• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA's most overrated players

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/9852462/Who-are-the-NBA's-most-overrated-players?

I was wondering when someone in the media would tell the truth about CP3.

There's no doubt that CP3 has always been a truly great passer and has also worked diligently to become a dangerous 3-point shooter. But there are several reasons why he belongs in this dubious category.

In half-court offenses, he's a threat to do damage only in screen-and-roll situations, which means that doubling him virtually renders him impotent.

Because of his diminutive size — listed at 6-feet but closer to 5-foot-10 — he can be easily doubled.

His defense consists of steals. Period. Which in turn depends mostly on opponents' mistakes.

Many opponents simply take the ball to their favorite spot and then shoot over him.

Even when using a screen-and-roll, he's not nearly as effective going left as he is going right.

When was the last time that a pipsqueak-sized point guard led his team to an NBA championship? Slater Martin with the St. Louis Hawks in 1958 — which means that while Paul's Hornets will be a good team, they'll never be good enough.

meh, this column is just trying to incite fans to get attention. So his point is "every perennial all star not named Lebron or Kobe overrated."

It is amazing to me that he considers Chris Paul overrated (although his defense is certainly overrated), but not Steve Nash, Mo Williams, Hedo, Ben Gordon, etc...

It's true about KG, don't let the ring and ESPN's New England bias fool you otherwise. Before Boston KG has always been known as an incredibly talented player but always dissapeared in the 4th quarter and choked away big games. It's always been his main character flaw especially considering the talking and "intensity" he exhibits in a game, I guess he just always burned himself out by the 4th quarter.

And KG over rated? Come now.

Yes, KG!

Keep in mind, KG is one of my favorite players because his heart/passion, leadership in most fassets of the game, and his deserving of that championship, but he is truly a bit overrated. I don't agree with this statement from the article..."In other words, it is well-known among the league's coaches that Garnett is a frontrunner who will inevitably choke when a critical game is up for grabs." I don't think teams really count on KG to choke in the clutch that much and most teams respect him a lot more than that.

My reason to say that he's overrated comes from comparing his 07-08 Championship year to last year's 08-09 season AND watching him in a hand full of games last year. True, he's a leader on a team the has 3 possible Hall of Famers, so he doesn't have to do a lot or be the KG like he was in Minnesota. Ok, we get that. But, take a good look at his numbers last year. With the exception, of FG% and FT%, every stat in every category was down to the lowest in his career, barring his rookie year. Even prior to his injury, the 20 games before were atrociously inconsistent for a leader, that he's respected as. And for my fellow NBA 2k gamers, him staying rated 98-99 all year was ridiculous. Cover boy or not.

Edited by y2kenta

• Premium Member

That's an interesting list but CP3 and Gilbert Arenas need not be on it. Agent 0 shouldn't be on it because the writer obviously doesn't understand the position that Arenas plays. He's an OG. One of the best in history at it too. And to put CP3 on the list is stupidity. CP3 does more than play offense, he also plays good defense. Most of the time against bigger opponents. If you don't think CP3 is good, notice what happens to the Hornets when he doesn't play. Smoove/Bibby for CP3 any day of the weak.

It's true about KG, don't let the ring and ESPN's New England bias fool you otherwise. Before Boston KG has always been known as an incredibly talented player but always dissapeared in the 4th quarter and choked away big games. It's always been his main character flaw especially considering the talking and "intensity" he exhibits in a game, I guess he just always burned himself out by the 4th quarter.

How can he be overrated because of that if there wasn't a game in the 08 playoffs where people didnt bring his "unclutchness" up?

You can't be overrated because of a flaw that everyone talks about...

• Premium Member

I think you have to look at the situation. IN his last few years in Minny.. He had NOTHING. Bad drafts and trades and management left it a one man team. No one man team has ever won anything (except the Rockets with Hakeem and all those role players... but he had lots of help). I can't blame KG for not being "Clutch" especially when you see Kobe isolated doesn't produce and Jame isolated doesn't win.

I think you have to look at the situation. IN his last few years in Minny.. He had NOTHING. Bad drafts and trades and management left it a one man team. No one man team has ever won anything (except the Rockets with Hakeem and all those role players... but he had lots of help). I can't blame KG for not being "Clutch" especially when you see Kobe isolated doesn't produce and Jame isolated doesn't win.

That's a further indictment of him. Being the best player on the floor in the 4th quarter, talking all game, being paid to be the man, and you are passing the ball off to Erving Johnson or some scrub. When you can't pass the ball you are choking on your jumpshot, bricking a freethrow, dissapearing into yourself. It's even more evident because of how boisterous he is when winning but once the table turns he's sulking into himself and crying rather than stepping up like he's been saying to do all game long. That my friend is why he is overrated, he's a tough guy on the court clapping, yelling and cursing at his opponents trying to punk the likes of Tim Duncan, a guy who no matter what is fully reserved. We all say what happened when he thought he could do the same and get away with our resident Euro, how did that end up for KG? Not as soft as the stereotype would suggest huh? He's given titles like the "ultimate warrior" "all heart", these were all admirable traits when he was crying in a John Thompson interview about how he couldn't take all the losing and we all felt sympathy for him considering the cold, poorly run market and franchise he was playing for but then he get's thrown into a winning situation and what do we see? His true colors the "frontrunner" as the article says, the guy yelling into Ben Gordon's ear from the bench when his team is up but the first one into the locker room when his team lost. All that heart and intensity just turned into false bravado and immaturity and his numbers relfected it.

Meanwhile, can anyone name a single player more overrated than Steve Nash? Just about the worst defender in the NBA who only put up amazing offensive numbers when they were running the "7 seconds or less" offense.

Nope. I felt he "deserved" one MVP simply because that award is based off how much your team wins and the fact their record improved so much when he got there but back to back MVPs? I was half accepting one now they are going to hit me up with 2? And now all of a sudden at the age of 31 or so and he magically becomes a lock for the HOF? Meanwhile his old team is still running off consecutive 50win seasons not to mention 60win seasons without him? Yea overrated indeed, if anything, Dirk has been criminally underrated throughout his career.

• Moderators

The last time a small point guard led a team to a championship was Isiah Thomas and he did it twice. Sure he's an inch or two taller than cp but not that much different. I'd trade any player on our team straight up for Paul and I think there aren't that many players in the league you wouldn't trade for him.

The list is pretty dubious as it includes Al Harrington who I don't think can be overrated since no one really rates him anyway. Stephen Jackson, Camby, Anderson. Who's under the impression that these guys are highly rated players?

The last time a small point guard led a team to a championship was Isiah Thomas and he did it twice. Sure he's an inch or two taller than cp but not that much different. I'd trade any player on our team straight up for Paul and I think there aren't that many players in the league you wouldn't trade for him.

The list is pretty dubious as it includes Al Harrington who I don't think can be overrated since no one really rates him anyway. Stephen Jackson, Camby, Anderson. Who's under the impression that these guys are highly rated players?

They are all overrated in different aspects of their game, the article wasnt titled "Most overrated superstars in league" its tiled most overrated players. Camby has spent his entire career being known as a premier defender yet he has always played on bottom of the league defenses and he can't actually guard his own man. Birdman was all the rage last year too with all his highlight blocks where many here wanted both him and Camby not realizing that the block is not an indicator of defense. Harrington has been given this title of a guy who can shoot with anybody in the league and Captain Jack has been said to have crossed his game over to a vet leadership role both in play and off the court. Fact is they are all myths about these players sort of like "Hedo was such a force for Orlando."

That's a further indictment of him. Being the best player on the floor in the 4th quarter, talking all game, being paid to be the man, and you are passing the ball off to Erving Johnson or some scrub. When you can't pass the ball you are choking on your jumpshot, bricking a freethrow, dissapearing into yourself. It's even more evident because of how boisterous he is when winning but once the table turns he's sulking into himself and crying rather than stepping up like he's been saying to do all game long. That my friend is why he is overrated, he's a tough guy on the court clapping, yelling and cursing at his opponents trying to punk the likes of Tim Duncan, a guy who no matter what is fully reserved. We all say what happened when he thought he could do the same and get away with our resident Euro, how did that end up for KG? Not as soft as the stereotype would suggest huh? He's given titles like the "ultimate warrior" "all heart", these were all admirable traits when he was crying in a John Thompson interview about how he couldn't take all the losing and we all felt sympathy for him considering the cold, poorly run market and franchise he was playing for but then he get's thrown into a winning situation and what do we see? His true colors the "frontrunner" as the article says, the guy yelling into Ben Gordon's ear from the bench when his team is up but the first one into the locker room when his team lost. All that heart and intensity just turned into false bravado and immaturity and his numbers relfected it.

But, again, how he can be overrated if EVERYONE talks about he avoids the ball on the 4th quarter?

I think he is rated pretty much where he should be: excellent defender, average on offense, kind of a bully. Every single article about him last year made those points, so it's not like people don't talk about this. He took a team with Sprewell and Cassel to the WCF, he took a Boston team to the championship, and when he missed significant time last year it was easy enough to see the difference: Boston allowed 10 more points per game and had a winning record that was almost 10% worse then when he was playing...

But, again, how he can be overrated if EVERYONE talks about he avoids the ball on the 4th quarter?

I think he is rated pretty much where he should be: excellent defender, average on offense, kind of a bully. Every single article about him last year made those points, so it's not like people don't talk about this. He took a team with Sprewell and Cassel to the WCF, he took a Boston team to the championship, and when he missed significant time last year it was easy enough to see the difference: Boston allowed 10 more points per game and had a winning record that was almost 10% worse then when he was playing...

You say everyone but when exactly do you hear that over all the other things he does well? You hear more about Kobe's selfishness and Shaq's immaturity far more than you will ever hear of KG's *ssholeness or late game dissapearing acts. It's because he's more likable, so much so to the point that despite Pierce being the Celtics franchise player for years, being the one not only defending but scoring with the game's preeminent offensive forces Kobe and Lebron on his way to winning finals MVP....They are still considered KG's team. KG's absence is why they won't win again, KG! KG! KG! They barely mention that team's always apparent lack of depth, the fact they were starting Scalabrine because of it, Ray Allen playing like crap most the year, hell even you now are underrating Cassel and Spewell's accomplishments for that WCF team. When he's "alone" he wins nothing. When he gets a team with other allstars all of a sudden it's all him? That's why he's overrated, hey may carry his own weight but he sure as hell has never carried a team on his own and people need to stop pretending like he has.

You say everyone but when exactly do you hear that over all the other things he does well? You hear more about Kobe's selfishness and Shaq's immaturity far more than you will ever hear of KG's *ssholeness or late game dissapearing acts. It's because he's more likable, so much so to the point that despite Pierce being the Celtics franchise player for years, being the one not only defending but scoring with the game's preeminent offensive forces Kobe and Lebron on his way to winning finals MVP....They are still considered KG's team. KG's absence is why they won't win again, KG! KG! KG! They barely mention that team's always apparent lack of depth, the fact they were starting Scalabrine because of it, Ray Allen playing like crap most the year, hell even you now are underrating Cassel and Spewell's accomplishments for that WCF team. When he's "alone" he wins nothing. When he gets a team with other allstars all of a sudden it's all him? That's why he's overrated, hey may carry his own weight but he sure as hell has never carried a team on his own and people need to stop pretending like he has.

I watched every celtics game of the 08 playoffs... and every single close game they mentioned how KG struggled late in the 4th quarter. Bill Simmons wrote a column about how the celtics weren't going to win because of KG. Last year there were special issues and several "round tables" by experts talking about KG's antics, to the point where there was an ESPN magazine dedicated to it. Everyone who follows the NBA consistently has heard about how KG disappears late in the game and how obnoxious he is on the court.

And it's considered KG's team, well, because when it was only Pierce the Celtics at their best only reached a ECF in a weak east. And Allen certainly was not the one who made them the elite team they became.

I watched every celtics game of the 08 playoffs... and every single close game they mentioned how KG struggled late in the 4th quarter. Bill Simmons wrote a column about how the celtics weren't going to win because of KG. Last year there were special issues and several "round tables" by experts talking about KG's antics, to the point where there was an ESPN magazine dedicated to it. Everyone who follows the NBA consistently has heard about how KG disappears late in the game and how obnoxious he is on the court.

And it's considered KG's team, well, because when it was only Pierce the Celtics at their best only reached a ECF in a weak east. And Allen certainly was not the one who made them the elite team they became.

I never said there's never been negative news reported on him, how else would I know of his monumental choking. What I said is that you never hear enough of it and at the same time the media is more likely to place the reasons of success on KG alone. Yea Pierce took that team to an ECF, Allen had been to one too, KG had been to a WCF, they all experienced success up until just tasting a finals appearance. Now all of a sudden they are put together, Allen wasn't great, KG was great, Pierce was greater but it's now KGs team, he's the one to lead them to the promised land. The Magic and Lakers have an asterix because KG was hurt during this year's playoffs, can the Celtics hold out for a possible KG return? The Celtics will be better next season simply because KG will be back! These are the things you hear and read and it aggravates me because Kobe wasn't doing much after Shaq and it took Gasol to get him over the hump. Would a reporter dare call that team Gasol's team?