• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What if Teague isn't the answer at PG?

Sothron

• Premium Member

I have been guilty of what I think most of us have done mentally so far. We have it pretty much stenciled in our heads that Teague is going to outplay Bibby in preseason and Drew will hand him the starting job. Teague will then flourish and show he's a starting quality point for years.

But....what if that doesn't happen? What if Teague is just an athletic guy whose just not cut out to be a starting point guard? We've seen athletic points who are just good defensive guys off the bench in Dooling and Daniels.

If Teague isn't the answer then what do we do? I know the temporary answer is just sliding Bibby back into the starting role but Bibby is borderline done in the league (I think he is two years past done but I don't want to turn this into a Bibby thread) and that still doesn't answer the long term problem.

Would we try and trade? Crawford for TJ Ford? Crawford for Darren Collison and Okafor/Peja?

I'm not saying I think Teague is going to flop but I absolutely think it is a fair question to speculate on what the plan would be at point if he doesn't work out.

I have been guilty of what I think most of us have done mentally so far. We have it pretty much stenciled in our heads that Teague is going to outplay Bibby in preseason and Drew will hand him the starting job. Teague will then flourish and show he's a starting quality point for years.

I see your point Soth - but I have never thought of Teague as our starting PG this year . Mike Bibby is our starting PG and will be until he gets passed by Teague's in-game, on-court production. It would be nice if that happens this year but I wouldn't bet ont it. I just want Teague to take away some minutes from Bibbs and show that he can do the job. In all honesty - Teague wasn't even the backup PG last year (Craw was)...he was taking minutes where he could get them.

Point Guards need to be quick - distribute the ball well - and knock down shots. Teague is quick. Bibby distributes the ball well and knocks down shots. Bibby is the veteran with NBA playoff experience. Obviously Mike Bibby is our starting PG, even if Teague outplays him in the pre-(means nothing)-season.

Wow, so no one wants to address your question in the spirit in which it was made? Go figure :helpsmilie:

Tough on though because I see such a wide divergence between possibilities & probabilities.

I doubt we'd do anything worthwhile honestly.

Played with trade machine & couldn't come up with anything realistic.

Hmm ...

If he's not the answer then we're right where we have been for the last 10+ years.

I see your point somewhat High5...but in reality Bibby is a quality offensive PG. He can run the show, produce assists, and hit big shots. The other side of the coin (defense) isn't so good.

Here is the key IMO. If we had a solid defensive center where we could start a frontline with Horford at PF and Smoove at SF we would be less inclined to collapse inside. It's simple numbers. If you have a quality defensive center along with Horford at PF and Smoove at SF you have a very effective (and often dominant) front line. If that were the case our interior D would be able to "turn-around" driving PGs. That would protect Bibbs on the defensive end.

Personally I don't get why on earth anyone would pencil in Teague as the starter. No one taken in the 20's should ever be expected to become a starter and Teague's rookie year was a disappointment.

If Teague isn't the answer at PG then the Hawks stick with Bibby to start and have Crawford finish the game just like last season. If teague can turn into a quality backup PG then to me thats a bonus.

Personally I don't get why on earth anyone would pencil in Teague as the starter. No one taken in the 20's should ever be expected to become a starter and Teague's rookie year was a disappointment.

If Teague isn't the answer at PG then the Hawks stick with Bibby to start and have Crawford finish the game just like last season. If teague can turn into a quality backup PG then to me thats a bonus.

Pencil in, no. But I have no problem with the expectation. Guys drafted late have been starter quality. Arenas, Rondo and Brooks come to mind. I'd start Jamal at the point.