• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawk Team Report

AHawks89

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuAnGsz4sjDDV9P_X05PNLekvLYF?slug=teamreports-2010-nba-atl

Player Notes:

• F Josh Childress is back in the U.S. and working out in California. Whether he remains in the states depends on what the Hawks plan to do with him this summer. Childress is a free agent but was pleased to hear of Larry Drew’s hiring as head coach and could potentially be open to discussions about a possible return to the Hawks, according to a person close to him. Childress would be an ideal fit off the Hawks’ bench. A veteran with even more experience after his two years in Greece, Childress would also give the Hawks another option if Joe Johnson decides to bolt in free agency.

• G Jeff Teague will be tested early and often with a new coach and a new offensive system. And he won’t have to wait until training camp. Teague will face the music in Las Vegas the second week of July during summer league. He didn’t play in a summer league before his rookie season, so he’ll finally have a chance to run a team again for the first time since he ran the show at Wake Forest. “I’m looking forward to it,” Teague said. “I didn’t feel like I saw the floor nearly as much as I would have liked or needed to if I wanted to be ready to run the team. So hopefully this is where I can get that start.”

• F Josh Smith was one of the most vocal supporters of Larry Drew’s hiring, mostly because Drew is the one coach on the staff the last six years who always approached Smith from an analytical standpoint. While Smith and ex-coach Mike Woodson often clashed on basketball philosophies, Drew had a knack for engaging Smith in ways that pushed him to think about his game in different ways. While their relationship won’t be volatile in any way, you can expect Drew to push Smith even harder than Woodson did while they were together.

Medical Watch:

• G Joe Johnson spent the entire season with a sore Achilles, but he will not need anything other than rest for it to heal.

ROSTER REPORT

Most Valuable Player: F Josh Smith remains the Hawks’ most pivotal player, even if there are All-Stars like Al Horford and Joe Johnson around, not to mention super subs like Jamal Crawford. In addition to posting stellar numbers in what should have been an All-Star season, Smith carries the emotional charge for the Hawks on their best and worst nights. When he was engaged and involved, the Hawks were a different team, and that was reflected in the way they played throughout the regular season. When the Hawks went away from him in the playoffs and resumed their “Iso-Joe” routine, they buckled.

Most Disappointing Player: F Marvin Williams(notes) got his big contract last summer and many people expected him to take his game to the “next” level, but it never happened. Williams struggled more to fit into his role as the Hawks’ fifth option than he has in any other season. His numbers dipped across the board, most notably his minutes (from 34.3 to 30.3) and scoring (from 13.9 to 10.1). He needs a new coach, or perhaps a new team, more than anyone else on the roster.

Free Agent Focus: The Hawks’ main free agent focus heading into the July 1 opening of the free agent negotiating period is exploring their options with Joe Johnson. But that doesn’t mean they don’t have other business to tend to. The Hawks have Josh Childress(notes) on their minds as well. He will return from Greece this summer ready to explore his own NBA future. And with coach Mike Woodson’s departure, a return to the Hawks could certainly be a possibility. Just like Johnson, Childress will have until mid-July to decide what he wants to do.

Hmm...

• Premium Member

I think what could conceivably happen is that we lose JJ. JChillz resigns with us. We pick up a rookie OG like Terrico White. I don't think this will be crafted to be Crawford's team. I am a Crawford supporter, however, I haven't heard Drew or Sund mention Craw. I think Craw and his 6th man status and his final year of the contract is a really enticing trade bait. I think some things also depends on if we get anything for Joe. A lot of teams could sign Joe outright, but I doubt that a team would overlook a chance to deal with us and have us take a contract off their hands. However, if I'm Sund, I'm very cautious about taking another team's junk players. I mean, we don't want to trade Joe for the rights to Antoine Walker. You know he'd just show up and mess up everything. jk.

The other things we will have to address is Horf. He has said that he wants to move back to PF. This is a big problem. Josh Smith is said to be very welcoming of LD. Something gotta give. Will LD have enough sense to move Smoove to Sf? If So, I hope that somehow, we get Okur or Frye.

I think what could conceivably happen is that we lose JJ. JChillz resigns with us. We pick up a rookie OG like Terrico White. I don't think this will be crafted to be Crawford's team. I am a Crawford supporter, however, I haven't heard Drew or Sund mention Craw. I think Craw and his 6th man status and his final year of the contract is a really enticing trade bait. I think some things also depends on if we get anything for Joe. A lot of teams could sign Joe outright, but I doubt that a team would overlook a chance to deal with us and have us take a contract off their hands. However, if I'm Sund, I'm very cautious about taking another team's junk players. I mean, we don't want to trade Joe for the rights to Antoine Walker. You know he'd just show up and mess up everything. jk.

The other things we will have to address is Horf. He has said that he wants to move back to PF. This is a big problem. Josh Smith is said to be very welcoming of LD. Something gotta give. Will LD have enough sense to move Smoove to Sf? If So, I hope that somehow, we get Okur or Frye.

Do not know Toines contract situation, but a large expiring contract and a lottery protected 1st round pick would be a good get for JJ in a SNT. I hope LD has the sense to know that Smoove can play SF but not much more than 10 minutes a game. You been lobbying for Smoove at SF since we drafted him. I am sure all his dunks and blocks look great on play station; but those bricks from 18 ft and out look like crap on the NBA network.

F Josh Childress is back in the U.S. and working out in California. Whether he remains in the states depends on what the Hawks plan to do with him this summer. Childress is a free agent but was pleased to hear of Larry Drew’s hiring as head coach and could potentially be open to discussions about a possible return to the Hawks, according to a person close to him. Childress would be an ideal fit off the Hawks’ bench.

More realistically he would be our starting small forward - if anybody has any sense.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'd love to see a frontline of Chill, Smoove, Horford reunited. Run properly this would be an exciting team. Having Chill on the floor will help Teague more than anything else because Chill will get open without the ball.

Of course, running Teague and Chill in the backcourt together would be the ugliest shooting backcourt in the modern era. Can you imagine the tempo and the dunks of a Teague, Chill, Marvin, Smoove, Horford lineup?

F Josh Childress is back in the U.S. and working out in California. Whether he remains in the states depends on what the Hawks plan to do with him this summer. Childress is a free agent but was pleased to hear of Larry Drew’s hiring as head coach and could potentially be open to discussions about a possible return to the Hawks, according to a person close to him. Childress would be an ideal fit off the Hawks’ bench.

More realistically he would be our starting small forward - if anybody has any sense.

Thank you...