• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do Hawks need a True Center?

PaceRam

Am I way off base thinking the Hawks need a True Center to compete with some of the elite (Majic, Lakers, Cavs, etc) teams in the NBA? Maybe I am wrong but is just seems to me that everytime the Hawks play a team who has a Big Center (Dwight Howard, etc) the Hawks have a very dificult time stopping them. As much as I like Horford (and, I think he is a great player and I am thrilled he is a Hawk!) I think he is more of a Power Forward than a "True Center"? I keep hoping that the Hawks will either trade for a Big Center or Draft one but so far that has not happened so I am guessing I am probably wrong.

• Moderators

Who is the center we should have drafted that would handle Dwight Howard? Alternately, what is the trade you think we should make to acquire this center who won't have a very difficult time stopping Howard?

Lol. Yea, this comes up a lot.

I think Collins did a good job agains Shaq, but he probably won't do well against an athletic big like Howard.

I still like Lopez but I doubt NJ will give him up any time soon.

The nice thing about Horford is he can run the floor which suites our "offence" nicely...

This argument keeps coming up over and over again. It was an issue when we drafted Horford and will be as long as he remains a Hawk and plays C. I have said it since draft day, he is a starting center and will develop to one of the best in the league. It's not always about your height its about hor you utilize your height and your basketball IQ.

Am I way off base thinking the Hawks need a True Center to compete with some of the elite (Majic, Lakers, Cavs, etc) teams in the NBA? Maybe I am wrong but is just seems to me that everytime the Hawks play a team who has a Big Center (Dwight Howard, etc) the Hawks have a very dificult time stopping them. As much as I like Horford (and, I think he is a great player and I am thrilled he is a Hawk!) I think he is more of a Power Forward than a "True Center"? I keep hoping that the Hawks will either trade for a Big Center or Draft one but so far that has not happened so I am guessing I am probably wrong.

I think so. I've said this in the past. Horford is a hell of a player but he's small for the center position, even in today's NBA. He's only 6'10 and would be much better playing PF. If you look at all the teams who've won the NBA Championship for as long as I can remember they have had a much bigger frontcourt than we have now. Hawks are a good team, but that might hurt them when they get deep in the playoffs. No one can stop Howard but having a big body that can slow down Howard, Shaq, Yao Ming, Perkins(he's only gonna get better), and the Lakers twin towers would be helpful. We have one in Collins but Woody doesnt seem to use him much at all. I think that is a big mistake. Hopefully in the playoffs, Woody would play him much more against those biggers guys. Just 10 min will do..Collins is a underrated defensive big man..always has been. No need to trade Horford or Josh. Just need to use what we have and Collins is our biggest guy and has already shown he can slow down Shaq when Horford couldnt. Siler would of also been nice to thrown in there but Collins is a proven defender

Yes i think they do but he doesn't have to replace Horford. He could just as easily replace Zaza. A guy like Gortat would be perfect because he can rebound and play good D.

Guys like that are in short supply though.

Perfectly stated.

Gortat, Heywood, or Pryzbilla (when healthy) are the kind of bigs we need off the bench for 20 - 25 minutes a night.

We need a bruiser like ZaZa but with more length. (Not some twiggy help defender like Camby)

Just as you said ..........those guys are in short supply. So we just make do with ZaZa until that apple falls from the center tree.

Edited by coachx

You guys act like you don't want one ©. You want one; you trade for one or you draft em until you get one that sticks. One sure way to never acquire one is to sit around and say we need one, but we'll never get one so we don't even try to get one.

I think we're a Zaza for a Heyward away from being really solid.

I'm concerned about PG too. Seems everyone is content to play this season out and expect a second round exit with a very slim hope of better. I think the time is now to make a bold JJ move and shape the Hawks as the team of the next five years. We have a great core; even without JJ.

Our problem is the same as it has been for a long time; C and PG. Bibby is OK and declining. Teague is a maybe NBA player. Horford is a veery good PF/C, but he, Smoove and Zaza isn't going to do it.

A JJ trade is the only way the Hawks can even the roster and move to the next level. Keep JJ; we probably win 50+ and exit after the second round. Then we're in a situation where we re-sign him at a very high price to a 5-6 year near max deal (he'll be declining during much of his next contract) or he walks and we're left in a cap situation where we can't even sign a player at half JJ's value.

Gotta look for the trade. I'd gladly take 45 wins and a first or second round exit after a JJ trade, if it sets us up with a better PG/C situation to pair with our core of Smoove, Horf, MW, Crawf and maybe Teague. If we can get a C, Zaza is tradeable.

• Moderators

You guys act like you don't want one ©. You want one; you trade for one or you draft em until you get one that sticks. One sure way to never acquire one is to sit around and say we need one, but we'll never get one so we don't even try to get one.

If this is so easy, answer the question and identify how you think the Hawks could trade for or could have drafedt an impact big man who won't struggle with Dwight Howard. It isn't a question of want...it is a question of availability.

• Premium Member

If this is so easy, answer the question and identify how you think the Hawks could trade for or could have drafedt an impact big man who won't struggle with Dwight Howard. It isn't a question of want...it is a question of availability.

What, you didn't hear about how David Copperfield turned Bill Russell into a 23-year old again and made him available for us to take with the 5th pick in the 2006 draft?

Oh wait, Bill Russell is 6'10 too. Nevermind.

Edited by niremetal

What, you didn't hear about how David Copperfield turned Bill Russell into a 23-year old again and made him available for us to take with the 5th pick in the 2006 draft?

Oh wait, Bill Russell is 6'10 too. Nevermind.

Bill Russell played in the era of the 6'7'' center.

I think we're a Zaza for a Heyward away from being really solid.

I'm concerned about PG too. Seems everyone is content to play this season out and expect a second round exit with a very slim hope of better. I think the time is now to make a bold JJ move and shape the Hawks as the team of the next five years. We have a great core; even without JJ.

Our problem is the same as it has been for a long time; C and PG. Bibby is OK and declining. Teague is a maybe NBA player. Horford is a veery good PF/C, but he, Smoove and Zaza isn't going to do it.

A JJ trade is the only way the Hawks can even the roster and move to the next level. Keep JJ; we probably win 50+ and exit after the second round. Then we're in a situation where we re-sign him at a very high price to a 5-6 year near max deal (he'll be declining during much of his next contract) or he walks and we're left in a cap situation where we can't even sign a player at half JJ's value.

Gotta look for the trade. I'd gladly take 45 wins and a first or second round exit after a JJ trade, if it sets us up with a better PG/C situation to pair with our core of Smoove, Horf, MW, Crawf and maybe Teague. If we can get a C, Zaza is tradeable.

You make it sound so easy. What player(s) do you suggest we trade JJ for to fix our PG/C situation? In addition, if you trade JJ, you create a SG situation as well. Crawford is an incredible scorer but he would be a HUGE liability as our starting SG because he can't defend the better SGs in the NBA for long periods. Crawford is a PERFECT 6th man but he is NOT the long term answer as our starting SG in my opinion.

I think we need to focus on resigning JJ and developing Teague. Sund should keep his eyes open for a big man but he shouldn't trade JJ to get him. Trading JJ for a big man would be worse than the Suns trading Marion for Shaq. It would change the entire complexion of our team.

In addition, trading JJ for a big man likely means that Horford of Smoove goes to the bench. Surely you wouldn't trade JJ for a big who comes off the bench?

Say you trade JJ for Al Jefferson or Amare. l guess you could start Smoove at the 3 but with Jefferson (or Amare), Horford and Smoove up front, the defense would just double Jefferson (or Amare) in the post and dare Smoove to take open jumpers. Honestly, you would be better off trading Smoove or Horford for Jefferson (or Amare) and keeping JJ.

I would prefer to see us keep the team together going forward. I think Teague has a chance to be a player at PG. Sure I'd look to upgrade the backup Center position but Zaza is fine until something better comes along.

Put Gortat on this team and the Hawks would be really tough. He hardly plays in Orlando, only 13 minutes per game.

I wouldn't mind Diop either. he hardly plays since they have Chandler and Nazr.

I am not much into trade speculation but it would definitely be worth looking into getting those guys since they aren't getting much time. Maybe Zaza and filler/pick would work.

You make it sound so easy. What player(s) do you suggest we trade JJ for to fix our PG/C situation? In addition, if you trade JJ, you create a SG situation as well. Crawford is an incredible scorer but he would be a HUGE liability as our starting SG because he can't defend the better SGs in the NBA for long periods. Crawford is a PERFECT 6th man but he is NOT the long term answer as our starting SG in my opinion.

I think we need to focus on resigning JJ and developing Teague. Sund should keep his eyes open for a big man but he shouldn't trade JJ to get him. Trading JJ for a big man would be worse than the Suns trading Marion for Shaq. It would change the entire complexion of our team.

In addition, trading JJ for a big man likely means that Horford of Smoove goes to the bench. Surely you wouldn't trade JJ for a big who comes off the bench?

Say you trade JJ for Al Jefferson or Amare. l guess you could start Smoove at the 3 but with Jefferson (or Amare), Horford and Smoove up front, the defense would just double Jefferson (or Amare) in the post and dare Smoove to take open jumpers. Honestly, you would be better off trading Smoove or Horford for Jefferson (or Amare) and keeping JJ.

I would prefer to see us keep the team together going forward. I think Teague has a chance to be a player at PG. Sure I'd look to upgrade the backup Center position but Zaza is fine until something better comes along.

i find it real hard to beleive we cant find anything better than zaza.

Put Gortat on this team and the Hawks would be really tough. He hardly plays in Orlando, only 13 minutes per game.

I wouldn't mind Diop either. he hardly plays since they have Chandler and Nazr.

I am not much into trade speculation but it would definitely be worth looking into getting those guys since they aren't getting much time. Maybe Zaza and filler/pick would work.

I'd take old man Dampier too....Though that is a fix for next year. He is over paid but the last year on his deal is nonguaranteed. Both he and Heywood will be FAs this year. Heywood will be too pricey since we will be over the cap but Dampier may come to winner for the MLE. He should recognize the inevitable decline in Dallas with Kidd, Terry, Marion, and Dirk getting older. That is what Sund should be pitching to him. I bet the Cavs will be targeting him too for the MLE if they can resign Lebron.

We can get by without a real big in the regular season. Its in the playoffs where we need them. Collins is quite useful vs., Shaq but is too slow to see the floor vs. Howard.

As the Hawks are currently constructed we just have to hope for the Celtics in round 2 and for the Cavs to knock out the Magic in round two.

Edited by coachx