• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Getting a center for Horf

terrellgroup

I know there has been several post about Atlanta getting a center. I am really not concern about Shaq or Miller, what I am concern about is Horf. I really think Horf is a great player, a franchise player. That being said, we HAVE to get a center, it is a must. I know we have ZaZa, but that is not a enough.

I read the latest news about not going over the salary cap. Please tell me that ASG is simply blowing smoke. Horf deserves the luxury of playing with a center, a quality center.

Does anyone know of any possible moves the Hawks are planning to explore, SERIOUSLY all jokes a side.

• Premium Member

I know there has been several post about Atlanta getting a center. I am really not concern about Shaq or Miller, what I am concern about is Horf. I really think Horf is a great player, a franchise player. That being said, we HAVE to get a center, it is a must. I know we have ZaZa, but that is not a enough.

I read the latest news about not going over the salary cap. Please tell me that ASG is simply blowing smoke. Horf deserves the luxury of playing with a center, a quality center.

Does anyone know of any possible moves the Hawks are planning to explore, SERIOUSLY all jokes a side.

I definitely agree, but the Hawks seem content to marginalize his talent by playing him almost exclusively at the 5 while ignoring his requests.

either horf plays the 5 most of the time or smoove gets traded...u can't have it both ways as smoove is faaaaarrr worse at 3 than horf is at 5

i'd rather keep horf than smoove, but i'm fine with keeping both as our 4/5 and trying to (eventually) get a bigger backup for horf that can handle dwight

If Horford is such a "Franchise Player" at the center position (which I partially agree with you) why can't we be patient until we find the right player for the team? I remember this same argument when Kobe needed a big man to win. They tried Chris Mihm and got to the playoff but could not win. They tried Kwame and got little better but not good enough to contend. Then they struck it rich with Gasol. What I'm saying is these things take time. I think the only reason why Horford may want to leave is if he thinks management is not about winning.

• Like 1

either horf plays the 5 most of the time or smoove gets traded...u can't have it both ways as smoove is faaaaarrr worse at 3 than horf is at 5

i'd rather keep horf than smoove, but i'm fine with keeping both as our 4/5 and trying to (eventually) get a bigger backup for horf that can handle dwight

I agree with you but I don't think Horford thinks he can't handle Dwight. I think he thinks no one else can when he gets a blow or when he move over to PF from time to time in the game.

• Premium Member

I don't think it's simply Dwight Howard. I think the lack of size among the guys who get the most minutes at those two positions (Horf and Smoove) is going to make it difficult to advance far in the playoffs no matter who the Hawks play.

If Horford is such a "Franchise Player" at the center position (which I partially agree with you) why can't we be patient until we find the right player for the team? I remember this same argument when Kobe needed a big man to win. They tried Chris Mihm and got to the playoff but could not win. They tried Kwame and got little better but not good enough to contend. Then they struck it rich with Gasol. What I'm saying is these things take time. I think the only reason why Horford may want to leave is if he thinks management is not about winning.

I agree, it does take time. Keep in mind , the Lakkers tried different big man before Gasol, for example K. Brown. Also, Kobe was witnessing Bynum develop the entire time.

As fas a Smoove at three, it would be good to see him at 3 and 4. Why not.

I not saying go send a lot of money , just sign a big body who can play about 20 min a game. Please leave ZaZa out of it.

Horf is top 10 center in this league and I believe, given a chance, he has potential to be top 5 PF very soon. Whom are you expecting to get for him that would be as good or better?

IMO we have two options already discussed many times:

- bring real C as backup, a guy who can hold his own against Dwight and 7 footers for 15-20 mins. This gives us flexibility to play Al at 4 for some time and share fouls between bigs. I like this option even it means Smoove at 3 from time to time - he can hit outside jumpers straight to the basket decently and with his court vision that's the place I want to see him to roam when he's not down low. In this configuration he usually has smaller player against him. I don't mind 1-3 pnr from time to time either. Smoove would have to try harder at defensive end guarding his man and would have less opportunities to help others though.To sum it up: Josh at 3 for limited time is not the end of the world.

- trade Smoove. I don't want to do this unless we get all star point guard or center in return. Not likely to happen.

I don't think it's simply Dwight Howard. I think the lack of size among the guys who get the most minutes at those two positions (Horf and Smoove) is going to make it difficult to advance far in the playoffs no matter who the Hawks play.

I agree. This seems like the long-term result of Billy Knights idea of having a whole team of 6'8 players. Horford is my favorite player, but I think we are going to lose him. Even if he is offered more money by the Hawks, he'll probably end up better in the long run by playing 4 somewhere. He could be one of the best 4's, but his size will not let him be one of the best centers. And his body will probably last longer.

• Premium Member

I agree. This seems like the long-term result of Billy Knights idea of having a whole team of 6'8 players. Horford is my favorite player, but I think we are going to lose him. Even if he is offered more money by the Hawks, he'll probably end up better in the long run by playing 4 somewhere. He could be one of the best 4's, but his size will not let him be one of the best centers. And his body will probably last longer.

Agreed. I don't think people realize how hard it is to battle against bigger guys every night and both Horf and Smoove have to do that for 82 games a season + playoffs. That's extremely tough to do physically and mentally.

Al is already one of the best centers. He's 4th among centers in the NBA in win shares. He's 5th among centers in the NBA in win shares per 48. He is 8th among centers in PER.