• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sund speaks on 790AM

NineOhTheRino

There's one HUGE difference between Pierce and Johnson - ability to get to the FT line. That may not seem like much, but it's essentially the difference between a 2nd option and a 1st option in the NBA.

(Plus, it helps to be surrounded by the Hall-of-Famers and an amazingly quick PG. If the Hawks can do that for JJ, I'm all for keeping him).

Getting to the line is my biggest gripe against JJ; especially with the game on the line. On the plus side he has never suffered a major injury and barring one, should be able to play at a high level for a similar number of years.

I take it you don't agree with Sund. You do know he's trying to make nice because he knows the Hawks don't have $$$ to sign a comparable talent. We fan's can b*tch an moan forever but it all comes down to the Hawks not having the financial wherewithal to compete with the top-tier teams.

Get a clue dude.

It has NOTHING to so with "financial wherwithal."

NBA teams cannot go over the salary cap to sign other teams free agents. Teams can only go over the cap to keep their own free agents. The newbies get a free pass but you have been around the block a time or two.

Wake up to reality !

Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

Get a clue dude.

It has NOTHING to so with "financial wherwithal."

NBA teams cannot go over the salary cap to sign other teams free agents. Teams can only go over the cap to keep their own free agents. The newbies get a free pass but you have been around the block a time or two.

Wake up to reality !

Either you're replying to the wrong guy or you're missing something. At what point did I mention going over the salary cap to sign other teams free agents? Compare the Hawks payroll against the teams left in the playoffs and get back at me sir. Have at it. We 'newbies' need some edu-ma-cation.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Concerning JJ's minutes, he averaged 38 mins. per game this season, down from 39.5 the previous season. Looking around at basketballreference.com, the cream of the crop, top dog players tend to average 37-38 minutes per. It seems to me it was less about minutes played, and more about the energy expended running Iso-Joe.

Edited by GST

Rick Sund says Joe Johnson can lead this team to a championship. Drew parallels to Billups and Nash, two guys who develop a top dog mentality later in their career.

Wow. I have no words.

He's right, Joe can lead a team to a title, but the team has to have few flaws and none being critical.

Sund trading Smoove for a center would let me know he's serious about being a contender.

What center is out there? Smith can net us a lot but... I will create my thread tomorrow, I will talk about it there.

He cant shoot and he plays defense great when he feels like it.

He plays great defense when he doesn't have to leave the lane. Think Garnett.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

What "proven coach" is out there that has shown he can take a team past the second round? I only see Avery Johnson and Byron Scott, and they did NOT impress me as coaches in the playoffs. Not to mention that neither of them were exactly offensive gurus as coaches, and that was our biggest area of coaching weakness.

How many coaches actually do impress in the playoffs? Only a handful of coaches have won championships since the 1990. Most coaches have losing records in the playoffs, its because the playoffs end up being a negative sum game for all except for the winner (in general).

• Premium Member

How many coaches actually do impress in the playoffs? Only a handful of coaches have won championships since the 1990. Most coaches have losing records in the playoffs, its because the playoffs end up being a negative sum game for all except for the winner (in general).

good point. I think there has only been about 7 different NBA champs in the last 25 years.

There's one HUGE difference between Pierce and Johnson - ability to get to the FT line. That may not seem like much, but it's essentially the difference between a 2nd option and a 1st option in the NBA.

(Plus, it helps to be surrounded by the Hall-of-Famers and an amazingly quick PG. If the Hawks can do that for JJ, I'm all for keeping him).

This.

Put Pierce back on his old Celtics and, well we know the rest of the story. Bring in a KG a Ray and one of the top 3 pgs in the league around JJ and I'm sure his team will perform a little better. Take Pierce and put him on this Atlanta team and we don't sniff 50 wins.

Wow Sund told Woody to play Teague the small minutes he even played. Did not know that. Sund is saying keeping the MLE. So what is gonna be done this offseason?

With the MLE, Sund is referring to whether or not we would renounce it. If we renounce the MLE, we could possibly gain cap space depending on all of our capholds. Sund is essentially saying "nah, don't renounce it because we won't gain enough cap space to have it make sense."

Keeping the MLE doesn't imply Sund doesn't think he will use it during the offseason, he just doesn't want to renounce it.

• Moderators

Concerning JJ's minutes, he averaged 38 mins. per game this season, down from 39.5 the previous season. Looking around at basketballreference.com, the cream of the crop, top dog players tend to average 37-38 minutes per. It seems to me it was less about minutes played, and more about the energy expended running Iso-Joe.

And energy expended chasing the opposing team's PG.