• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Couple things from an article I saw...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Article

11. Joe Smith, F -- The veteran big man might be around long enough to make it to the NBA's next real expansion process given his shelf life. Atlanta is rumored to lead for his services.

12. Flip Murray, G -- The Hawks are rumored to be passing on bringing him back, which means he'll be joining his sixth team in five seasons when training camp breaks. After a breakthrough season averaging 12.2 points in 25 minutes off the bench, the scoring guard will find another home.

First off. Murray is an UFA and has gotten no play yet. No teams (not even Detroit) seems hot and heavy about Flip. I would have thought that he would be scooped up by now. IF he remains unsigned, and late Aug rolls around, I say we offer him a Mo Evans size contract. I know it's a loaded position... However, I think he can play in the style that Wood wants.

Now, here's what somebody said about Smith last year:

He is a fundamentally sound player, an opportunistic scorer, a skilled practicioner of help defense and a wrinkle-free locker-room guy. He has the requisite length to make a difference in the paint, in rationed minutes, for any NBA team.

The last time he played Big minutes, he was a 11/7 guy. That's not so bad. My question is how would we use him? Would he be Smith's BU or would we play him at Center some? I know this, he would definitely be a help to some of our young bigs in that he's always been a model of consistency and hard work.

• Premium Member

Article

First off. Murray is an UFA and has gotten no play yet. No teams (not even Detroit) seems hot and heavy about Flip. I would have thought that he would be scooped up by now. IF he remains unsigned, and late Aug rolls around, I say we offer him a Mo Evans size contract. I know it's a loaded position... However, I think he can play in the style that Wood wants.

He is a fundamentally sound player, an opportunistic scorer, a skilled practicioner of help defense and a wrinkle-free locker-room guy. He has the requisite length to make a difference in the paint, in rationed minutes, for any NBA team.

The last time he played Big minutes, he was a 11/7 guy. That's not so bad. My question is how would we use him? Would he be Smith's BU or would we play him at Center some? I know this, he would definitely be a help to some of our young bigs in that he's always been a model of consistency and hard work.

There are two other Center names that come to mind:

Fabricio Oberto

and

Johan Petro.

Oberto has never been impressive. Not even in spot duty. He has just been a guy who has played for the Spurs.

Petro on the other hand has at least started.

I guess there's no better time to say this but:

Robert Swift is still out there!

I'd love to get Joe Smith! He's a tested veteran and a great professional... Hawks could use him at both 4 and 5...

What I like about Smith is the fact that if something goes wrong, meaning injuries to any of our rotation bigs, foul trouble, etc. I would have no problems with Smith playing more minutes, because I believe he could answer those calls, step-up his game and deliver!

Honestly, there aren't many FA bigs (if any) out there who can make constant contribution on both ends of the floor!

Guys like Horford and Smith would also benifit from having him around, because they have never had a veteran, skilled big along-side... Imagine that?!

P.S. I loved Flip, but with JJ, Bibby, Crawford, Evans and Teague our back-court is set! Especialy if Woody is going to give JT decent minutes...

Article

In regards to Smith the part bolded is what makes him an interesting get to me. He will see limited minutes but with his defense and length I feel he will be Josh's primary backup but will see plenty of minutes sharing the court with both Josh, Al and even that other guy in the frontcourt depending on the matchup. I believe Woody would also value him more in rotations for his offense making him a bit of a post playing Flip, not as explosive but more reliable for steady production despite small minutes. That brings me to the other part of your post, I just don't see any way Flip will be back with us next year barring a training camp mishap or mid-season major injury. He was great for us last year (and we were great for him) but I sincerely doubt he could be just as effective with more limited minutes. Woody allowed him to shoot himself out of some slumps last year but this year if he can't be effective in 2-3 minute increments then I don't see any reason to keep him. His roster spot should be spent on a taller swingman or pure shooter so that we don't have too much duplication on our roster.

i think we need to look for a PF/C and not just a C. i don't see anybody that is gonna take Horford/ Pachulia spot, but at the same time we only have J.Smith at the PF with Horford moving over if something happens to him. we have to be able to carry both spots.

• Premium Member

i think we need to look for a PF/C and not just a C. i don't see anybody that is gonna take Horford/ Pachulia spot, but at the same time we only have J.Smith at the PF with Horford moving over if something happens to him. we have to be able to carry both spots.

I think it would be interesting if we signed Joe Smith and gave a guy like Siler a try. I think for Siler's length, he'd make a good BU BU C. However, as you said, Joe Smith could be Smoove's primary BU. This means less time at pF for other guys, however, Smith is competent.

• Like 1

I think it would be interesting if we signed Joe Smith and gave a guy like Siler a try. I think for Siler's length, he'd make a good BU BU C. However, as you said, Joe Smith could be Smoove's primary BU. This means less time at pF for other guys, however, Smith is competent.

I would be very happy with that scenario.

Bring Flip back,please, our second rotation is Teague(1), Flip(1/2), Crawford(2/3). That's alot of points

Joe Smith is a good NBA player model to mimic, but on court for Atlanta, he would be a liability.

sign Garret and Chris Ellis, both of them displays power. Or wait until next year, but sign Garret Anyway.

• Premium Member

Bring Flip back,please, our second rotation is Teague(1), Flip(1/2), Crawford(2/3). That's alot of points

Joe Smith is a good NBA player model to mimic, but on court for Atlanta, he would be a liability.

sign Garret and Chris Ellis, both of them displays power. Or wait until next year, but sign Garret Anyway.

Could you explain the Bolded text a little more?

I like what Joe Smith brings.

If reports are to be believed, Silar and Ellis need to be brought in the fold. Minus Randy (odd out with Silar), we have 9 body's(with Marvin) which means 3 to 5 (leave 15 open) slots needed.

The problem in bringing in Flip is Flip's requirements. He wants minutes. If he were satisfied with 12-15 a game, sign him. For sure I'd rather have Flip than Mo.

So my wish would be, sign Joe Smith, Silar, Ellis, Flip and who emerges in training camp.

There are no minutes on the perimeter right now so now we cant offer Flip minutes and we need to sign a vet big that can defend .

Between the pg/sg/sf positions there are 144 minutes thats enough for 4 good players to get 36 minutes each . If you give Mo OR Teague 8-10 minutes a game that shaves two more minutes off of each of those players times.

Joe Smith is a excellent choice for a 20 mpg big . He rebounds and defends decently and has a good motor which is what you want in a backup and he has a good shot as well.

Zaza

Joe Smith

Marvin

Mo

Crawford

is an excellent second group

I'm not sure Flip would sign with us given the logjam with minutes. He doesn't want to be stuck on the pines.

Siler will take a year or two but we need to sign him. Who knows he could turn out better than we think? Big men blossom late and he is a late bloomer. Upside is intriuging.

Oberto has never been impressive. Not even in spot duty. He has just been a guy who has played for the Spurs.

I have to take issue with you on this one. Oberto has started over 100 games in three years for the Spurs and sacrificed his body by playing the 5 so Duncan could play more 4. He reminds me of Zaza with his hustle though he is a better defensive rebounder while being a weaker offensive rebounder than Zaza. There are rumors he has signed with the Wizards but IMO he would have provided excellant frontcourt depth here. In fact, I had Oberto just behind Joe Smith on my wish list for currently available FA bigs. Sund needs to move quickly on signing a quality big FA because the list is getting smaller.