• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sund speaks on 790AM

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

Says that he regrets firing Woody and that he would consider bringing Woody back if he does not find a capable replacement.

j/k

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Rick Sund says Joe Johnson can lead this team to a championship. Drew parallels to Billups and Nash, two guys who develop a top dog mentality later in their career.

Wow. I have no words.

I take it you don't agree with Sund. You do know he's trying to make nice because he knows the Hawks don't have $$$ to sign a comparable talent. We fan's can b*tch an moan forever but it all comes down to the Hawks not having the financial wherewithal to compete with the top-tier teams.

• Premium Member

I take it you don't agree with Sund. You do know he's trying to make nice because he knows the Hawks don't have $$ to sign a comparable talent. We fan's can b*tch an moan forever but it all comes down to the Hawks not having the financial wherewithal to compete with the top-tier teams.

He committed $42M to a marginal starter/solid bench player in Marvin. He matched a $58M offer to Smith. He paid an aging PG $19M. He gave the backup center, what, $18M? He's gonna offer Joe something in the $90M range. He traded for Crawford, paying him over $10M this coming season.

Woodson gets to use the luxury tax excuse, Sund does not.

He would not name specific coaches that they have talked to or are wanting to talk with, but he said that he has a "Long list" and a short list of possible candidates. Then he goes on to say he has a section on that list for coaches who have had past head coaching experience, assistant coaches who are looking to get their 1st head coaching postion and some college coaches as well. My take on that is that most of the guys the media has speculated about the hawks being interested in (Casey, Corbin, Marjele, Mitchell ) are on his list of possible candidates for the HC positon. Also the part about whether they are willing to spend alot of money on a "well Known" headcoach". Sund stated that while they may not have the money to hypothetically go after a Phil Jackson, money would still not be an issue for finding a HC. My take on that is While the Hawks will not spend alot of money I think they will offer a little more than the 2million over 3years offer that some journalist was saying the other week. Maybe 5 or 6 million over 3years. That's just my take on it.

Edited by Blunt91

• Premium Member

He committed $42M to a marginal starter/solid bench player in Marvin. He matched a $58M offer to Smith. He paid an aging PG $19M. He gave the backup center, what, $18M? He's gonna offer Joe something in the $90M range. He traded for Crawford, paying him over $10M this coming season.

Woodson gets to use the luxury tax excuse, Sund does not.

It was $37.5M with incentives up to $40M for Marvin. $18M over 4 years is a bargain for a good backup center. In any case, this team either needs to re-sign JJ and trade for a second big-time scorer or else blow itself up and rebuild. But there's no practicable way to contend in the next 5-6 years if we let JJ go.

The Hawks have to do what all non-BOS/LAL/NYK teams do - catch a break in the playoffs and get to the conference finals, and then use the extra ticket and TV revenues to spend in the luxury tax. That's far from impossible to do while keeping JJ, even at the max.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member
In any case, this team either needs to re-sign JJ and trade for a second big-time scorer or else blow itself up and rebuild.

I agree with this, except to say that "blow itself up and rebuild" isn't as drastic this time as it was last time. You can keep Horford long-term and Smith would be movable if it came to that.

It seems to me that the Hawks have been plagued by guys in management that haven't wanted to make the risky move when the time called for it. Listening to Sund, the implication is that he'd rather have a mediocre playoff team than do either of the choices you suggested.

This is definitely a crossroads offseason.

Edited by mrhonline

• Premium Member

I agree with this, except to say that "blow itself up and rebuild" isn't as drastic this time as it was last time. You can keep Horford long-term and Smith would be movable if it came to that.

It seems to me that the Hawks have been plagued by guys in management that haven't wanted to make the risky move when the time called for it. Listening to Sund, the implication is that he'd rather have a mediocre playoff team than do either of the choices you suggested.

"a wise man knows his limitations"

-some guy

• Premium Member

It's not as drastic, perhaps. It does mean at least a couple years in the lottery before relevance, and then a few more after that before contention. And that's probably the best case scenario, unless we stumble into drafting the reincarnation of Magic or Michael. But I still prefer that to kidding ourselves into thinking that a core of Crawford/Smoove/Horford would give us a shot at anything more than the 8th seed.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member
That's far from impossible to do while keeping JJ, even at the max.

I'd say it's extremely unlikely, unless you trade one of Smith/Horford or the rookie the Hawks draft is a HUGE sleeper.

Regardless, it's probably not a good sign for a business if they base their decisions on "catching a break."

• Premium Member

It's not as drastic, perhaps.

I think that's a perfect way to describe it. I need to remember that Sund wants to keep collecting paychecks as long as possible, too.

Taking a step back in hopes of a step forward a year or two down the road is definitely a career-threatening decision. In that regard, we should give Billy Knight some credit.

What I don't want to see the Hawks become is Philadelphia. The Sixers' owners/management are perpetually overrated their core, thinking they're just "one or two steps away from winning it all."

Edited by mrhonline

• Premium Member

firing Woody was the Hawks FO saying "we care" to the fans. That's what lower level (money wise) teams do in all sports. Teams like the Lakers show the fans they care by paying a coach $10M and signing a Ron Artest. You are what you are and right now the Hawks are a team that can only put lipstick on a pig.

I'd say it's extremely unlikely, unless you trade one of Smith/Horford or the rookie the Hawks draft is a HUGE sleeper.

Regardless, it's probably not a good sign for a business if they base their decisions on "catching a break."

Josh Smith / Marvin Williams for Chris Bosh. If only Rick Sund had the cajones. We can only hope that LeBron stays in Cleveland minimizing the lure of going to Chicago, NY or New Jersey for Bosh. Bynum has injury concerns so a S-and-T with the Lakers is less likely. I think we offer Toronto about as good of talent as they can expect to receive.

• Premium Member

Again, when you're not BOS/LAL/NYK, that's what you have to hope for.

It's not as drastic, perhaps. It does mean at least a couple years in the lottery before relevance, and then a few more after that before contention. And that's probably the best case scenario, unless we stumble into drafting the reincarnation of Magic or Michael. But I still prefer that to kidding ourselves into thinking that a core of Crawford/Smoove/Horford would give us a shot at anything more than the 8th seed.

Well thats where the problem lies if you think that Josh and Al cant carry this team without JJ then we should trade them because JJ is gonna even if he returns gives us a two-three year window .

We cant have it both ways .

Al and Smoove are untouchable to some even after years in the league we wouldnt make the 8th seed without JJ well then we should be looking to package Al and Smoove for a superstar then and stop kidding ourselves then .

Either these guys are the core and future of our team with or without JJ or we should be looking to upgrade .

It would be insane to pay JJ 90 million for a thrilling first rd and second rd beat down .

• Like 1

Well thats where the problem lies if you think that Josh and Al cant carry this team without JJ then we should trade them because JJ is gonna even if he returns gives us a two-three year window .

Al and Smoove are untouchable to some even after years in the league we wouldnt make the 8th seed without JJ well then we should be looking to package Al and Smoove for a superstar then and stop kidding ourselves then .

Either these guys are the core and future of our team with or without JJ or we should be looking to upgrade .

It would be insane to pay JJ 90 million for a thrilling first rd and second rd beat down .

This. Josh Smith / Marvin for Chris Bosh.

• Premium Member

Smoove untouchable? he can't shoot! Name me 1 big time PF in NBA history that has Josh's limitations on the offensive end.

Edited by NineOhTheRino