• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford blames Hawks Guards

Vesper

• Premium Member

No. You're correct.

After 5 years of the same thing, it's not going to change the offensive philosophy. Which is partly why Horf made this comment...in other words, he's saying "the only way we're going to change to make it better, is doing it ourselves" he's putting the guards on the spot, because those are the guys that need a different mind-set. If Woody isn't going to change anything, or tell them, Al can. He surely isn't going to throw Woody under the bus - head coach, been there awile - you don't do that even if the coach needs to make improvements....he put it on the players. It's balsy, but I think it's his leadership starting to evolve. Even if it's the media...but nowadays, everything is the media. Doesn't matter.

Changing the team's strategy in tactics is not up to the players. And if you are leaving it up to the players, you're screwed.

Seriously this crap needs to get ironed out before the playoffs start or the Hawks could easily get taken out in the first round.

We already know Woody is either part of the problem or incapable of correcting it.

I think that pretty much hits the nail on the head. Add-in the fact that the ASG has left Woody as a "lame-duck" without a contract next year. I really have no idea what Woody is trying to do, but I seriously doubt he is preaching against moving the ball in the 4th quarter.

My guess is that he's just doing the best he can to get every win he can the only way he knows how.

Edited by DJlaysitup

As far as Horford's quote goes, I think he did let a little bit of reality slip through there. He quickly also backed it up with a disclaimer and didn't single any particular player out.

Horford knows he has to be a "company man"...heck, that's what got him on the all-star team. Horford is what the NBA wants as the future. No tats, plays hard, solid citizen. Still, Al has to know that he isn't in the best of places for his talent. I would imagine (just a guess) that Al was really hoping we could get big Z, which would likely put him into the PF role where he could be more dominant and have a better future.

Almost everbody (outside of the Hawks organization) says Al is playing out of position. While playing out of position it has to be more difficult for him to hone his skills. If anybody deserves to be frustrated it's Al Horford. Add to that, he was on a very good team in college (with a better coach) and got used to winning.

I never agree with anyone calling out teammates to the media, but Horford is right. Like someone else said, I hope he's actually saying this to the team and not just venting to the media.

But as long as Woodson is coaching the team we're never going to see the offense we want to see.