• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Fans Outraged as Johnson Resigns with Hawks

leftwich

Atlanta Hawks fans everywhere were enraged Sunday when news trickled out that the Hawks had successfully resigned Joe Johnson, a four-time all-star, to a 6 year max contract. The Hawks, who are over the salary cap, could not have signed any noteworthy free agents to fill the void that would have been left by Joe Johnson.

When asked about this, a Hawks fan replied, "Yeah, I'm not stupid. I know we couldn't have signed any other big-name free agents like Carlos Boozer. But I still just can't escape the feeling that this money could have been better spent by the owners. You see, if they had not spent the money on Joe, they could have re-finished their mansions. Perhaps they could have each bought a new yacht. A fleet of new yachts could really help this team come playoff time. I just think it was a frustrating move by the ownership group to spend max money on an all-star player in his prime, when the potential benefit of spending the money elsewhere is so much more appealing to us as fans."

Time will tell as to whether this move will pay off or not for the Hawks franchise. In the meantime, the Atlanta faithful are left shaking their heads at what could have been, if only the owners had instead chosen to support a slightly more extravagant lifestyle.

Atlanta Hawks fans everywhere were enraged Sunday when news trickled out that the Hawks had successfully resigned Joe Johnson, a four-time all-star, to a 6 year max contract. The Hawks, who are over the salary cap, could not have signed any noteworthy free agents to fill the void that would have been left by Joe Johnson.

When asked about this, a Hawks fan replied, "Yeah, I'm not stupid. I know we couldn't have signed any other big-name free agents like Carlos Boozer. But I still just can't escape the feeling that this money could have been better spent by the owners. You see, if they had not spent the money on Joe, they could have re-finished their mansions. Perhaps they could have each bought a new yacht. A fleet of new yachts could really help this team come playoff time. I just think it was a frustrating move by the ownership group to spend max money on an all-star player in his prime, when the potential benefit of spending the money elsewhere is so much more appealing to us as fans."

Time will tell as to whether this move will pay off or not for the Hawks franchise. In the meantime, the Atlanta faithful are left shaking their heads at what could have been, if only the owners had instead chosen to support a slightly more extravagant lifestyle.

im outraged that u posted this as a topic

• Like 1

IBTL

PS. We dont need Boozer so that one fan is pretty stupid.

This thread was a backhanded compliment, correct?

This thread was a backhanded compliment, correct?

Yeah, not so much a backhanded compliment, but definitely a compliment. It was more making fun of the fans who are pissed we resigned Joe, as if we had any other options considering we're over the cap. I've never seen a fanbase angry at an ownership for spending money on an all star.

Anyway, I suppose this topic shouldn't have been started, and I deeply, deeply apologize. It really takes away from insightful topics such as, "Hawks MANAGMENT Grabd your ***** and pull the offer" that had nearly 100 replies and over 1,000 views. That's some good stuff right there.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yeah, not so much a backhanded compliment, but definitely a compliment. It was more making fun of the fans who are pissed we resigned Joe, as if we had any other options considering we're over the cap. I've never seen a fanbase angry at an ownership for spending money on an all star.

Anyway, I suppose this topic shouldn't have been started, and I deeply, deeply apologize. It really takes away from insightful topics such as, "Hawks MANAGMENT Grabd your ***** and pull the offer" that had nearly 100 replies and over 1,000 views. That's some good stuff right there.

No apology needed on my account, fwiw... we're pretty much on the same side... I'm even a Leftwich fan... but just was expressing my personal exasperation/boredom at yet another thread begun discussing either why we should all feel great or feel lousy over the Joe agreement.

• Premium Member
The Hawks, who are over the salary cap, could not have signed any noteworthy free agents to fill the void that would have been left by Joe Johnson.

People talk about a "void" left by Joe, but no one ever really discusses what object Joe was actually a part of.

There's a big difference in a void left in an apple and a void left in a bar of gold.

People talk about a "void" left by Joe, but no one ever really discusses what object Joe was actually a part of.

There's a big difference in a void left in an apple and a void left in a bar of gold.

There's a big difference in an apple and horse s***.

Let's see where a new coach can get us. And no one really mentions that Crawford and Mo are expiring and we have future firsts. The Lakers got Pau Gasol for a whole lot less than that.

• Premium Member
Let's see where a new coach can get us. And no one really mentions that Crawford and Mo are expiring and we have future firsts. The Lakers got Pau Gasol for a whole lot less than that.

People are:

1.) Placing far too much pressure on a rookie coach. It's highly likely that Drew will need time to adapt to being a lead coach.

2.) Ignoring the fact there is likely to be a lockout in 2011.

3.) Going to be extremely disappointed if they expect to find an elite player with expiring contracts and late first rounders. The reason the Gasol trade is so well-known is that it was so out of the norm for NBA trades. (Even then, the Grizzlies got a young European big man, something the Hawks don't have to offer, in that deal).

People are:

1.) Placing far too much pressure on a rookie coach. It's highly likely that Drew will need time to adapt to being a lead coach.

2.) Ignoring the fact there is likely to be a lockout in 2011.

3.) Going to be extremely disappointed if they expect to find an elite player with expiring contracts and late first rounders. The reason the Gasol trade is so well-known is that it was so out of the norm for NBA trades. (Even then, the Grizzlies got a young European big man, something the Hawks don't have to offer, in that deal).

I'm not sure Marc Gasol had 1% of his current trade value at the time he was traded.

Other then that I agree. Just still don't know of a better alternative to resigning Joe, unless maybe Bob Sura was willing to come out of retirement.

Post of the year.

• Premium Member

I'm not sure Marc Gasol had 1% of his current trade value at the time he was traded.

Only to Americans.

A few months before the trade:

Gasol on the other hand looks like an absolute steal for the Lakers, having drafted him in the late second round (#48) this past June. His skill level is looking better and better these days, knocking down a 3-pointer calmly, hitting a pretty turnaround jumper, and doing a terrific job moving off the ball and creating space for his post-mate Vroman to operate. He's a team player who really knows how to pass the ball and is looking much more comfortable in his own skin than we ever remembered him. He also utilized his size very nicely both on the glass and inside the paint, making his presence felt here and altering quite a few Charleroi shots. In short, we're talking about an absolute stud at this level. It's still not 100% clear that he's athletic enough to play substantial minutes in today's NBA, especially early on, but to land a player this big with this kind of skill level and basketball IQ is an absolute coup. He might be the best big man in the ACB these days, which is saying an awful lot.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpr.../#ixzz0sqjAyvqC

http://www.draftexpress.com

The ACB is considered the second-best league on Earth.

A few weeks after the trade:

Still, Pau's younger brother is one of the most promising centers in Europe, and probably an underrated piece -by the American media- in the recent blockbuster trade that involved both brothers. Anyway, he doesn't seem to fit too well with the current Memphis Grizzlies game style, but he might be a nice asset to work in a trade in the near future.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpr.../#ixzz0sqjbDBdr

http://www.draftexpress.com

A smart GM would've place his value somewhere between Teague and Smith. He was clearly the piece the Grizzlies desired in that trade.

Edited by mrhonline