Pape Sy - Opinions?

PaceRam

I have to admit that when the Hawks drafted Pape Sy I was really disappointed. I thought the Hawks would draft a Center (and, they passed on a couple I thought they might draft but instead sold that 2nd Round pick) but they drafted Sy instead and I never heard of him and could find very little information on him so I immediately came to my conclusion this was a wasted pick! But, after seeing some of his video highlights (and, I do realize that sometimes HIGHLIGHTS can me a little misleading) he started to impress me and I got a lttle excited about him playing for the Hawks but I have no idea what kind of competition he was playing against. Am I too optimistic to think that Sy can play in the NBA and even actually help the Hawks? He really seemed to have some great moves and a good outside shot but then again I don't guess Highlight footage is going to show your bad games or weaknesses. Could Sy be that DIAMOND IN THE ROUGH type player and a real steal for the Hawks? Just curious what other Hawk fans think of Sy and if you have any additional information on him.

• Premium Member

I believe Sy is a good player to develop. I think he has the capacity to be a defensive stopper on the perimeter like Air France. I also believe that he might make Mo Evans tradable. Teams will want Mo's expiring and the Hawks may benefit in the form of a needed player.

My only issue is that Sy is already 22 and wasn't recieving any amount of burn on his lower seeded French team. He must have something in him right now that attracted the scoutng department because I doubt there's room left for any dramatic developments in his talent and skill. Similar to Mario he probably is what he is. As to what that is... is? Well we'll see.

Anyone that pays his way from France to Atlanta for training camp and also stays around to walk on the stage at the draft in the late 2nd round deserves a chance in my book.

I think he is going to be a good player. Im already on the bandwagon.

• Premium Member

Big and strong with good ball handling skills. And like the post above said...He is fearless going to the basket. Who knows why his French team doesn't like him? He looked very good in summer league for a guy who hasn't played against top talent during his career. Excellent pick up LD! These are the types of moves that helps you build a championship quality team.

Edited by Peoriabird

I like what I have seen from Pape Sy so far which isn't much. He reminds me of an Ime Udoka type of a player. Basically a defensive guy who has all around offensive skills as well. Like others stated, I am not expecting much but obviously hoping for the best. I guess he could be a Bruce Bowen type best case scenario. He seems like he is very gritty and won't back down from a challenge which is something we need more of from our roster. I guess with Sy and Etan Thomas we get that. GO HAWKS!!!!

Plenty of summer league MVPs don't become real NBA players. Pep Sy barely played in the summer league. Anybody can look good in the highlights. Remember, how excited we got about Yi before the draft?

Size and strength do not make one an NBA player.

If the Hawks thought he was as good as some of the enthusiastic fans are thinking, they would have used the 31st pick on Pep Sy just to guarantee that this hidden Ginobilli doesn't get stolen by some other team. If the Hawks thought JC2 will be half as good as JC1, they wouldn't have risked it by trading down.

Logically speaking don't expect him to become a rotation player in the NBA. Very very low probability of succeeding.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I like this kid, but as of right now i just see him a a bonifide Mario West......

Any1 know if he can shoot??

Give me a break! This guy has more basketball skills than West ever had. Trust your eyes my friend when Sy was running point in summer league. Driving to the basket and hitting free throws. West could never do that!

Plenty of summer league MVPs don't become real NBA players. Pep Sy barely played in the summer league. Anybody can look good in the highlights. Remember, how excited we got about Yi before the draft?

If the Hawks thought he was as good as some of the enthusiastic fans are thinking, they would have used the 31st pick on Pep Sy just to guarantee that this hidden Ginobilli doesn't get stolen by some other team. If the Hawks thought JC2 will be half as good as JC1, they wouldn't have risked it by trading down.

Logically speaking don't expect him to become a rotation player in the NBA. Very very low probability of succeeding.

Why would another team who didn't even bring him to training camp draft him? The Hawks knew that.

• Premium Member

Sounds like yet another self fulfilling prophecy type person on Hawksquawk.. Get ready Sy! Cause no matter what you do, it won't be good enough because we have found your antagonist!

Edited by Peoriabird

Sounds like yet another self fulfilling prophecy type person on Hawksquawk.. Get ready Sy! Cause no matter what you do, it won't be good enough because we have found your antagonist!

Yeah, not sure I read where anyone said he was the next Ginobili. He's going to be a surprise because no one had even heard of him, much less worked him out. Watching him play against legit NBA players in summer league showed me enough that he isn't scared of them and has the handles and slashing ability to make the NBA. He needs to work on finishing and possibly his mid range game. Not sure of all his pluses or minuses on such a small sample but did see enough to know he's a legit NBA'r.

• Like 1