• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Its time to move Al Horford

D.R.P.

Its time to move Horford to power forward as the starter. The reasoning is not based on his defense while playing center, but based off of his effect offensively playing power forward. During the Orlando series the only time the Hawks were effective was during Game 2 when Al was playing the 4 and the team were feeding him the ball offensively. Al's offensive skills are way more valuable at power forward. Horford has the ability to overpower and therefore draw a double team while playing power forward; something Josh can't do.

The truth about Josh Smith is that he still has a limited offensive skill set in the post. Josh tries to use one move in the post 90 percent of the time (you know where he tries to drive or spin left and use the up and under move). Against good teams in the playoffs, that move is not effective because those teams have time to scout Josh and are generally better defensive teams anyway. Therefore, the only way Josh is effective against those teams on offense is when the Hawks can get out on the break. However its hard to get the fast break going when your playing better teams.

Defensively Al is the best player on the team at guarding players off the dribble (remember last season when Chris Paul tried to take Al off the dribble late during a close game and Horford blocked his shot, to seal a Hawks win). Also, it's been posted that Al, statistically was the best center at defending in the post. In other words, since Al is the best on the team at moving his feet defensively and is a solid post defender; than it won't be a problem for him to defend power forwards full time.

Consequently Josh's biggest weakness on defense is guarding off of the dribble (by the way I think the Hawks are mostly terrible at guarding off the dribble). The main thing Josh Smith brings defensively is (weakside help) block shots and inconsistent rebounding; those things are mostly replaceable. Josh's lack of shooting range/consistency and weak defense off the dribble makes him a terrible candidate to move to small forward. Therefore to really take advantage of Horford's improving offensive skillset the Hawks should trade Josh Smith for a top 3 pick in this year's draft (See: G-State trade post) .

If Pick 1 by some miracle then the Hawks get John Wall; no explanation needed. Re-sign Joe. With this the Hawks trade Marvin to Memphis for Hasheem Thabeet. All the Hawks have to do is point out to Memphis (a franchise struggling financially) would they rather have Marvin scoring 15ppg and 5rp at 7.5 million or would the Grizzles rather have Rudy Gay at twice the price. By the way I truly feel Marv could put up those number on a team with two solid low post players. To those who think the Grizzles wouldn't trade Thabeet, let me ask you this. Really is there any reasonable chance of Thabeet starting over an all-star caliber center in Marc Gasol? Next the Hawks re-up Josh Childress and insert him as starting SF.

If its pick 2 then the Hawks take Evan Turner. He would effectively replace Joe Johnson long-term, heck even if Joe returns then the Hawks would have a solid pair of wings. See: Grizzles trade

If its pick 3 then you take Cousins (yeah he's a little crazy but I think he'll be alright if Al takes him under his wings). Cousins would be an excellent fit to oppose Howard on both ends of the floor. He is a taller version of Kendrick Perkins defensively. On offensive he would have the ability to draw Howard out of the paint because he has the ability to hit the open jumpers.

Starting lineup with Pick 1

Thabeet

Horford

Childress

Johnson

Wall

Bench:

Crawford

(Free agent signed) Craig Smith

Zaza

Teague

Bibby

Starting lineup with pick 2

Thabeet

Horford

Johnson

Turner

Teague

Bench:

Crawford

Zaza

Bibby

Starting lineup with pick 3 or 4

Cousins

Horford

Williams

Johnson

Teague

Bench:

Crawford

Zaza

Bibby

Edited by D.R.P.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

We have 3 power forwards on the roster - Horford, Josh Smith, and Marvin Williams. Horford is the best of the 3 and can play center. There are very few "true" centers in this league and the one's being mentioned I have no interest in. Josh Smith has played some great games, he has played a lot of bad games. Marvin Williams is playing out of position - notice when Josh is out and Marvin gets the ball in the post he is averaging a double-double.

Maybe the new coach will make some since of this since Billy Knight wanted all 6-9 players it has put us in a tough position. We need a good solid defensive player in the 5 hole as a backup. ZaZa is a joke and should not be retained. I would take Kurt Thomas over him in a heartbeat.

All this being said that ugly head of being cheap rises again with the ownership....................................................

Thought I'd add a thought;

Smoove for Biendrins and Azubuike or Nene or a T.Chandler/Felton package looks like this:

Biendrins / Zaza

Horf / MW

Chil / Azuibuike

JJ / Crawf

Teague / Bibby

or replace Beans and Buike for Chandler and Felton

Chandler / Zaza

Horf / MW

Chil /

JJ / Crawf

Felton / Teague / Bibby

The Hawks did not start playing winning basketball nor participate in the playoffs until Mr. Horford arrived on the scene.

Mere coincidence? I think not, he is the heart and soul of this team and is the team's most important player, and that includes

Mr. JJ. The great teams never let go of these kind of players. He has the will to win.

In response, I propose the following:

Trade Bibby for Deron Williams

Trade Marvin for Kobe

Trade Smoove for Durant

Trade Al for Dwight

Trade Crawford for Lebron

Starting 5

Williams

Kobe

Durant

Lebron

Dwight

No I dont want Lebron, the rest is all good though.

The Hawks did not start playing winning basketball nor participate in the playoffs until Mr. Horford arrived on the scene.

Mere coincidence? I think not, he is the heart and soul of this team and is the team's most important player, and that includes

Mr. JJ. The great teams never let go of these kind of players. He has the will to win.

thank you! Nice to know not everyone around here has lost their minds.