Going Easy?

buckeye242424

From AJC:

Going easy

The team had a light practice Monday that lasted less than an hour. Afterwards, Woodson played rookie Jeff Teague one-on-one. The coach showed some range, not to mention some creative scorekeeping and officiating technique, to defeat Teague. Woodson also challenged guard Joe Johnson to make shots around the floor. Woodson drilled one from perhaps five feet inside the halfcourt line, but Johnson won by banking a 30-foot shot from the sideline.

Practice less than an hour? Interesting. Woody playing one one one with the rook and challenging JJ to half court shots??

Which begs the question...is it too early in the season to be goofing around when they could be trying to get better? Or is this a strategy by Woody to build team morale by having a little fun?

In my opinion, at this point in the season they don't need to be treating practice like training camp, but we're far from a perfect team and could be utilizing practice time a little more efficiently.

I take it you have never coached before.... Its a game, sometimes we forget that and lose focus. It is suppose to be fun.

I have. I know it's supposed to be fun. I know there's a time and place for it. But practicing less than an hour and goofing off....why not just give them the day off and rest?

• Premium Member

I have. I know it's supposed to be fun. I know there's a time and place for it. But practicing less than an hour and goofing off....why not just give them the day off and rest?

I think these were more chemistry building things that Woody was doing. I don't agree that you should break the consistency of practicing. I think this is better than a day off in that you come and you practice as you have done before. The reward for good play is that you don't practice so hard.

It could have easily just been a mental practice, which is just as important. Maybe there were a couple of adjustments he saw that needed to be made and after they were done with that, He dismissed them... Who knows? But we can't possibly be true Fans if we are always looking for fault and negativity....

It could have easily just been a mental practice, which is just as important. Maybe there were a couple of adjustments he saw that needed to be made and after they were done with that, He dismissed them... Who knows? But we can't possibly be true Fans if we are always looking for fault and negativity....

There's no need to generalize an entire board on one simple observation by me. I'm not saying how Woody handles practice time is right or wrong, just an observation dude....calm down.

I'm not a Woody fan but there is nothing wrong with a laid back, fun practice every once in a while if the team is playing well. During the middle of the season the practices are redundant anyway and you essentially do the same things every practice, so it's not like a short one will have a big effect.