• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Hunting Vet Bigs

Theeyo

• Premium Member

My take is that we have the luxury of taking whichever, PF or C, assuming that the available inventory is equal. Having Horf as our starting C means that we already have a bonafide back-up PF. However, the available inventory being what it is, obtaining a PF who will have an impact is more likely than getting a C... stating the obvious.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

* Ben Wallace, forward, unrestricted. The latest: Detroit News reports he's likely to return to the Pistons. Wallace accepted a $10-million buyout from Phoenix on Tuesday and is reportedly seeking a one-year deal before retiring at age 35.

Don't know anything about Anthony. How does he measure up to some of the others?

You don't remember him from the Atlanta / Miami playoff series ? He started 2 of the games b/c O'Niel was hurt or sick. Not much to remember though. He did have 3 blocks one playoff game against us.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/joel_anthony/game_by_game_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/joel_anthony/career_stats.html

I'd take him for a minimum salary. He did manage over a block a game in 16 mpg ........so that shows he is active.

He is smaller then Magloire and Skinner. He got more minutes then Magloire did last year in Miami. He is a more active player but I feel the Hawks need size. Even if the size is not very talented. We need a goon to deliver the black eyes in a 7 game playoff series.

Edited by coachx

You don't remember him from the Atlanta / Miami playoff series ? He started 2 of the games b/c O'Niel was hurt or sick. Not much to remember though. He did have 3 blocks one playoff game against us.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/joel_anthony/game_by_game_stats.html

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/joel_anthony/career_stats.html

I'd take him for a minimum salary. He did manage over a block a game in 16 mpg ........so that shows he is active.

He is smaller then Magloire and Skinner. He got more minutes then Magloire did last year in Miami. He is a more active player but I feel the Hawks need size. Even if the size is not very talented. We need a goon to deliver the black eyes in a 7 game playoff series.

I do remember, but like you said there is not much to remember. Don't see him giving us a whole lot.

If we are talking about a "vet" big man then I suspect Woody would want Smith, Wilcox or Oberto. I suspect Oberto could be the darkhorse pick here given that he played for a good defensive unit in SA and that he is willing to give up his body in the paint (he played the 5 in order for Duncan to play alot at the 4 spot). I could see Woody being interested in him. Of course, Sund has a history with Petro, Swift, and Sene but I wonder what Woody's interest would be in those guys.

• Premium Member

Earl Barron will be in camp. Is he a likely candidate for one of the positions? He's a big dude but been overseas.

I recall Sekou mentioning him as a possibility before this past season. He played with the Heat in 07-08 and finished the season pretty strong. Not sure why he did not stick with a team last year. That could be telling....

From Drew Gooden'S Twitter

Pistons, Bucks, Cav's, Bobcats. Which team is the best fit for me?

My link

Damn ! All those teams are in the East.

He will win, but be forgotten in Cleveland. BUT, if he signs in Cleveland it may make Joe Smith available for us.

He could help the Bobcats be a legit playoff team.

He would put up big numbers for the Bucks but they suck and who wants to live there ?

No way I want to play by Charlie V................he is allergic to defense.

I bet he goes to the Cavs or Bobcats......or of course whoever pays the most !

When did Kobe and Artest have any sort of bad blood? Artest rubs everyone the wrong way, you are probably pointing to the one instance where Artest ran up to Kobe and told him not to elbow him in the mouth and Artest got the tech. Thats not bad blood. Artest and Ben Wallace on the other hand thats a different story. Are you going to say bad blood doesn't apply there?

You are also pointing out cases where there are exceptional talents. Magloire is a scrub now in the NBA. The rules apply, you don't bring in someone with bad blood. If Magloire were an exception to the rule by being a really good player then maybe. But this is Jamaal Magloire, he couldn't get minutes behind Joel Anthony who was behind a one legged Jermaine O'Neal.

I dont call what Magloire and Josh Smith had bad blood. Nothing serious took place..it wasnt like Artest and Ben Wallace. It was more like Artest and Kobe which is nothing if you ask me..its forgotten..what caused the brawl isnt forgotten.

If we're looking at vet bigs, the first three that spring to mind are Ben Wallace, Adonal Foyle and Theo Ratliff.

Of those three, I think I'd rather have Theo. He's still athletic enough to alter shots and let's face it, he's been on the shelf so long with injuries, he probably still has the most left in the tank.

A few others that they might consider are:

1. Rasho Nesterovic

2. Stromile Swift

3. Chris Mihm

4. Calvin Booth

5. Mikki Moore

If we're looking at vet bigs, the first three that spring to mind are Ben Wallace, Adonal Foyle and Theo Ratliff.

Of those three, I think I'd rather have Theo. He's still athletic enough to alter shots and let's face it, he's been on the shelf so long with injuries, he probably still has the most left in the tank.

A few others that they might consider are:

1. Rasho Nesterovic

2. Stromile Swift

3. Chris Mihm

4. Calvin Booth

5. Mikki Moore

Moore is the best option on that list probably. Mihm had some talent a few years ago, but I seem to remember him being out a long time with injuries. So I doubt he would help very much. Stromile.... Eh....

I don't think these 2 names have been mentioned:

1. Jake Voskuhl- He's a solid rebounder and has decent post defense. Averages 9 rebounds per 36 min and about 1 bpg.

2. Maceo Baston- I like this player. He's a really active defender and he can block shots. Haven't seen much of him(only a couple of games) but I think he could help our troubles in the paint on the defensive end. Plus, he's athletic. He fits in perfectly in my opinion.

How about it eh? These are defensive minded players and that's what we need. That's why I hate hearing the names like Chris Wilcox. We don't need big men that can score, we need big men that can protect the paint.