• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

A more formulaic NBA's most overrated list

MaceCase

Al Harrington ( agree . . . although it's hard to hate on Al, because he does have skills. )

Rudy Gay ( disagree . . . it's not his fault the Grizzlies don't win. Rudy is a baller )

Stephen Jackson ( agree . . . . he had a terrible NJSI last year )

Andrea Bargnani ( agree . . and Raptor fans will hate his contract in year 3 )

Danny Granger ( strongly disagree . . . Granger is the real deal. The rest of his team is just soft as hell. Granger does remind me a lot of Big Dog in his prime though )

David West ( agree . . . David has seemed to fallen off a bit )

Mehmet Okur ( agree . . . he was hurt, but if Okur had Bill Laimbeer's toughness, he'd be the ish )

Richard Jefferson ( disagree . . . I was suprised he did as well as he did without Jason Kidd )

Jamal Crawford ( of course I agree . . . Jamal has been "fool's gold" for a minute now. I just hope he's at least "real silver" for us )

Jermaine O’Neal ( strongly agree . . . JO was garbage last year. He was supposedly the missing piece for Toronto. Then they promptly got rid of his azz )

Charlie Villanueva ( agree . . . he's strictly a scorer, and almost a complete liability on the defensive end )

Jeff Green ( indifferent . . . . Haven't seen enough of Jeff to have an opinion one way or the other )

Richard Hamilton ( disagree . . . they had no business taking him out of the starting lineup, and messing with his minutes )

Thaddeus Young ( disagree . . Thad, for as young as he is, is a nice player )

Michael Beasley ( disagree . . . he should've been starting in the first place. Sit Haslem down, and let Beasley get major minutes )

that's not a bad list i guess. the list that i would like to see, and am way too lazy to do myself, is one that compares those sets of metrics for evaluating the players, compared to their salaries. that is where i think you can get a better sence of where their "value" is. when you have to build teams within a salary cap structure, the value per dollar spent is what's so critical. if there weren't a salary cap, then it wouldn't be so important and you could base their value solely on metrics alone.

Pretty dumb system to me because who is actually rating these guys high to begin with ? Where are they ranked so high at that after analyzing them they would be overrated . Its basically a stat whores holy grail. There have always been volume scorers and there always will be . No one on that lists is considered a #1 guy and most are borderline #2 guys and #3's so how are they overrated unless the guy calculating the stats somehow envisions a nba where there are no middle man and the talent pool goes from bench riding role players straight to #1 franchise players with no other talent in between.

• Moderators

The stat based overrated system is less a comment on the players themselves or people's perceptions of those players as they are criticisms of the statistics. The author is arguing that these people have inflated PERs, Gamescores, Efficiency Scorers, etc. The reason they are inflated is that the author's regression analysis comes to a different measure of the player's value and these are the players for whom the difference is the largest.

It has nothing to do with public perception of what these players bring to the table or of what they are paid or anything like that. It is purely a measure of how far the difference is between the player's performance in a particular statistical measure (like PER) versus the Win Share number the author generates. In fact, the author notes that some of these players are very good - just the statistical measure of their performance is inflated by those metrics.

By this measure I find it comical that the Pistons now have the largest collection of overrated players at 3 with Hamilton, Gordon and Charlie V. and 3 others share either being on the Warriors or Knicks. NIce to see it wasn't just in my mind noticing those particular aspects.