• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Any Player Defenses of Woody Out There?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

I haven't really been looking for them, but I'd imagine in the past few days, there would be reporter queries and player responses in the area of "Do you want your head coach to return next season?"

Have you seen any such endorsements from the Hawks players?

I'm not as interested in any platitudes that were uttered prior to the Hawks' ill-fated voyage into the playoffs... moreso any comments on Woody's status that players may have provided once the team was dispatched by the Magic.

Since many of us are leaning toward the "conditional" return of Joe Johnson, I wonder aloud whether this "condition" really exists in Joe's mind when evaluating whether to return. Has HE expressed a desire to have Woody back? Does he have preferential choices if Woody isn't back? How great (or small, relative to $$$$) of a factor is the Hawks' coaching choice in Joe's decision making?

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Sounds like the answer is "no" thus far. The absence of evidence is the evidence of absence in Woody's case?

Does anyone find it intriguing that a 6-year coach, whose job status is on the line in the aftermath of the season, doesn't have a single public endorsement or kind word from one of his players? Or am I just making something out of nothing here?

~lw3

• Premium Member

Sounds like the answer is "no" thus far. The absence of evidence is the evidence of absence in Woody's case?

Does anyone find it intriguing that a 6-year coach, whose job status is on the line in the aftermath of the season, doesn't have a single public endorsement or kind word from one of his players? Or am I just making something out of nothing here?

~lw3

Are you aware of prior cases where players did endorse a coach whose contract had expired? I'm seriously asking because I don't know one way or the other.

If I'm not mistaken, Woody just finished his second contract. I seem to recall JJ endorsing him when his

first contract was extended for two years.

I could be wrong, as I was once before, or so my wife says.

:conversation:

• Moderators

Are you aware of prior cases where players did endorse a coach whose contract had expired? I'm seriously asking because I don't know one way or the other.

First example I could dig up:

"My development here the last three years was because of [Eddie Jordan]," Arenas said yesterday. "He was there for me when teams were scared to take a chance. We both came in together. We made it to the playoffs two times straight. Why wouldn't he get an extension?"

-Gilbert Arenas

5/9/06 WashPo link

"Wizards Coach Jordan Signs Contract Extension," 7/15/06 USATODAY link

~lw3

• Moderators
(Sam) Mitchell's contract expires after the season and there have been a number of teams, including Indiana and Charlotte, that are reported to be interested, although Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo also has let it be known that he wants Mitchell back. It likely will come down to dollar numbers.

Bosh, however, is prepared to let Raptors management know, at the end of the playoffs, that he would like to see Mitchell stay as the coach.

"I would love to see him back, but you know how the NBA is. It's a business first and you always have to make a decision that's best for you," Bosh said.

4/24/07 Canoe.ca link

"Raptors Award Mitchell with New Contract," 5/21/07 NBA.com link

~lw3

4/24/07 Canoe.ca link

"Raptors Award Mitchell with New Contract," 5/21/07 NBA.com link

~lw3

Isn't that what players always say?

How often do you hear a player say ""no, I don't want the coach back, we need another coach to take over.

Everyone just says the right thing , because it only makes them look bad, if they say anything different.

• Moderators

Isn't that what players always say?

How often do you hear a player say ""no, I don't want the coach back, we need another coach to take over.

Everyone just says the right thing , because it only makes them look bad, if they say anything different.

That's exactly the original point. How does the saying go, "If you don't have anything nice to say..."? NO ONE on the Hawks roster is saying ANYTHING at all, which I would find troublesome if I were Woody and: (a) seeking to get my contract renewed, or (b) bidding for a head coach job elsewhere.

~lw3

All the time.

Noah of the Bulls was speaking glowingly of Del Negro before he was fired.

The Hawks players spoke up for Woody when his contract ran out 2 years ago.

I do not recall every circumstance but it does happen quite often.

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

All the time.

Noah of the Bulls was speaking glowingly of Del Negro before he was fired.

The Hawks players spoke up for Woody when his contract ran out 2 years ago.

I do not recall every circumstance but it does happen quite often.

Del Negro's contract wasn't up - he had another year left. I just don't remember that many cases where coaches become "free agents." Unlike players, they usually are extended or fired before their contracts are up.

The thing two years ago - I can't dispute that because I honestly don't remember. Do you have any links?

Edited by niremetal

• Moderators

Del Negro's contract wasn't up - he had another year left. I just don't remember that many cases where coaches become "free agents." Unlike players, they usually are extended or fired before their contracts are up.

The case Rick Sund will remember vividly was being the GM when management convinced "Mr. Sonic" Nate McMillan to play the 2004-05 season out before renegotiating his contract. They similarly had a $14 million free agent-to-be (Ray Allen), a finally-maturing young star (Rashard Lewis) and wound up winning over 50 games (hopefully that's where the similarities end... it was Seattle's last time experiencing the playoffs), plus the first "Northwest Division" title in what was seen as a "surprise" season around the league. The obvious difference with Woody being the Sonics and their fans really wanted their coach to stay.

After getting dispatched by the Spurs in the semis, there were a lot of statements from players about "we all really like each other," and "keeping everyone together," although I'm pressed to find an individual endorsement of Nate from Ray or other Sonics.

Sund's GM contract got renewed that June. Ray would re-sign in July, but it was another Allen's money (Paul's) that drew McMillan out of Seattle to helm another rebuilding job in Portland.

~lw3