• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

All-Time Hawks PG

Wave

• Admin

Since I have only watched the Hawks from the early 80s I can not pick anyone before that.

I think the best point guard since I have been watching the Hawks has been Doc Rivers. I very good defensive player who played second fiddle to Nique very well. Always knew when to get him the ball.

He could also score when needed.

Second would be Mookie Blaylok. Talk about awsome defence. Mookie was it. I always enjoyed watching him play. He was a great backcourt mate for Steve Smith.

i followed the hawks since the early 90s so i would say...

Mookie Blaylock. In fact, i shaped my game after him. At that era (when Blaylock was here and i was a young kid), my best basketball skill was stealing. comparin my skills with other kids, i wasnt significantly better/worse at any certain skill other than STEALING. Now that JT is our PG, my best basketball skill is shooting and i somewhat standout when it comes to pure shooting... kinda weird, aye?

btw- i shoot about 90% from fts in practice/playin around. whenever im stressed, i like to shoot here and there just to get my mind off. I shoot about 100 free throws after every practice just to relax.

As far as 3's, in practice (not guarded)... i shoot anywhere from 25% (rough/bad day) to 60% (good day- like the other day when i was practicin...).

kinda weird... i play according to the hawks current PGs.

so in that case, yes DIESEL... according to u, im not a PG. lol

Also, it's ok to be a fan of one player. It beats worrying about 12 guys."

We don't have 12 players.lol!

"

Hey, at least Dickau fans try to be positive. We don't come on here and do nothing but b**ch and complain."

Doesn't look like I'm the only one complaining these

days. [censored], Reef and Theo are even complaining!

• Premium Member

If I had to rank them....

1. Doc Rivers. - He was the best assist guy, good scoring guy.

2. Lenny Wilkens - It's hard not to put him #1. Lenny was great at Scoring, Great at Rebounding (between him and Hazzard best rebounding PG, i think Lenny got it) and just good at assists. Defensively he's close to Doc if not better. Leadership wise, Lenny is the best. The problem was that Doc had some top 50 years as a Hawks PG... The problem is that Lenny's best years came in Seattle when he would put up 22.4 ppg, 9.1 apg, and 6.2 rpg along with Strong defense.

3. Mookie Blaylock. Mookie was probably not the highest assist guy but he makes up for it in scoring and defense. His defense was better than Any other Hawks PG Period.

4. Walt Hazzard. Played his best years as a Hawk. He had his best Scoring, Assists, and rebounds.

5. Fast Eddie Johnson - This is the older version of JT. His scoring was all there. His assists were so so. His rebounding was weak.

5. JT -

6. Tom Henderson - I haven't heard that name in a while. I remember him with Atlanta and Houston. I think he played pretty well. He was NO Hazzard. The thing about Hazzard was his strength... I wouldn't want to be on the court with him. However, Henderson was OK.

7. Spud Webb - This guy is definitely a good Pure PG. The problems: When Spud got in the game, You knew that he wasn't going to get any rebounds.... He wasn't going to hoist any threes. I don't know if it was a matter of strength for Spud, but he didn't put up many three pointers and that made him an off the bench kinda guy.

8. Rumeal Robinson - This guy gets dumped on all the time. I think he was similar to JT in that he needed a lot of time to get his game ready for the NBA. He was really the prototype to Antonio Daniels. He was a big STRONG PG who couldn't run an offense. HIS MAIN Problem ( which is funny when you look at his college career) is that he couldn't hit free throws. I remember his last game with Michigan and how he won it for them at the line. Well, for us and everybody else, I think he was a pitiful free throw shooter. I was happy to get Mookie. Mookie had made King look good at OK (that's a bit of trivia you young guns won't know).

Cliff Hagen. Hall of famer.... However, wasn't he a SF. On occassions he pulled a Scottie Pippen, but I wouldn't call him a PG.

9. Dan Dickau. Who knows.

10. Donnie Boyce. I wanted to see this guy do well.

Never did like Mookie all that much. In the playoffs

it seemed like he was a libility. IF I remember correctly,

he basically got owned by Lindsey Hunter in the playoffs.

It always seemed that Hunter locked him up(Even though

with Mookie's shooting woes he oftened locked himself up)

and the only reason we beat Detroit was because of Deke.

Mookie was one of the poorest shooting players I've ever

seen. The only thing he really brought to the table was

his defense.

Lenny played for the St. Louis Hawks from 1960-1967.

Doc played for the Atlanta Hawks from 1984-1991.

Mookie played for the Hawks from 1993-1999.

It would have to be between these three. Nothing against guys like Walt Hazzard and Pete Maravich, but I don't think they played long enough with the Hawks to be considered one of the All-Time greats for the Hawks.

Lenny played most of his Hawks career with Bob Petit and Cliff Hagan, two Hall of Fame players. He also had a very good player in Clyde Lovellette as well. There was one season where Petit averaged 31.1 ppg, Hagan averaged 22.9 ppg, Lovellette averaged 20.9 ppg, and Wilkens averaged 18.2 ppg, and the Hawks had a losing season! How did that happen?

I think when Lenny played, the league was less watered down. There were more good players on teams than there are today. Because of this, teams were better league wide.

An argument could be made that the 80s, when Doc played with Atlanta, was the high mark of NBA basketball though. There were probably more superstar players in the 80s than in any other era. More TRUE superstar players. Guys like Jordan, Magic, and Bird just to name three.

It is a tough choice. Some that watched the Hawks when Lenny played will probably pick them. Others who didn't start watching the Hawks till the 80s would probably pick Doc. Myself, I didn't start watching till the 80s, but I do have an appreciation for the History of the sport.

Lenny's Hawks numbers: 15.5 ppg, 5.5 apg, 4.9 rpg

Doc's Hawks numbers: 12.9 ppg, 6.8 apg, 3.5 rpg

Who was the better player? Does the fact that Lenny is a HOFer where Doc isn't come into play?

I'd have to go with Lenny, myself.

1. Lenny Wilkens

2. Doc Rivers

3. Mookie Blaylock