• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We are not trading JJ

Buzzard

I posted this in the Sixers interested in T-Mac thread...think it should have its on thread.

Unless Sund is dead sure we are losing JJ, I don't see him being traded. We may not have gained ground on the Cavs and Magic; but we have on the old and injury proned Celtics. Sund probably sees us ( I do thats for damn sure ) as one player away from moving right into contention with the upper two and he is not going to blow that up; unless he has a real fear JJ wants to leave even if we beat all offers and give him the 6th year.

One player away means possibly trading Marvin, Craw (last year of his two year deal), Smoove, Bibby, Teague and/or filler next season; not JJ and I don't think Horf since he will be newly signed ( or still on his rookie deal? ). There will be a lot of movement next year. No telling who moves up and down until the dust has settled. Its not like all the top tier free agents are positively going to contenders in the east. We could possibly stand pat and end up 2nd in east behind only Orlando.

Edited by Buzzard

Inconsistency ftw!!..

seriously, I doubt Joe comes back for anything under 14 million a year (what he pay him now) and I just don't want to do that. This guy gets paid more than D Wade...I would rather give Wade 16 million, than give Joe 14 million...if the offer is good enough, we should trade Joe BEFORE we trade anybody else...in fact, we should put him on the trade block before the deadline to see if there are any takers..

Inconsistency ftw!!..

seriously, I doubt Joe comes back for anything under 14 million a year (what he pay him now) and I just don't want to do that. This guy gets paid more than D Wade...I would rather give Wade 16 million, than give Joe 14 million...if the offer is good enough, we should trade Joe BEFORE we trade anybody else...in fact, we should put him on the trade block before the deadline to see if there are any takers..

We can't get D Wade. Moving only JJ will not give us enough cap space to make a max offer to anyone. So what is your real point? Blow up our team by trading JJ so we cannot get a better player; therefore taking us out of contention all together. Sounds like a really bad plan to me. You act like even if we can make the cap room its automatic we get D Wade. The only thing automatic is we can top all offers to JJ.

Edited by Buzzard

..I just don't think its a good idea to break the bank for.....Joe Johnson. My Carolina Panthers learned the hard way. We payed Julius Peppers 16 million dollars (a million a game) for this dude to play like garbage in half of our games..

• Like 1

..I just don't think its a good idea to break the bank for.....Joe Johnson. My Carolina Panthers learned the hard way. We payed Julius Peppers 16 million dollars (a million a game) for this dude to play like garbage in half of our games..

That is football. My opinion on 16 million a year in football is: any team is crazy as hell to give that kind of money to a player that is not your starting quarterback. Basketball is different; only five positions and any all-star can make a huge impact and that is why all-stars get max money.

Edited by Buzzard

That is football. My opinion on 16 million a year in football is: any team is crazy as hell to give that kind of money to a player that is not your staring quarterback. Basketball is different; only five positions and any all-star can make a huge impact and that is why all-stars get max money.

Yeah, I get what you're saying, but I would rather let Joe walk, and have Craw start, then give him 16 million dollars..or anything over what he already pay him...I love Joe...but I hate overpaying people..

The problem is that if you just subtract Joe off the roster and put a MLE guy in his place then the team takes a huge step back because they aren't going to have caproom anytime soon. (assuming you want to extend Horford) Without Joe this team takes a huge step back. OFTEN teams have felt like they couldn't lose their best player and later on regretted overpaying the guy. But to me if you didn't want to retain Joe Johnson then he should have been traded this past offseason when the team would have more leverage.

• Premium Member

Inconsistency ftw!!..

I just have to ask...who keeps giving this guy negative marks? Where is there anything in that post that deserved a -1? You can disagree with what he said but it is a sensible opinion and it does not violate the forum rules or insult anyone. Does someone have an agenda against this dude?

• Like 1

I just have to ask...who keeps giving this guy negative marks? Where is there anything in that post that deserved a -1? You can disagree with what he said but it is a sensible opinion and it does not violate the forum rules or insult anyone. Does someone have an agenda against this dude?

Don't worry about it Soth. I don't even know where to find that a -1 was voted for my post LOL. But I do appreciate you speaking up on my behalf.

Go Hawks!

thanks for speaking up...haters man..haters..

Go Hawks!

Inconsistency ftw!!..

you need to get off wade's jock. he's not coming to atlanta, nor does he want to nor can we get him.

i don't think there are really any guide lines to how to use those positive or negative marks. i don't exactly know why anyone would pay attention to them though.

Just for the record (and I'm baffled as to why nobody pointed this out):

DWade is making $15,779,912 this season, Joe is making $14,976,754.

When DWade signs his contract in summer - whether he stays in Miami or leaves - he'll be at over $20M per (because we know he'll get the max)...

Just thought I'd bring facts to the table... in response to the "This guy gets paid more than D Wade" comment above. Mainly because - it's not true.

Additionally, this idea of "I'd rather give DWade 16 than Joe 14" makes sense, unfortunately:

There's no doubt DWade is getting $20M+ per this summer - so not only can we not afford DWade (our offer would have to be on the upwards of $100M over 5 years).. but, but assuming he stays in Miami - he'll actually be likely getting a 6 year offer at $133 M total (assuming around a $64M salary cap).

If we keep Joe - is Joe a "bad deal" at 6 years and $96M if DWade is 6 years and $133M?

Just curious.

M

Can't have this discussion without including the S&T option. I think that it could be possible to move JJ and to strengthen the team for the long run. We might take a step back this year, but the right S&T could really put us in a top contention position for the next three or four years.

We lack a bit of size, lack strong PG play and re-signing JJ would tie our hands as to our options.

If we sign JJ, I think we will find that these Hawks are near their plateau, if we can pull off a S&T that brings us a starting C or PG and more payroll flexibility in the near future.

I don't see these Hawks winning it all as is.

Woodson isn't a championship coach either.

Personally I think if Wade is your best player then you can compete for a championship- if Joe is your best player you aren't in competition for the championship so uncategorically I would prefer Wade even with the injury risk.

And I really think people are overestimating how much the Hawks could get in a S&T of Joe Johnson. When so many teams have the caproom to sign Joe outright the Hawks have VERY little leverage. Getting only a TPE is a very possible scenario.

Personally I think if Wade is your best player then you can compete for a championship- if Joe is your best player you aren't in competition for the championship so uncategorically I would prefer Wade even with the injury risk.

And I really think people are overestimating how much the Hawks could get in a S&T of Joe Johnson. When so many teams have the caproom to sign Joe outright the Hawks have VERY little leverage. Getting only a TPE is a very possible scenario.

When one was the last time the Heat competed for a championship ?

When Shaq was was still the best center in basketball........that is when.

Wade could not even get past JJ and the Hawks in the playoffs last year.