• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin needs a good personal coach/trainer

I think Marvin can be a lot better than he is right now. He is seriously just a few tweaks away from being a really good player. I really think that he might be doing the wrong things in the weight room. No joke here but he needs to focus less on squats and more on building his upperbody. I mean when he gets hit when he drives to the hoop, it always looks way worse than it is. I mean a pg can knock his body into Marvin and he will fall down hard. I really think he is built (physically) incorrect. I know a lot of it is genetics and his general makeup but 20% or so can be changed in the gym if he works out correctly. I know this is kind of an odd topic but if you really think about it, I think it makes some sense. Initially when he came into the league, I thought it was because he was a 19 year old. Now that his body should have completely matured, it seems like he still has the same issues. If he fixes these issues, he will be more effective driving to the hoop and we all know how money he is with his jumpshot so in my opinion he will be much improved. Thoughts?

Marvin need an expanded role so he doesn't lull around on offense like he did last year. The talent is there but it's the mental part with Marvin. Hopefully putting him on the market woke him up.

Marvin I think can be a Corey Maggette type of player who can get to the Free throw line at will. Like nbasuperstar said, it's a mental thing for Marvin. Whenever you see Marvin aggressive during the whole course of the game, he's a pretty good player. He just needs to do it in a daily and consistent basis.

i like Marvin but he jus doesnt have that "superstar" mindset, he has all the tools to be great ala Lamar Odom with his versatility the play inside out but its mental. but yea a coach could help his development and some support from the fans and most importantly the coaching staff and team. trust me I play ball once u know that everyone is confident in your abilities it makes everything easier on the court

• Premium Member

Everything that's been said...except the physical part. Marvin is a big dude, he's quick, and he has a good shot. His problem has nothing to do with the physical ability to be a better player. It's all mental. He is simply too content to fill his role and in a system where one or two guys ISO the ball 90% of the time, that means he has no role or purpose. It really didn't help that his shot fell off, but that shows what he's lacking - fire to improve. It seems like he's lost all confidence and is trying to hide behind the "team player" label.

This is why I'm not ready to deal him for peanuts. I would at least like to TRY and improve his value before we essentially dump him for nothing.

• Like 1

yea his confidence is down and he's still young so you kno how emtions are up and down but he has the buildup of a matchup nightmare who can play in and out and do damage but i have faith in Marvin, I think this mite be his year to emerge into a consistent midrange/3pt shooter and do more work on the boards

Everything that's been said...except the physical part. Marvin is a big dude, he's quick, and he has a good shot. His problem has nothing to do with the physical ability to be a better player. It's all mental. He is simply too content to fill his role and in a system where one or two guys ISO the ball 90% of the time, that means he has no role or purpose. It really didn't help that his shot fell off, but that shows what he's lacking - fire to improve. It seems like he's lost all confidence and is trying to hide behind the "team player" label.

This is why I'm not ready to deal him for peanuts. I would at least like to TRY and improve his value before we essentially dump him for nothing.

i agree with all you wrote!.....so true!

• Premium Member

i like Marvin but he jus doesnt have that "superstar" mindset, he has all the tools to be great ala Lamar Odom with his versatility the play inside out but its mental. but yea a coach could help his development and some support from the fans and most importantly the coaching staff and team. trust me I play ball once u know that everyone is confident in your abilities it makes everything easier on the court

Back in 2005.

This is from an artical today called ' "What Could Have Been: A Dozen NBA Regrets"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/425161-what-could-have-been-a-dozen-nba-regrets

12. Chris Paul, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks

I still see no sign that NBA decision makers have learned what NFL GMs have known for years, you can’t teach personality. Marvin Williams is happy to be a sixth man, so no matter how much talent he has he will always be a sixth man. Chris Paul wants greatness, and it's sad Hawk’s fans don’t get to see him and Joe Johnson running a fast break with Josh Smith flying through the air like a circus performer to slam home insane alley oops.

This is from an artical today called ' "What Could Have Been: A Dozen NBA Regrets"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/425161-what-could-have-been-a-dozen-nba-regrets

12. Chris Paul, Joe Johnson and Josh Smith, Atlanta Hawks

I still see no sign that NBA decision makers have learned what NFL GMs have known for years, you can’t teach personality. Marvin Williams is happy to be a sixth man, so no matter how much talent he has he will always be a sixth man. Chris Paul wants greatness, and it's sad Hawk’s fans don’t get to see him and Joe Johnson running a fast break with Josh Smith flying through the air like a circus performer to slam home insane alley oops.

Diesel could have wrote that article. It's from the Bleacherreport.