• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Josh Smith December decline...?

SneakerKing33

Buenos dias guys, im obviously new to the Hawk squak but ive been a fan for 18 years, and am currently a member on real gm as well.

Josh came out the gates hot in November with 2.8 blocks and 9.7 rebounds and 3.7 assists. In December he is 6.4 boards, 1.7 blocks, 2.8 assists and he is also averaging almost 8 less minutes. I realize we have waxed a ton of teams but Josh has been in constant foul trouble. Im not gonna complain yet bc he has played so well for us this year but I hope this isnt gonna become consistent. Ive also noticed that hes been playing alot more in mature in his waning energy and giving up on plays. Thoughts and or concerns?

I think its the shoes.... I've noticed he recently switched sneakers since the Chicago game... from the Adidas TS Commander LT to the Adidas TS Supernatural Commander

LOL jk but yeah he has been getting into foul trouble a lot lately

Josh's game has always been dependant on his effort rather than his skill. If the effort is not there then the decline in his production is very evident all across the board. It may have not been as evident during the homestand blowouts but it seems he's decided to take this road trip off and it has hurt us even more that we haven't had Joe Smith either to step in at the 4.

The blowouts and the foul trouble have significantly reduced his overall numbers. He hasn't had a double-digit rebound game since the blowout vs Orlando, and he's only had 2 games with zero blocks.

What is a little concerning, is his drop in FG%. He's shooting a little under 47% for the month ( which is actually high for him career wise ). But if he wants to make that all-star team, the FG% needs to stay above 50%.

On the bright side, he's shooting 69% on his FTs this month. If he can continue to stay around 70%, that'll be great for us.

Like CtoC said, it's all about effort when it comes to Josh. We're going to need his effort BIG TIME in the next 20 or so games. If he raises the FG% back to above 50%, keeps making his FTs, and plays SMART BASKETBALL by not picking up cheap, unnecessary fouls, then he'll be OK.

He is not playing as well as the hot start where he was like top 10 in the league in efficiency, but Im still proud of him because he's playing far better than he's ever played in his career.

Even in an off month per say, as stated above his FG% is still better than his career number in that department.

He's taking far fewer dumb shots this year than in the past, he just hasn't been getting the bounce on a lot of shots around the rim.

Josh should be cool. Al is looking like the Hulk when angry, taking some pressure off Josh. He is taking way more long jumpers lately than anyone would like, though.

Ive noticed that too, he may not be shooting threes but he is starting to shoot from 1 or 2 steps inside the 3pt line at least 2 or 3 times a game as of late. To me this is the same risk but a lower reward if he shoots 20 foot 2 pointers. I think Josh is telling himself thats its ok to take those shots now as long as they arent behind the line, nobody will ride him. He needs to get back into the paint though, fast.

• Like 1