• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are any decent PGs available?

DJlaysitup

This isn't intended to be a "Bash Jeff Teague" thread - but we have to be a bit realistic. Bibby is probably out for a week or so and we now realize that we really don't have a #2 PG who can step in and get the job done. I don't see how the Hawks can gamble this great start with nobody to handle the PG spot in case of injury. Bibby's great, but he's no Spring chicken. I think management needs to get down to business and get us a guy like Anthony Johnson usta be...a solid pro who can get the job done in Bibby's absense...distribute...play some D...and make the open shot from the perimeter.

I'm not talking about spending big bucks - just get a solid second string PG that can be trusted to not flock things up.

This isn't intended to be a "Bash Jeff Teague" thread - but we have to be a bit realistic. Bibby is probably out for a week or so and we now realize that we really don't have a #2 PG who can step in and get the job done. I don't see how the Hawks can gamble this great start with nobody to handle the PG spot in case of injury. Bibby's great, but he's no Spring chicken. I think management needs to get down to business and get us a guy like Anthony Johnson usta be...a solid pro who can get the job done in Bibby's absense...distribute...play some D...and make the open shot from the perimeter.

I'm not talking about spending big bucks - just get a solid second string PG that can be trusted to not flock things up.

I agree, Teague is going to need some more seasoning to really flourish into a reliable PG, but Bibby's going to have enough rest to play in the next game ( Thursday ), so nothing TOO urgent.

I agree, Teague is going to need some more seasoning to really flourish into a reliable PG, but Bibby's going to have enough rest to play in the next game ( Thursday ), so nothing TOO urgent.

Yep, maybe not too urgent now - but you can't have a spot as important as PG where there is no depth. This little injury isn't what I'm worried about...it's a long season. We have to be prepared. We can do without one of Randolph or Collins on the roster - and get a solid backup PG. (knock on wood) but if Bibby were to get a more serious injury (like a high ankle sprain) he could be out for a month and we'd be up the creek without a paddle.

Unfortunately, we will be saying the same thing next season. lol I would reserve my judgement about Woody and rookie point guards till all star break. If Teague doesn't show any marginal progress, then we shouldn't renew Woody's contract. The only reason why Marvin Horf and Smoove developed is because Woody had no other option but to start them. Yet after all this years, Woody still isn't really getting the most out of them. He just tries to force a square peg in a round hole.

Trade for Collison. Maybe Woody would trust him after what he saw last night.. I highly doubt he would though

I wish we could trade for Alston or Ridnour, but anything I try with the trade machine is impossible when I try to get rid of our big flaw, Mo Evans.

• Premium Member

I watched Collison's 2 saturday's ago as a BU and I watched him Sat. 2 saturday's ago while playing BU, he looked scared, tentative, lost..... Saturday, he kicked our teeth in. It's interesting what attention and playing time can do for a young player. That's what Teague needs. Attention and playing time... Not to be put in the 3rd seat and told, we'll put confidence in you later.

Diesael is correct.

There is something wrong with the PG roster spots on the Hawks.

Was it / is it the fault of our GM that Acie Law IV and now Jeff T. were neither one good PG's?

Or, do we blame their failure on Woody, who has the responsibility of playing them and

developing them?

We know about the limited playing time. That is Woody's normal way of operating. Yet,

as pointed out, CP3 went down. He is Mr. PG. The greatest thing since sliced bread.

The entire team / season is lost without CP3. Right? Uh, no. Didn't happen that way.

Rookie, back up PG comes in and replaces CP3. Looks lost and can't play. That was

the first game or two. Now, CP3 is looking like a second string PG behind this rookie.

CP3 is an all star. Yet, when you compare him to his back up, some things just don't

add up for the team. With this new guy, the team is winning - - Better than they were

when CP3 was starting.

Does other GM's have the knack / ability to pick PG's in the draft that have the ability to

come on and become good / great players in the NBA and our GM have no such ability?

Why do we all go into the panic mode when Bibby goes down? Is it because we, as fans,

have no trust in Agent 0 to run the point? Do we not trust our GM's ability to draft a PG?

Do we not trust Woody's ability to develop a PG? Which do we not trust? Maybe it's a

combination of all three.

With Bibby out, Agent 0 should be our starting PG. That's what he was drafted for, to

play PG for the Hawks. They have plenty of time to work with him with the huge gap

between games. Since we have no real PG coach on our coaches roster and since

Bibby is, in fact, our offensive leader, he should be assigned as a personal coach

to Agent 0. He can't play or practice with his sprained ankle. However, there is no

reason he can't sit on the bench during practice and mentor Agent 0. If he doesn't

do this, who will? Hawks really have no one else as capable of doing this as Bibby.

• Moderators

We need to develop Teague. Big picture, we need him to be ready to start in the next 10-22 months and to be an effective role player this season.

It's interesting what attention and playing time can do for a young player. That's what Teague needs. Attention and playing time...

Agreed. And he needs that even when Bibby is healthy because you can't count on Bibby to stay healthy and to not see his physical skills deteriorate over time.

We need to develop Teague. Big picture, we need him to be ready to start in the next 10-22 months and to be an effective role player this season.

Agreed. And he needs that even when Bibby is healthy because you can't count on Bibby to stay healthy and to not see his physical skills deteriorate over time.

Agree 100%! We don't need a injury to get our 3rd PG playing time when he is rookie. A seasoned vet could ride the pine and just pop in to give quality minutes. Rookies need that seasoning. Imagine if this happens in the playoffs and Teague still has not been given some quality minutes. I like Crawford but him and JJ playing a lot of minutes together at the 1 and 2 is a scary proposition.

Right now we can determine the mismatches bringing Craw in off the bench. If he is our starter, and we have no PG to sub quickly, then things go bad we are in trouble on both ends of the floor. We need a true pg starting or at least getting 30 minutes a game like Bibby does. And Teague needs to get some playing time before a disaster comes along and forces it.

Edited by Buzzard