Hawks Hunting Vet Bigs

Theeyo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

VIA https://twitter.com/sekousmith01

Hawks hunting veteran bigs. Heard two names last night. Can't repeat yet. Either one helps solve the bird's big man issues, if they get 'em.21 minutes ago from web

WHO DO U THINK IT IS?

I would guess Magloir, B. Wallace, and Skinner are strong possibilities.

Whoever it is the talks must be getting some what serious. He mentioned Ben Wallace the other day but just that we had contacted him. When Sekou is scared to name players it would seem we may actually be in negotiations and not just sniffing around.

I have no problem with him keeping the names pvt. The last thing we need is for a reporter to say we are close to signing player "X" so that every GM in the league can put in one last call to their agent to be sure we are not getting them for too good a deal.

BTW, that video is hilarious ! Is that Borat ?

Edited by coachx

Oddly enough we haven't heard much about Mags this offseason and his impact last season was not huge. Which leads me to believe that he could be have reasonably? But Skinner is probably more reasonalbe.

From a logic stand point I don't see us getting someone better than Za to supplant his minutes. Hope I am wrong, but . . . . . .

No way we bring over Magloire, him and Smith have bad blood from playing against each other.

I don't put much into this. Remember at one point in time we were being sold that Lorenzen Wright is a well known player who has played at a near All-Star level? Sekou is different from Bernie but I don't really put much into speculation unless it comes from the GM.

I'm not so sure that Magloire has a lot to offer at this point based on what I saw from him last season but I seriously doubt that a beef that Smoove and Magloire had on the court would prevent the team from bringing him in. KG and Zaza had their little heated moment in the playoffs a couple of years ago but I guarantee you that if KG thought Zaza could help the Celtics win, he would welcome him to BOS with open arms. You think Pierce would have a problem with the Celtics signing Horford? Look at Kobe and Artest in LA. Stuff happens on the court all the time and most guys leave it there. Now if we were talking Charles Oakley or Vernon Maxwell...

No way we bring over Magloire, him and Smith have bad blood from playing against each other.

I don't put much into this. Remember at one point in time we were being sold that Lorenzen Wright is a well known player who has played at a near All-Star level? Sekou is different from Bernie but I don't really put much into speculation unless it comes from the GM.

no such thing bad blood in the NBA. you would of thought Artest and Kobe werent the best of friends. Its all about winning and when you arent on the same team, you push and shove but if he played for us him and Josh would get along fine..Magloire has always been one to stand up for teammates. With that said, I hope it isnt Magloire lol even though he would help out.. I would much rather Ben Wallace or Drew Gooden on this team

Hasnt Maglore been washed up for a few years now?

Yeah Magloire is a bum guys! We better be looking at Wilcox, Petro or someone else that can actually contribute. Skinner is a bum too IMO.

If we're truly looking for a veteran C and not just a veteran PF like Drew Gooden or Joe Smith, then Wilcox has definitely got to be one of the two. The other might be Stromile Swift?

How is Wilcox more of a center then Gooden ? He is smallers then Gooden and rebounds less and has less of a post game.

I like Wilcox but he is not a true center and neither is Swift. They cannot guards the big guys any better then Horford can. I want a bully like Skinner and Magloire b/c they can bang with Howard, Shaq, Big Z, Duncan, Yao, Perkins, and Jefferson better then Wilcox, Gooden, or even Horford.

We just need 15 minutes off the bench from a true bruiser.

They fact that, last year, Magloire comes in and instantly mixes it up with Josh Smith and pushes our guys around is exactly what I like about him. He got Smith so fired up Woody had to take him out of the game after their double technicals. I want to see him be that same kind of bully but on our side next year.

Edited by coachx

How is Wilcox more of a center then Gooden ? He is smallers then Gooden and rebounds less and has less of a post game.

I like Wilcox but he is not a true center and neither is Swift. They cannot guards the big guys any better then Horford can. I want a bully like Skinner and Magloire b/c they can bang with Howard, Shaq, Big Z, Duncan, Yao, Perkins, and Jefferson better then Wilcox, Gooden, or even Horford.

We just need 15 minutes off the bench from a true bruiser.

They fact that, last year, Magloire comes in and instantly mixes it up with Josh Smith and pushes our guys around is exactly what I like about him. He got Smith so fired up Woody had to take him out of the game after their double technicals. I want to see him be that same kind of bully but on our side next year.

I was just basing it on what position they usually played. Gooden can play C but usually plays and is listed as a PF. I didn't watch many Knicks games last year but I seem to recall Wilcox playing C behind David Lee more than he played PF behind Harrington/Jeffries.

Regarding the need for a bruiser, I agree, but I disagree that Mags or Skinner are worth the investment. I'd rather give the league minimum to Siler and see what he has to offer.

We need a PF more than we need a C. So if we're only signing 1 guy then it needs to be a PF since Zaza can more than adequately fill the backup C sport. So any of Wilcox, Gooden, or Joe Smith would fit the bill just fine. I give the edge to Wilcox because with his athleticism he can probably play some minutes at C as well.

I'd like to sign a 2nd PF/C after getting this next guy as well.

Regarding the need for a bruiser, I agree, but I disagree that Mags or Skinner are worth the investment. I'd rather give the league minimum to Siler and see what he has to offer.

Investment ? They would be making peanuts !

Its not like the price of the contracts would be equal for (Gooden / Wilcox) compared to (Skinner / Magloire). Skinner and Magloire would be much cheaper and can bang with the bruiers who are too big for ZaZa and Horford to handle.

I'm guessing Gooden and Wilcox are holding out for at least $4 mill per year, Skinner or Magloire could probably be had for less then $2 mill.

It looks like Siler will get that minimum offer if he can make it up and down the court in scrimmages.

In a perfect world we could get a PF/C like (Gooden / Wilcox) and a bruiser like (Skinner / Magloire).

We have the $5.8 mill MLE to spend. Right ?

$4 mill to Wilcox or Gooden

$1.8 mill to Magloire or Skinner

Do we have enough room under the luxury tax for that and to fill out the roster with minimum salaried guys like Siler and another undrafted rookie .....S. Gaines or Lucas III, perhaps ?

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

How is Wilcox more of a center then Gooden ?

Has Gooden played a minute at center his entire career? He does not have the strength or mentality to guard centers. You're right that he'd be no better than Horford, but Wilcox is far more effective at post defense than Gooden (not saying much, though).

Has Gooden played a minute at center his entire career? He does not have the strength or mentality to guard centers. You're right that he'd be no better than Horford, but Wilcox is far more effective at post defense than Gooden (not saying much, though).

He actually played center alot with the Bulls. He played it with other teams he was with as well because of his size (not necessarily height). He matches most centers for weight so he's not easily bullied in the post. That's also why he's an above average rebounder.

According to 82games.com:

Gooden played 269 minutes at center in 05-06 for the Cavs and 145 minutes in 06-07 for the Cavs.

According to 82games.com he logged minutes in Chicago and Cleveland playing center even though they had Big Z, Noah, and Gray to fill center minutes for those teams while he was there.

He is referred to as a PF/C below:

http://fullcourtpress.kingsconnect.com/archives/tag/drew-gooden

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=3721

I agree Gooden is more of a PF then a center (that is why I want a bruiser). Some poster just refered to Wilcox as a center and Gooden as a PF earlier. Had Gooden spent most of his career with the Sonics./ Thunder ..........then Gooden likely would have been forced to play more center as well. The difference is Gooden offensively skilled enough to play PF while Wilcox is not skilled......he is just rugged.