• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Diesel Speaks...

Diesel

• Premium Member

Teague, JJ, Chill, Horf, Bosh...

Good Lord...that starting lineup is BEASTLY.

Marv/Smoove for Bosh...

Marv/Smoove for Bosh...hmmmm....

Y'know, the truth is going to come out one way or another. We're going to find out what the ceiling is with this core. My gut feeling is that we've already seen it or we're really close to it. Something dynamic has to change between our current starting 5. Assuming we keep JJ, it really comes down to Marvin, Smoove, and Horf. Marv is the easiest to single out - guy brings nothing. But all the same, he's not going to net us anything in return either. So, if we're sure of who he is...then it comes down to either Horf or Smoove being packaged with him and getting back Bosh to go along with JJ is not a downgrade.

That being said, if we miss out on Bosh. I think a small move that would make a HUGE difference for us is bringing back Chill (and JJ of course). It's not about him being an all-star or savior. It's about moving Marvin out of the starting lineup and inserting another guy that can get his own shot and is MUCH more active on the court. A new coach may also be able to get the most out of Marvin which a) gives us a weapon to pair with Craw off the bench and b) increases his trade value.

Are you reading Rick Sund!?!?! lol

Edited by Wretch
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

Wretch,

I think that point right there is postworthy on it's on... What is Smoove's ceiling?

The problem with all of our players is that we have only seen them with one coach calling the shots. About Smoove specifically though, his immaturity put me in the mind of Rasheed Wallace in a way. IN his prime, Wallace was one of the best players in the league....by skillset. He had post up game that was very good and an outside shot that was very good. He could defend. His problem was that he was too immature. He would pick up technicals. He would kill his team because he would argue with refs. I can see Smoove making an effort to do better on bonehead threes, but the real problem goes back to those times when he's jaw jacking with refs. Even right now, we're trying to come up with a coach who can help Smoove mature. That shouldn't be in the coaches duties,... but it is. Marvin/Smoove for Bosh is a deal that I doubt Toronto would turn down. It gives us a legit post scorer and midrange scorer...and allstar talent. I believe Smoove will still get better and being traded might be a bitter taste in his mouth, but the Hawks have to send the message that we are about winning... at all cost. So drop Marvin and Smoove and get an allstar. Is the first step out of potentialland.

Then resign Joe and hopefully you have hired Byron Scott.

I'm going to take four of the coaches on this list and compare them based on their numbers alone in pace of offense, offensive effeciency, and defensive efficiency. Overall, I think the stats are flawed because player differences between teams can make these different. While they are flawed, I think they probably give a little bit of insight into the style you can expect from each coach.

First up is Avery Johnson. In Dallas, he was the head coach for 3 full seasons. The rankings in each category for each of those three seasons: PACE = #26, #26, and #26; OFF EFF = #3, #2, and #8; DEF EFF = #12, #6, and #15.

These numbers suggest that Avery has an ability to get the most out of an offense, but it also suggests that he's very much a slow the pace style of coach. Defensively, he's middle of the pack, but he's probably in the upper part of that middle.

Next up is Dwane Casey, who got only one full season in Minnesota. The rankings in each category for Dwane's one season: PACE = #21; OFF EFF = 326; DEF EFF = #11. I don't think you can make much of his one season.

Next up is Sam Mitchell. Sam got four seasons in Toronto. The rankings in each category for Sam are: PACE = #13, #17, #15, and #25; OFF EFF = #6, #4, #6, and #6; DEF EFF = #23, #28, #13, and #13. Overall, Sam appears to be a middle of the pack pace coach that gets a lot out of offense. Defensively, his teams improved to where he was middle of the pack.

Next up is Byron Scott. Byron is the most experienced coach of the group. I don't have his numbers going all the way to his first season in New Jersey, and his numbers are incomplete overall because I cannot find PACE and DEF EFF for each season. What was found is this: PACE = #1, #14, #25, #26, and #28; OFF EFF = #18, #22, #30, #21, #19, #2, and #12; DEF EFF = #1, #4, #19, #8, and #9. Overall, Byron actually appears to be an upper tier defensive coach who has coached fast teams and slow teams. His offensive efficience ratings are all over the board, with his best coming in Chris Paul's MVP candidate year.