• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Next Year's 6th Man Winner: Josh Smith?

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

Halloween Night 2010... the smoke machine is pumping, the crowd is on their feet, the drumline has riled them up, and with the Jay-Z music blaring, Josh Smith listens as Ryan Cameron introduces the starters for your Atlantaaaaa Hawks...

"At Guard, Some Defensive Ball-Movement Dude We Traded Marvin For!"

"At Forward, from Greece, by way of Stanford, Josh Childress!"

"At Center, This 6'11" Cat We Got with the MLE!"

"At Forward, from Florida, Al 'BOSS' Horford!"

"And At Guard, from Arkansas, J-J-J-J-J-J-J-Joe Johnson!"

Does Josh wake up from this vision in cold sweat? Not hearing his own name during intros may not be the worst prospect for him.

Getting Crawford-level minutes would allow Smoove to continue bringing Highlights to the Factory, allows him to feast upon opposing second-tier PFs, boosts the talent (with Bibby, Teague, Crawford, some vet-minimum SF, and Zaza) among the reserves, and allows Horford to shine at PF while shifting to C to bring in Smoove whenever the matchups work.

Aside from a handful of local yokels, fans won't terribly mind two $10+ million Microwaves coming off the bench so long as they perform like the 6th Man candidates they should be, and so long as the newcomers prove their mettle alongside Joe and Al. #5 Jerseys will continue to sell like hotcakes.

But pursuing things like 6'11" Cats with the MLE this summer would hinge upon whether Smoove can handle hearing his cheers midway through the first quarter. Do you think it's possible?

~lw3

You may have a point lw3...but my guess is "starting at forward (SF) Josh Smith".

Oh I know - I know - I know...Smith doesn't have the skillset to play SF (neither did Rodman). JS has proven that he can resist the 3-point temptations and with him at the 3, Horford at the 4, and a reasonable center we are tough as nails inside. Besides, Marvin can't hit a bull in the arse with a bass fiddle from the outside (or inside) anyways. What's the loss? This is the year when the Hawks need to cut all remaining ties to the old "BK dream" and next year put a solid, balanced, well coached team on the floor.

Does doing that make us NBA Champions? Probably not - only one team gets to do that each year. Does it make us (better) contenders? Yes.

Boston has showed me something so far. Kendrick Perkins, "Big Baby" Davis (and he IS big), and worn out old Rasheed are spanking Superman so far.

(of course - even though I can't stand the guy - Pierce really helps)

I find it hard to imagine there is a 6'11" dude the team could sign for the MLE that would be half as good as Smoove. So in reality, I don't see how that free agent ends up starting.

He would be 6'11" instead of 6'8"...and Smoove will still be out there sucking at on-ball defense but OWNING the paint. I'll take the "OWNING" part happily.

Never happen. The new coach would have to have balls the size of the basketball to do this and the stink that Smoove would make would undermine everything else.

I'm hoping that being exposed to a new coach . . . . Woody is the only one he's had . . . . . will help him wake up MORE.

• Moderators

I find it hard to imagine there is a 6'11" dude the team could sign for the MLE that would be half as good as Smoove. So in reality, I don't see how that free agent ends up starting.

Indeed, it is hard to imagine because there isn't any obvious target out there for $5.5-6 million.

Excuse the pun, but how about freeing Darko Milicic? He made $7.5 mill last year and knows his salary offers will be going down, despite his contract-year resurgence in Minnesota. Jermaine O'Neal (last year, $23.0 million!!!) will be happy for any takers, but he looks to be about done. Brad Miller and Channing Frye don't seem to be the right complement to Horford at PF.

As GST noted, even if they do find one, the real hindrance would be ASG. One trip to Gearon would squash such a plan in its tracks.

~lw3

JS has proven that he can resist the 3-point temptations

No, he hasn't. He reverted as soon as the going got rough in the playoffs. Technically, a lot of his idiotic plays were long twos (which are, of course, worse than 3s.)

I don't place all the blame for this on him -- apparently our old "coach" let him get away with this. But it's still a black mark on Smith, jsmoovefan's squealing notwithstanding.

No, he hasn't. He reverted as soon as the going got rough in the playoffs. Technically, a lot of his idiotic plays were long twos (which are, of course, worse than 3s.)

I don't place all the blame for this on him -- apparently our old "coach" let him get away with this. But it's still a black mark on Smith, jsmoovefan's squealing notwithstanding.

I agree that Josh Smith fell off the wagon in the playoffs. His pouting about calls and getting poked in the eye was the worst. He should be (and hopefully is) ashamed of himself.

That said...Josh Smith has improved his game every year due to work. The kid could do nothing but dunk when he came into the league. ex and I usta laugh (in posts) because the kid couldn't make a simple layup in an actual game. He would miss from 1 foot and then scamper down the court to block a shot and make up for it.

He has worked diligently to improve his game.

I don't think Smoove is all he will be yet (at least I hope). If his new contract has turned him into a prima-donna lazy arse, then I'm wrong.

I really think the guy can do some special things at the SF position. You put him on a front line that includes a real center and Horford at PF and lookout. We could easily go from a weak inside team (at least in the playoffs) to a dominating inside team. I realize we can't get the guy - but if you put a guy like Nene' at the center spot (and he stays healthy).............. Katie bar the door.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Moderators

I agree that Josh Smith fell off the wagon in the playoffs. His pouting about calls and getting poked in the eye was the worst. He should be (and hopefully is) ashamed of himself.

That said...Josh Smith has improved his game every year due to work. The kid could do nothing but dunk when he came into the league. ex and I usta laugh (in posts) because the kid couldn't make a simple layup in an actual game. He would miss from 1 foot and then scamper down the court to block a shot and make up for it.

He has worked diligently to improve his game.

I don't think Smoove is all he will be yet (at least I hope). If his new contract has turned him into a prima-donna lazy arse, then I'm wrong.

I really think the guy can do some special things at the SF position. You put him on a front line that includes a real center and Horford at PF and lookout. We could easily go from a weak inside team (at least in the playoffs) to a dominating inside team. I realize we can't get the guy - but if you put a guy like Nene' at the center spot (and he stays healthy).............. Katie bar the door.

I am with you until the part about Smoove being a special player at the SF position. I want him spending more time on both ends near the basket and less time on the perimeter.

feel good to know that you felt the need to mention me in a post, gosh I feel even more special than I already am. Thanks for the recognition. BTW I have no idea who you are anywayz...

Heck, I would trade Marvin to the Bobcats straight up for Tyrus Thomas. He is another athletic forward (like Smoove without the attitude) who can defend the 3,4,and 5. He also happens to be a great shot blocker. He helped Charlotte give D12 hell in their 1st round series. He is younger, cheaper, and has a ton of upset. I also wonder what it would take to get Sonny Weems fromt he Raptors here.

Marvin very talented, if he could play his true role, he would show his value.