• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are the Hawks even planning on talking to Lebron?!?

Uuus

I know we can't sign him outright, but it would be foolish for us to not contact the biggest free agent of the last decade at all. We have some good assets that can be traded and if LeBron can be convinced that he can win a championship here, can't we do a sign and trade for him? I don't know how the salaries would need to match up in order to make a trade w/ Cleveland (I think Diesel had one in another thread), but if you can trade for LeBron, you can still resign Joe, and have Horford here still (he's got a cheaper contract so Im thinking Smoove would have to be traded at least). You can then bring back Chillz and sign a service-able big man (i'm sure there would be people willing to sign for cheap if you have a chance at winning the championship). I know the owners would be spending a lot of money, but the Highlight factory would be sold out every game and we'd be on national tv a couple times every 2 weeks at the least. And most importantly, a team w/ Joe, LeBron, and Horford can win a championship.

Our front office should be putting together a plan to at least try to attract LeBron to the highlight factory. My question to the board is:

If you worked in the front office, what would you do to try to get LeBron to come to Atlanta?

• Like 2

I know we can't sign him outright, but it would be foolish for us to not contact the biggest free agent of the last decade at all. We have some good assets that can be traded and if LeBron can be convinced that he can win a championship here, can't we do a sign and trade for him? I don't know how the salaries would need to match up in order to make a trade w/ Cleveland (I think Diesel had one in another thread), but if you can trade for LeBron, you can still resign Joe, and have Horford here still (he's got a cheaper contract so Im thinking Smoove would have to be traded at least). You can then bring back Chillz and sign a service-able big man (i'm sure there would be people willing to sign for cheap if you have a chance at winning the championship). I know the owners would be spending a lot of money, but the Highlight factory would be sold out every game and we'd be on national tv a couple times every 2 weeks at the least. And most importantly, a team w/ Joe, LeBron, and Horford can win a championship.

Our front office should be putting together a plan to at least try to attract LeBron to the highlight factory. My question to the board is:

If you worked in the front office, what would you do to try to get LeBron to come to Atlanta?

We have as good of a chance at Lebron as Dallas. But do we really have a shot, no.

We'd have to trade probably Smoove and someone else to get his max salary back. I don't think Lebron would want to come here which makes it a little moot.

Agreed but if we trade Crawford and Smith(15%) which wouldn't work cap wise since Atlanta(28 mil) Lebron (14-17 mil). Plus we will have to resign JJ and Horford next season. Luxury tax hell. The only way it would work if they trade Jamison and James for Marvin, Crawford, and Smith(15%). Atlanta(33 mil) Cleveland (28-30 mil)

Teague

JJ

Lebron

Jamison

Horford

Bron in Atlanta means it will be impossible to find a seat in Phillips. This could make the Hawks a lot of money even while losing money. This is an option, even if it's bleak.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Premium Member

Agreed but if we trade Crawford and Smith(15%) which wouldn't work cap wise since Atlanta(28 mil) Lebron (14-17 mil). Plus we will have to resign JJ and Horford next season. Luxury tax hell. The only way it would work if they trade Jamison and James for Marvin, Crawford, and Smith(15%). Atlanta(33 mil) Cleveland (28-30 mil)

Teague

JJ

Lebron

Jamison

Horford

Bron in Atlanta means it will be impossible to find a seat in Phillips. This could make the Hawks a lot of money even while losing money. This is an option, even if it's bleak.

Uhm, well what about Josh/Marvin future first for Bron.

Also, LT means nothing if you have Lebron and Joe and Horf.

Teague

JJ

Lebron

Jamison

Horford

We could also deal Jamison to Philadelphia for Dalembert. It matches up cap wise but Jamison is a much better player. Sam can play center and give us a shot blocker on defense. Add Gibson contract to the Bron SnT since you know they want you unload that contract.

Teague

JJ

Lebron

Horford

Sammy D.

6th man: D. Gibson

Cleveland can trade Hickson for Collison as well

Collison

Mo

Marvin

Smoove

Anderson V.

6th man: Crawford

That's a better deal for us but realistically it probably won't happen, either way, this is the best deal Cleveland will see in a SnT from any NBA team outside of the Lakers.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

• Admin

I would do that trade too but it just not going to happen.

I am sure we are going to talk to his agent as will every team but I have a feeling there are only a select few who is going to talk to.

First, what does the warning on my original post mean? I've been following this site for years but just started posting more frequently now.

Secondy, I don't care how remote the chances are. There has to be a plan in place to attempt to convince LeBron to come here. If this front office is serious about winning, this has to be done. And there's no point in thinking about how little the chances are...you just go for it. What does LeBron want? Hmm, well I would think that he wants to win and he wants to get paid. Those 2 things are at the top of his list and we can provide them both. But unfortunately, unlike the teams under the salary cap, it requires additional work in this case-you have to convince him that he can thrive in the ATL and make him want to come here. There's so many athletes that love living in Atlanta in the off-season so its definitely a great destination for the rich and famous. The marketing department needs to put together a plan to convey all this to Lebron. He would be loved like no athlete in the history of Atlanta, he would be getting paid, and he would have a shot at winning multiple championships. I know many cities can claim all this but I don't think realistically there's many that have all 3 of these points covered like we do.

First, what does the warning on my original post mean? I've been following this site for years but just started posting more frequently now.

Secondy, I don't care how remote the chances are. There has to be a plan in place to attempt to convince LeBron to come here. If this front office is serious about winning, this has to be done. And there's no point in thinking about how little the chances are...you just go for it. What does LeBron want? Hmm, well I would think that he wants to win and he wants to get paid. Those 2 things are at the top of his list and we can provide them both. But unfortunately, unlike the teams under the salary cap, it requires additional work in this case-you have to convince him that he can thrive in the ATL and make him want to come here. There's so many athletes that love living in Atlanta in the off-season so its definitely a great destination for the rich and famous. The marketing department needs to put together a plan to convey all this to Lebron. He would be loved like no athlete in the history of Atlanta, he would be getting paid, and he would have a shot at winning multiple championships. I know many cities can claim all this but I don't think realistically there's many that have all 3 of these points covered like we do.

The warning is below every member (except for admin and mod) profiles. As long as you don't see a solid colored bar in it then you haven't been warned for anything.

As to Lebron I'm certain it has been discussed internally but the only shot we'd have to make it happen would be if Joe were willing to sign with Cleveland and Cleveland were willing to trade Lebron to us and since Lebron would no longer be a Cav I highly doubt Joe would want to sign there and I highly doubt the Cavs would be willing to trade Lebron to us.

• Moderators

What warning is that?

What warning is that?

He is talking about the neg. He doesn't understand that other posters give those and not the moderators or Admin.

• Moderators

He is talking about the neg. He doesn't understand that other posters give those and not the moderators or Admin.

nbasuperstar is right if that is what you are talking about. Right now, your original posts sits at a zero or neutral status. Other posters can give you a + or - depending on whether they like your post. Personally, I would just ignore it if you aren't interested in the rating side of things. A huge negative rating has no significance on the board other than just appearing on that post - it is not a warning or anything from the moderators.

nbasuperstar is right if that is what you are talking about. Right now, your original posts sits at a zero or neutral status. Other posters can give you a + or - depending on whether they like your post. Personally, I would just ignore it if you aren't interested in the rating side of things. A huge negative rating has no significance on the board other than just appearing on that post - it is not a warning or anything from the moderators.

Yup, that exactly what I was asking about. Thanks for the clarification.

Dolfan, the other thing you said about us having to trade Joe....well, if you convince LeBron to come to Atlanta (a very longshot i know) and it is clear that we are not trading Joe Johnson back in return, I still think Cleveland would be hard pressed to find a better package than Josh Smith and fillers/draft picks in return. Is that just my homerism or do you all agree?

Dolfan, the other thing you said about us having to trade Joe....well, if you convince LeBron to come to Atlanta (a very longshot i know) and it is clear that we are not trading Joe Johnson back in return, I still think Cleveland would be hard pressed to find a better package than Josh Smith and fillers/draft picks in return. Is that just my homerism or do you all agree?

Of course I agree, but does Lebron want to play in Atlanta. I love JJ and I hope when him, Bron and Wade meet he's politicking for James to join the Hawks. I know for a fact that Wade will not be SnT to Atlanta. Riley and us just do not get along even if Wade wanted to be a Hawk.

It would take quite a bit of filler in terms of salary to make a Smith/filler for Lebron trade. I know that Josh has a big trade kicker in his contract but I don't think that counts in terms of matching up salaries and giving enough talent so we'd definitely have to include Crawford and probably Marvin to make it work. So a possible trade could be (with next years salaries):

Josh Smith (11.6 million) - 2 years remaining after 2011

Jamal Crawford (10.8 million) - expiring after 2011

Marvin Williams (6.7 million) - 2 years + early termination option year after 2011

2010 1st round pick (#24)

2012 1st round pick

Total = 29.1 million

for

Lebron James (19.5 million) - 6 year contract for ~140 million total

Antawn Jamison (13.4 million) - 1 year remaining after 2011

Total = 32.9 million

I figure that they would either want to include Jamison or Mo Williams to clear a little salary and with both players being such disappointments in the playoffs and while I'm sure they'd prefer to get rid of Mo Williams his contract is 4 million less next year and can be terminated the following year while Jamison is still guaranteed 15 million.

That leaves the Hawks with a roster of these 7 players under contract:

Teague/Bibby

JJ/??

Lebron/??

Jamison/??

Horford/Zaza

We'd be over the cap but we'd have the MLE and LLE to sign some players so let's say that we get 3 quality backup players with that we'd then have to try and sign players to minimum contracts to fill out the roster.

Maybe we'd be able to convince Haywood to take the MLE, which would allow us to move Horford to the 4 and have Jamison back him up. Then use the LLE on a backup SG/SF or try and convince Mo Evans to not opt out of his contract.

So in this fantasy trade could win with this lineup?

Teague/Bibby

JJ/??

Lebron/Evans

Horford/Jamison

Haywood/Zaza

Would Cleveland go for this trade? I'm not sure ...

It would take quite a bit of filler in terms of salary to make a Smith/filler for Lebron trade. I know that Josh has a big trade kicker in his contract but I don't think that counts in terms of matching up salaries and giving enough talent so we'd definitely have to include Crawford and probably Marvin to make it work. So a possible trade could be (with next years salaries):

Josh Smith (11.6 million) - 2 years remaining after 2011

Jamal Crawford (10.8 million) - expiring after 2011

Marvin Williams (6.7 million) - 2 years + early termination option year after 2011

2010 1st round pick (#24)

2012 1st round pick

Total = 29.1 million

for

Lebron James (19.5 million) - 6 year contract for ~140 million total

Antawn Jamison (13.4 million) - 1 year remaining after 2011

Total = 32.9 million

I figure that they would either want to include Jamison or Mo Williams to clear a little salary and with both players being such disappointments in the playoffs and while I'm sure they'd prefer to get rid of Mo Williams his contract is 4 million less next year and can be terminated the following year while Jamison is still guaranteed 15 million.

That leaves the Hawks with a roster of these 7 players under contract:

Teague/Bibby

JJ/??

Lebron/??

Jamison/??

Horford/Zaza

We'd be over the cap but we'd have the MLE and LLE to sign some players so let's say that we get 3 quality backup players with that we'd then have to try and sign players to minimum contracts to fill out the roster.

Maybe we'd be able to convince Haywood to take the MLE, which would allow us to move Horford to the 4 and have Jamison back him up. Then use the LLE on a backup SG/SF or try and convince Mo Evans to not opt out of his contract.

So in this fantasy trade could win with this lineup?

Teague/Bibby

JJ/??

Lebron/Evans

Horford/Jamison

Haywood/Zaza

Would Cleveland go for this trade? I'm not sure ...

34.1 million with Josh's trade kicker. We can still sign someone before we resign Joe. We would have 9 million especially if we renounce Childress rights. Give us room to sign a center like Joel P., Frye, or Haywood. Obviously, if we sign Joe first we can only use the MLE, and the LLE. We have a lot of options. Jamison can be useful as a 6th man as well as bait for a center like Sam D. Obviously I am going too much into this but hypothetically we have options. If Sund and ATL Spirit can pull this off, Sund and ATL Spirit will be inducted to the Atlanta HOF ASAP.

Edited by nbasuperstar40