• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Merged: Hawks Protest Denied

blissful1153

Don't have a link yet but Lang Whitaker and Arthur Triche both reported it on Twitter a few minutes ago.

Said David Stern: "the shot clock error did not have clear impact" on game's outcome and "did not justify...granting the protest."

SMH.

Nice. I guess losing the ball when you are up by 1pt with less than 2 minutes is no big deal. And what about the refs and the shot clock team? The refs should have noticed it, the shot clock team should have brought it up, and it should have been worked out during the timeout that we called immediately following.

Don't have a link yet but Lang Whitaker and Arthur Triche both reported it on Twitter a few minutes ago.

Said David Stern: "the shot clock error did not have clear impact" on game's outcome and "did not justify...granting the protest."

SMH.

A one possession game and we lost over half a possession. How much more of an impact is needed?

• Like 1

I would have been upset about this a week or so ago, but we are playing well right now (except Monday). We just need to get that monkey off of our backs and try to keep the third spot in the East and focus on moving up in the standings.

Agreed. I had honestly forgotten about it. Hate it didn't go our way but there is plenty of time to make up that game in the standings. The season is only halfway over.

• Squawkers

The league today denied the Hawks’ protest of their Dec. 30 loss at Cleveland due to a shot clock error.

“From the time we filed our protest, we indicated that we would allow the process to run its course, and today, the commissioner's office has reached a decision,” Hawks GM Rick Sund said in a statement. “We abide by the league's decision and will have no further comment regarding this matter.”

At least there will be no real letdown for the Hawks. It seems no one in the organization really expected to get a replay of the final two minutes of that 106-101 defeat.

Probably some of that is because it’s rare for the league to overturn a game result (yes, I know it happened to the Hawks). There’s also the feeling, shared by lots of people who follow (or hate) the NBA, that the league would not make a ruling at the expense of one of its marquee teams (we are back to Dwyane Wade and Shaquille O’Neal’s Heat winning that protest of the Dec. 19, 2007 loss to the Hawks). …

View the full article

• Moderators

I don't mind this ruling at all but it points out the absurdity of its ruling in the Miami protest. The league should never have granted that one. Also, the idea of "clear impact" is a terrible standard. Of course it had a clear impact. The standard should be for something other than clear impact. When an offensive player gets the ball stolen and the defender is going unimpeded to the basket and the refs incorrectly call a phantom foul and send the offensive player to the line for 2, that is a clear impact on the game. A game needs to be replayed just about never. Screwups should be dealt with by disciplining the refs/scoreboard operators/etc. not by replaying the games.

• Like 1

Nice. I guess losing the ball when you are up by 1pt with less than 2 minutes is no big deal. And what about the refs and the shot clock team? The refs should have noticed it, the shot clock team should have brought it up, and it should have been worked out during the timeout that we called immediately following.

if I remember correctly, didnt the Hawks shoot the ball before they knew there was a problem with the shot clock? If so then the right decision was made. Stern is crooked but he may be correct on this one

• Moderators

if I remember correctly, didnt the Hawks shoot the ball before they knew there was a problem with the shot clock? If so then the right decision was made. Stern is crooked but he may be correct on this one

No. the shot clock was expiring so they rushed to try to get a shot off and turned it over. The clock directly impacted that possession.

I don't mind this ruling at all but it points out the absurdity of its ruling in the Miami protest. The league should never have granted that one. Also, the idea of "clear impact" is a terrible standard. Of course it had a clear impact. The standard should be for something other than clear impact. When an offensive player gets the ball stolen and the defender is going unimpeded to the basket and the refs incorrectly call a phantom foul and send the offensive player to the line for 2, that is a clear impact on the game. A game needs to be replayed just about never. Screwups should be dealt with by disciplining the refs/scoreboard operators/etc. not by replaying the games.

Exactly it was absurd when they did it to us. However it just points out what we all know NBA is at least halfway fixed. Certain teams and certain players get the help of the league and the officials!

• Premium Member

Yeah, I agree with this.

:thumbsdownsmileyanim:

It's all in how you say it:

"The shot clock error did not have clear impact on the game's outcome." David Stern

He could have just as well said: "We were not going to let the King lose a game on his

birthday. If this hadn't have happened, something else surely would have. Count on it"

In this paticular game, the clock operator and not the players on the floor, decided the outcome.

:cant believe:

• Like 1