• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson Will Play Through Thumb Injury

GameTime

Hawks star Joe Johnson knows that he's going to have to play through an injured thumb on his shooting hand.

"It takes a little while for [the feeling] to come back," he said. "Other than that, I've been good. I am just trying to pick my spots out there and get guys involved."

Johnson got hit on the thumb again in Game 1 against Milwaukee on Saturday.

He originally injured it when he tangled with Lakers forward Ron Artest on March 31.

"I am just going to rest it after the season," Johnson said. "That is the only way it is going to get better. I've just got to keep icing it and treating it."

Read more: http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-eager-to-exploit-472354.html

Edited by GameTime

Hawks star Joe Johnson knows that he's going to have to play through an injured thumb on his shooting hand.

"It takes a little while for [the feeling] to come back," he said. "Other than that, I've been good. I am just trying to pick my spots out there and get guys involved."

Johnson got hit on the thumb again in Game 1 against Milwaukee on Saturday.

He originally injured it when he tangled with Lakers forward Ron Artest on March 31.

"I am just going to rest it after the season," Johnson said. "That is the only way it is going to get better. I've just got to keep icing it and treating it."

Read more: http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-hawks/hawks-eager-to-exploit-472354.html

Sounds like a pre-excuse to me.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure we'd still win this series if we rested Joe.

Depends on how you define "rest." We allowed the Bucks to make a late surge and nearly come back on us last game with JJ playing very well. I do hope Woodson doesn't run JJ into the ground by playing him 40 minutes--especially against the Bucks--but we will see. Unfortunately, whether he plays 30 minutes or 40 minutes, as long as he is running around playing defense and shooting the ball, that thumb will get aggravated.

Having had too many sprains on my fingers/hands to remember, i can say for sure there is no way it will get better until the offseason. Sprains don't heal that fast especially when you keep playing. He just needs to get a painkiller before the games.

• Premium Member

Having had too many sprains on my fingers/hands to remember, i can say for sure there is no way it will get better until the offseason. Sprains don't heal that fast especially when you keep playing. He just needs to get a painkiller before the games.

Bibby had a similar injury to his thumb a couple years ago, as I recall. You're right that rest is the only thing that'll heal it. The good news about it is that it's not the kind of thing which can become a long-term issue if he tries to play through it, unlike a lot of joint injuries.