will run into Shaq and Big Z or Howard by the 2nd round.

The advantage Skinner does bring that Gooden does not is defense. Gooden is a terrible defender. However, I think Gooden has A LOT more left in the tank then Skinner. Personally for a 15 minute a game guy I actually am with Coachx and prefer Skinner. He is very suited for the role to be the backup PF/C for us that will only need to come and play solid d and rebound for spot minutes. Plus unlike Gooden I think Skinner will be very to do it. He knows that is what kind of role he brings to teams in this league. Gooden I have a feeling will want more minutes and may even complain about it.

• Like 1