• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Hawks are not on Chris Paul's wishlist

Blunt91

Chris Broussard on ESPN is reporting that Chris Paul is to meet with the new Hornets GM next week. The Hornets will try to convince Paul that New Orleans is heading in the right direction to compete for a championship. However, Chris Paul's camp doesn't believe that they can show them anything different that will change their minds. He stated that the team's Paul is interested in going to if a trade could be worked our are Newyork, Portland, Orlando and Dallas. So sorry Hawks fans, Paul is not interested in coming to the ATL.

Chris Broussard on ESPN is reporting that Chris Paul is to meet with the new Hornets GM next week. The Hornets will try to convince Paul that New Orleans is heading in the right direction to compete for a championship. However, Chris Paul's camp doesn't believe that they can show them anything different that will change their minds. He stated that the team's Paul is interested in going to if a trade could be worked our are Newyork, Portland, Orlando and Dallas. So sorry Hawks fans, Paul is not interested in coming to the ATL.

Not like he has any say in the matter.

• Like 2

I agree- Chris Paul doesn't get much say in this matter. His only leverage would be to threaten to play this season and then next season and then opt out of 18 million dollars to sign in FA without knowing what the rules of Free Agency would be by then. Not much of a threat- thats why he wants a trade now so he can just sign an extension under the current rules with his new team. Thats all well and good to say where he would like to go but unless he goes to a terrible sitaution I'll be shocked if he doesn't sign an extension wherever he is traded to.

I am starting to sour on Chris Paul. He is starting to act like LeBron IMO. The Hornets have spent a fortune trying to get players around him. Plus their draft picks have not been bad at all with David West and Marcus Thorton. To me he is looking at Miami and saying that is what I want to do. Problems are many but two right off the top of my head are, he has no say in where he wants to play and tirades like this are doing nothing for his PR rep.

West, Thorton, and Paul are three players to build around. I wish that was our core to be honest. If I was the Hornets owner, I would do one of two things. Keep him just like the Suns did Amare or ship his *ss to one of the worse teams in the league (picks and players please) just to spite him.

He has no choice in where he goes but he has a choice in what team trades for him. Spot already touched on it, no team is going to gut themselves for a 2 year rental of Paul so a team that trades for him has to know that he will be interested in being there for the duration before they take the plunge. He may lose out on some contract money by not signing an extension but he still has New York as leverage. They are pretty much built to sign him in the future and whatever money he loses from his contract he'll make up in endorsements. So pretty much trade him to wherever he wants or lose him for nada.

OK, I want to learn, so bear with me.

The question I have is this: Would a trade for Paul truly make the Hawks serious contenders? Of course the knee jerk reaction would be YES. Before the Hawks try to make such a trade, let's look at the realities.

In order to trade for Paul, the Hawks must provide the Hornets with the best deal. My guess is that the Hawks would have to take Okafur's horrible contract, as well as provide a player that the Hornets want. In my opinion, the Hawks best offer would be: Bibby, Marvin and Crawford. Bibby is a player with a contract that expires soon and is an experienced PG that can give Collison plenty of support. Marvin is a very good defender and is young enough to have the potential to become a strong scorer. Crawford has been recognized as the best 6th man in the NBA and I think that his contract would be very attractive to the Hornets.

OK, so that is what the Hornets would be getting. What is in it for the Hawks? Naturally, the Hawks would be getting the best PG in the NBA. However, he also has a knee that may hamper him for years to come. I don't know much about his knee injury, but the buyer must be wary. The Hawks would also add a Center in Okafur that is strapped to a long term and very expensive contract. If you consider that the Hawks will be responsible for JJ's, Okafur's and eventually Paul's high contracts, how will they be able to afford to keep both Horford and J Smith?

From my point of view, the Hawks can not afford to make this trade. To do so, they would have to unload Horford and Smith in order to pay Paul, JJ and Okafur. Does this make sense?

Edited by ggp

He has no choice in where he goes but he has a choice in what team trades for him. Spot already touched on it, no team is going to gut themselves for a 2 year rental of Paul so a team that trades for him has to know that he will be interested in being there for the duration before they take the plunge. He may lose out on some contract money by not signing an extension but he still has New York as leverage. They are pretty much built to sign him in the future and whatever money he loses from his contract he'll make up in endorsements. So pretty much trade him to wherever he wants or lose him for nada.

New CBA...New CBA...New CBA. It is no shock that just about every player that could, opted out this offseason with exceptions being players with major injuries and low budget players like Evans. I think with a new CBA, their may be a grace period honoring high dollar contracts but once those contracts are up, players are going to take a severe cut in pay. Paul opts out of 17 million, it may take him close to two years to get that back.

The days of 100 mill plus contracts are going to be a thing of the past IMO. Only a select few owners can justify it and the majority of owners are not going to stand for it anymore. Paul may very well opt out and make good money on endorsement deals; but he will not get 17 million a year again once the new CBA is in place. I am willing to make a little wager on that one.

Edited by Buzzard

New CBA...New CBA...New CBA. It is no shock that just about every player that could, opted out this offseason with exceptions being players with major injuries and low budget players like Evans. I think with a new CBA, their may be a grace period honoring high dollar contracts but once those contracts are up, players are going to take a severe cut in pay. Paul opts out of 17 million, it may take him close to two years to get that back.

The days of 100 mill plus contracts are going to be a thing of the past IMO. Only a select few owners can justify it and the majority of owners are not going to stand for it anymore. Paul may very well opt out and make good money on endorsement deals; but he will not get 17 million a year again once the new CBA is in place. I am willing to make a little wager on that one.

Again, thus why New York will be his leverage. He already says he wants to be traded there and they will have cap available to sign him when he becomes a free agent. Whatever money he loses out in contracts he will make back ten-fold in endorsements. This was only practically the whole argument New York used when luring Lebron and appealing to his desire of becoming a billionaire athlete. You don't think a flashy guard with Paul's personality could cash in on half yet alone most of the marketing avenues that would of been open to Lebron? We are seriously overestimating what an NBA contract means to these players, to Joe yea but look at the big three down in Miami and their "paycuts." They are certainly making less on their deals but do you really think they've lost out in earnings between endorsements and the zero income tax?

• Premium Member

Not so quick my friend.

You grossly underestimate the Hawks. I think we are exactly the team that would risk that. The reason why is simple.. If he doesn't produce (championship returns) we'd kick him to the curb anyway. If he does, why would he want to leave?

If we get the shot at Paul without losing too much, I say do it. We need to stir the pot some. I believe Shaq would sign for the vet min if we made the deal and offered him some starts.

• Premium Member

OK, I want to learn, so bear with me.

The question I have is this: Would a trade for Paul truly make the Hawks serious contenders? Of course the knee jerk reaction would be YES. Before the Hawks try to make such a trade, let's look at the realities.

In order to trade for Paul, the Hawks must provide the Hornets with the best deal. My guess is that the Hawks would have to take Okafur's horrible contract, as well as provide a player that the Hornets want. In my opinion, the Hawks best offer would be: Bibby, Marvin and Crawford. Bibby is a player with a contract that expires soon and is an experienced PG that can give Collison plenty of support. Marvin is a very good defender and is young enough to have the potential to become a strong scorer. Crawford has been recognized as the best 6th man in the NBA and I think that his contract would be very attractive to the Hornets.

OK, so that is what the Hornets would be getting. What is in it for the Hawks? Naturally, the Hawks would be getting the best PG in the NBA. However, he also has a knee that may hamper him for years to come. I don't know much about his knee injury, but the buyer must be wary. The Hawks would also add a Center in Okafur that is strapped to a long term and very expensive contract. If you consider that the Hawks will be responsible for JJ's, Okafur's and eventually Paul's high contracts, how will they be able to afford to keep both Horford and J Smith?

From my point of view, the Hawks can not afford to make this trade. To do so, they would have to unload Horford and Smith in order to pay Paul, JJ and Okafur. Does this make sense?

A lot of what you're saying is true. We would have to take back Okafor and aside from Orlando, we are the only ones who can do so and give them good value on the trade. I'm talking about losing even Smoove is neccessary.

Which brings your question.

Would we be championship Material.

Let's see...

We would have: Okafor, Horf, Marvin, Joe, and Paul ... we're still weak at the SF position. Paul has to make up the difference. I think the key is getting a great PG while he is still in his prime. Paul would automatically become the best PG in the history of this franchise.

The true question mark is what happens to our bench. We no longer have the luxury of having guys we know can get it done off the bench. The bench would be Teague, Craw2, and Powell. However, something tells me if we get Paul, a guy like Shaq would want to be here also. For the vet min at that. We'd be interesting. Definitely a strong matchup in the East. I think we'd be the best team in the east...

If it's indeed true the Hawks are not on the list two words go figure. Paul must want to cash in on the endorsements. The Hawks have a much better team than New York and the trading pieces to make Charlotte happy. It never seems like any superstar wants to play for the Hawks.

Good Gms find a way to get it done but our ownership must be out to lunch again thinking we our competitve with the top teams already. Average and bad teams just sit back in lala land while elite teams go out and get things done. They believe they are never good enough so much for being a Hawk fan.

He said he will go to any team that is a contender as well which includes the Hawks if they add CP3.