• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pros vs. Pros

lethalweapon3

• Moderators

With a growing number of once-super NBA stars losing out in free agency musical chairs in the limelight of their careers, I wonder would it be beneficial for the NBA to create a traveling franchise with no geographical base. Only players with 10+ seasons that are unsigned through August 31 of each year are eligible for max 2-year contracts. Think of "The D-League Select Team," but with sun-setting NBA players that would play two games against each NBA team during the season. Corporate sponsors can set up and run the franchise and arrange naming rights ("BC Aflac" or something). I want to say they do stuff like this in pro soccer, but can't think of a specific example.

If they outperform the league's worst playoff entrant, they get a play-in road game at the end of the regular season. After winning that, they would play their home playoff contests in the perennial NBA exhibition towns (Vegas, KC, etc.)

If it's done right, I think it would add a draw to each NBA arena that small-market and non-contending teams don't provide on a 40+game home schedule.

~lw3

• Premium Member

With a growing number of once-super NBA stars losing out in free agency musical chairs in the limelight of their careers, I wonder would it be beneficial for the NBA to create a traveling franchise with no geographical base. Only players with 10+ seasons that are unsigned through August 31 of each year are eligible for max 2-year contracts. Think of "The D-League Select Team," but with sun-setting NBA players that would play two games against each NBA team during the season. Corporate sponsors can set up and run the franchise and arrange naming rights ("BC Aflac" or something). I want to say they do stuff like this in pro soccer, but can't think of a specific example.

If they outperform the league's worst playoff entrant, they get a play-in road game at the end of the regular season. After winning that, they would play their home playoff contests in the perennial NBA exhibition towns (Vegas, KC, etc.)

If it's done right, I think it would add a draw to each NBA arena that small-market and non-contending teams don't provide on a 40+game home schedule.

~lw3

Better would be allowed those guys to be drafted and play in the d-League for 5 Million dollars per. Everybody would win. Those d-League teams would get a bonafide star to help fill the seats. The d-League players would learn more about how to prepare for the league. These players can make more than 2 times as much as the vet Min and they can start preparing for their sunset by working with young guys.

• Moderators

That's where my topic went! Sorry, modz, this is "Around the NBA" material.

Undoubtedly, nobody would want to lose to the NBA Geezers. But it would be better revenue-wise (maybe even psyche-wise) than losing to, say, the Bucks or Bobcats in the first round. And the potential of beating/losing to the Used-to-Be-Stars is what would bring fans out.

~lw3

Better would be allowed those guys to be drafted and play in the d-League for 5 Million dollars per. Everybody would win. Those d-League teams would get a bonafide star to help fill the seats. The d-League players would learn more about how to prepare for the league. These players can make more than 2 times as much as the vet Min and they can start preparing for their sunset by working with young guys.

Sounds good but let's face it....those players have too much pride.

Interesting take...but, I can't see Shaq or T-Mac being willing to play and being pumped to ball in Bismarck, North Dakota.

Interesting take...but, I can't see Shaq or T-Mac being willing to play and being pumped to ball in Bismarck, North Dakota.

Probably not, but you gotta' admit, it's a cool idea.

PG-Marbury

SG-Iverson

SF-McGrady

PF-????

C-O'Neal

That would've been a championship team a few years ago.

Probably not, but you gotta' admit, it's a cool idea.

PG-Marbury

SG-Iverson

SF-McGrady

PF-????

C-O'Neal

That would've been a championship team a few years ago.

How bout Rasheed Wallace at PF?

It is a cool idea....

• Premium Member

Actually,

I'm talking about a Senior draft for the NBADL...

Can you imagine:

With the first pick of the draft, Tulsa selects Shaquille Oneal.

With the next pick, Wilmington selects Allen Iverson.

etc...

These guys would be guaranteed 5 Million for the season. Plus, if they play well enough and get into basketball shape, they can be called up to the pros. But they would have to renegotiate a new contract. Give them all the power. IF you did that, maybe the d-League could get a TV contract. Maybe with Bravo or Versus or something.

• Moderators

Yeah, thankfully they wouldn't have to have 'home' games until the playoffs (traveling road team concept), and even those games would be in places like Vegas, Tampa, The OC, KC, etc. Their older bodies would only play 60 games and their final record would be matched up percentage wise against the last playoff entrant from either conference to see if they're deserving of a play-in.

~lw3

Yeah, thankfully they wouldn't have to have 'home' games until the playoffs (traveling road team concept), and even those games would be in places like Vegas, Tampa, The OC, KC, etc. Their older bodies would only play 60 games and their final record would be matched up percentage wise against the last playoff entrant from either conference to see if they're deserving of a play-in.

~lw3

If we're all in agreement on this, why don't we just raise the necessary funds to make it happen? I've got $5 on it!

• Moderators

If we're all in agreement on this, why don't we just raise the necessary funds to make it happen? I've got $5 on it!

"And with that statement, in 2003, the Atlanta Spirit Group was born..."

</jamesearljonesnarration>

~lw3