Horford, a less mechanical Charles Oakley

jerrywest

Oakley was a fierce competitor in the mold of Horford. They got the same sort of physical and mind games. Both had that reliable mid range jump shot, but no post up games. Both had tremendous thirst for rebounding. Oakley didn't have Horford's athletic ability or ball handling, but he was never a stat guy just like Horford. He was all about the team and made the all star team once by his sheer presence. Horford has a much higher ceiling than Oakley. I'd say Oakley sort of had Shelden Williams body but Horford's mindset.

Oakley was a fierce competitor in the mold of Horford. They got the same sort of physical and mind games. Both had that reliable mid range jump shot, but no post up games. Both had tremendous thirst for rebounding. Oakley didn't have Horford's athletic ability or ball handling, but he was never a stat guy just like Horford. He was all about the team and made the all star team once by his sheer presence. Horford has a much higher ceiling than Oakley. I'd say Oakley sort of had Shelden Williams body but Horford's mindset.

Oakley's offensive game was limited to shooting jump shots, as you note. As such, I really hope Al's game does not resemble Oakley's. Horford will never be Kevin McHale but lets hope he at least becomes a modest low post scorer.

Speaking of McHale, I hate him as a GM but would love him as an assistant coach. He is unemployed and available at the moment....

Best offensive post fundamentals I ever seen............well a tie with Hakeem "The Dream."

It makes too much since.

I don't think his ego can take a hit from GM, to heach coach, to assistant under Woody.

If I was a betting back my money would be on McHale working for Bird in Indy or Ainge in Boston by next season.

Did Rambis end up with the head coaching job in Minny ? If so that is pretty ironic since Rambis and McHales fought often back in the 80's.

• Premium Member

1. McHale seems like he could excel as a head coach if given the right situation. Some guys are just better cut out to be in the front office, and some better to be on the bench... different skill sets.

2. Back to the topic of this thread...

I don't recall this Oakley that you guys are talking about... Oakley's scoring was almost totally reliant on put-backs. He was a defense-and-rebounding machine, with only slightly more offensive ability than Rodman. I'm not saying he never shot a jump shot, but it wasn't often, which is only reasonable given the other options on those teams who could, in fact, shoot.

Horford can shoot, and I disagree that he has no low-post moves. Depending on the opponent and depending on his own health, he's got to be accounted for. Earlier than later in the season, he proved that he could even be the primary option if JJ wasn't on... I think his Dec game agasint Chicago is one very good example.

Horford, to my mind, is kind of like a 2000s edition of Dave Cowens... runs the floor well, not great but not bad at any particular facet of the game, would get you some blocks and rebounds in spite of being a bit undersized on most nights.