• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can the Hawks really get that much better?....How can we make it to the finals?

JTB

Now what I mean by my topic "can the hawks get that much better?" , is that im sayin even if we get a BIG who can take care of howard or a perimeter defender we still wouldnt be considered with the elite and most likely wouldnt make it to the NBA Finals! So at this point either the ASG and Sund or whoever get some balls and make a trade for a superstar or this team has just about reached its ceiling, being on the realistic side! Now im not bashing our ATL Hawks, hell i love this squad but what im thinkin is that the hawks can only get better through being coached this season. In other words LD kinda controls this teams fate with his coaching!

Can the hawks be a better team? Yes....how?

-our BIGS take care of business in the paint

-LD's new offense and defense scheme works

-Teague really steps it up

-Marvin really steps it up

................................................................But even if all that was to happen, is it fair to say we are title contenders? No.....why?

-We still need that BIG time superstar like a melo,cp3,kobe,lebron type player. JJ is very good but he needs somebody beside him on a higher level like the players mentioned!

Whats the real chances of us getting a elite superstar? and is it possible to make it to the finals without trying to acquire a elite player?

-Chances of us getting a elite player like a kobe, LBJ, melo, cp3 are very slim, but can we still make it to the finals YES....and the only way we can is if one of our own players like Smoove or Horford really and i mean really take it to that next level!

So to get to the finals the HAWKS need good play out of teague and williams as far as role players and they need either smoove or horford to really step it up and be true all-star that can change a whole game! Will that happen.....let's hope so! My whole point either way it goes whether we make a trade for an elite player or one of our own players step it up to elite status, we need it to get to the finals there is no other way!

Teague is not the key to us getting to the Finals . . . JJ is.

Because the bottom line is that JJ must take his game to the next level, in order for us to get to the Finals. He's the guy that is playing far worse in the playoffs, than any other player on the team.

I seriously doubt that the Hawks are going to become a top 5 defensive team, so a guy like JJ pretty much has to be a hybrid between Kobe and Reggie Miller, to carry us in the playoffs.

If the new offense works, it's gonna work because it has made JJ a much more dangerous offensive player. There's no way he can shoot 40% FG in the playoffs, and we can advance deep into the playoffs.

No . . . he has to shoot close to a 50% clip and get easier looks at the basket in the playoffs.

And the likelihood of us trading for a superstar is almost zero, because most everybody wants the two players that we're not willing to trade . . Al Horford and Josh Smith. As long as we're not willing to trade either guy for a superstar, one of THOSE GUYS ( or JJ ) have to become the superstar.

• Like 1

Smoove will never become an offensive superstar, because of his limited skillset as an offensive player. Where he can improve offensively on the stat sheet, is in the assist category. He does possess the skillset to maybe have a 6 assist/gm season. But his worth is on defense He can become a defensive superstar, especially if he commits to being a dominant defensive rebounder.

Horford's mid-range jumper was great last year, but wasn't utilized enough. In Drew's new offensive system, it'll be interesting if Drew recognizes that, and gets Horford more mid-range shots. Having said that, his back to the basket game is inconsistent . . . it's better . .. but inconsistent. Until he plays significant minutes at PF, he doesn't have a shot at becoming a superstar either.

So it's all on JJ, and Drew's offense, to turn JJ into a legit top 10 player, that the Hawks can count on during the playoffs.

• Like 2

To get better and possibly go to the finals IMO:

Mainly defense, and huge strides in the offseason from our bigs. We also need ball movement, consistency throughout the whole game, and Joe needs to know this offense isn't based off of "Iso-Joe" anymore. Bibby and or Teague is fine for pg, after all we don't need an allstar pg, just ask fisher. And last, We NEED Marvin to be consistent and Joe to not dissapear when we need him the most

Edited by WhassupHawks

I say (and this is somewhat tongue-in-cheek) that what the Hawks need is to somehow steal the Bobcat's coach, Larry Brown. He is the only * common element* that I have seen who has been able to cause teams with less-than-championship caliber talent to go on unlikely Championship runs.

What he did by (not beating, but destroying) the Shaq/Kobe/Jackson Lakers with the Pistons was quite an accomplishment. Then you think back to Philly and that run against the (same) Lakers with Deke/Iverson. And even further back to his Indy days with basically lower echelon talent ---- they were a hair (and a referee's whistle) from eliminating the Jordan/Jackson Bulls.

I would almost bet that the Hawks would appear in the finals (at least) once within the next three years if we had a three commitment from Brown (or someone who is his equal in this respect) Otherwise, I don't believe the Hawks have any shot whatsoever with the current roster.

There's going to be another Larry Brown-type coach at some point, we can only hope it turns out to be LD. The odds aren't with us, though.

CS

IMO the Hawks are a PG away from being an upper echelon team. The current PGs on the team are not very good. Bibby can distribute and hit a jumper, but his defense is simply awful. Teague looks like a career backup (hope I'm wrong on that account).

The problem at PG ripples through the team on both offense and defense. Other teams don't respect Bibby on the drive and dish. This limits open looks for our bigs. On defense, we've all seen that Bibby is like the proverbial barn door left open.

Well the PG problem has been talked about extensively, but I do think this is the major weakness of the club.

• Premium Member

I wonder if any of our front office people in the past have asked this question. I wonder if it has ever truly been about getting to the top of the conference. Because the bottom line is, if we don't make any moves, then we're going to remain right where we are - stuck in the middle as teams above us fall off (Detroit, NJ, Cleveland) and teams as good as or worse than us rise (Miami, Orlando, maybe Chicago this year).

And I agree 100% with Northcyde. Right now, our hopes hinge on JJ stepping up and on L.D.s new system. IMO, the route that makes the most sense is a trade. However...AGAIN...the players that will fetch us the talent to vault us to the top are the very players that nobody wants to trade. Which is ridiculous because a trade for a player Carmelo instantly brings this team to a whole other level - from a talent perspective and from the media perspective. Can either of those guys become what Carmelo is? I doubt it. I love them both to death - Smoove is not replaceable as far as intangibles go and Horford has TONS of potential. However, neither has that All-NBA aura about them. JJ is the closest thing we have to that and even he's a step up from both.

We'll see though, but honestly, if this thing doesn't look promising by Midseason and a guy like Melo (or Melo himself) is available - I say pull the damn trigger.

• Like 1

If teague can turn into a rondo we would go to the finals

This. The way this team will make the Finals is the way the Detroit Pistons made it. No Superstars but a court full of all-stars.

If Teague can play like an all-star or even a fringe all-star then we would have the sum that could overcome individual parts on other teams.

• Premium Member

This. The way this team will make the Finals is the way the Detroit Pistons made it. No Superstars but a court full of all-stars.

If Teague can play like an all-star or even a fringe all-star then we would have the sum that could overcome individual parts on other teams.

Absolutely. That's the only way our team gets there as is and that's the main reason why I was so eager to drop Woodson and his ISO offense after our 1st playoff appearance. Thing is though...we're not nearly as good defensively as those guys and they had an offensive chemistry that was just so unselfish and so effective. JJ can be every bit the runner that RIP was, but we've no PG like Billups or a guy as versatile as Sheed was inside and out. We do have some things that the Pistons didn't have though. Smoove is every bit as important to our defense as Big Ben was, but he is a much better offensive player and provides WAY more intangibles that have saved our butts many nights. Horf has tons of potential and Marvin could be at least as productive as Prince (should be moreso with that size and athletic ability...but alas).

We'll see though.

Improvement: Tis said, "Still water runs deep." Nope. Not really. Still water doesn't move.

It just stands there and stagnates.

Hawks have been an improving team every year since the 13 win season. Getting better doesn't

always mean adding new, better players, although that helps - - Sometimes it helps a lot.

We have witnessed the growing, maturing of this Hawk team. They are not an old group of

players. Rather, they are a group of mostly young, veteran players. Their prime years are

either right now or in the future for them, with few exceptions.

What does it take for a team to get better? For the players they have to get better. We have

observed that over the past several years. Hawks have become a good team. In fact, they

are a very good team.

Some believe that to move from a very good team to a great team, we must somehow add

a super star to the roster.

It would be great, wouldn't it! Our very own super star! WOW! Someone who could, single handed,

put this team on his back and carry it to the finals and beyond.

If this player exists, who is he? And, if he's that great, why would his present team wish to get

rid of him?

Aah. He costs too much. So, where does the Hawks get all this money to pay him. And, in

order to get him, we have to give up two or three players? Who do we then have to play with

this super star? Can he do all this by himself? What if he then becomes injured. We've put

all our eggs in one basket and find all our eggs broken.

Improvements in very small steps. Suppose, because of our new head coach AND HIS STAFF,

the Hawks manage to win just two more games than last year. That's not expecting much, you

say. That's true. Suppose, that because of their improved play, all the bench players combine

to be responsible for two extra games won next season. That's not very unreasonable, is it?

Now, if every starter on the Hawks roster will strive to improve so that he is responsible for

just one extra victory this upcoming season. That's five extra wins.

You see. Small things overall add up to quiet a bit. That would be 9 more wins than last season.

Impossible? Why?

That's what I personally expect from this team.

And then, I expect them to be prepared to go into the playoffs with a very good chance to go to

the championship round. No more one and done in the playoffs. All the way!

:line dance:

• Like 1

I wonder if any of our front office people in the past have asked this question. I wonder if it has ever truly been about getting to the top of the conference. Because the bottom line is, if we don't make any moves, then we're going to remain right where we are - stuck in the middle as teams above us fall off (Detroit, NJ, Cleveland) and teams as good as or worse than us rise (Miami, Orlando, maybe Chicago this year).

And I agree 100% with Northcyde. Right now, our hopes hinge on JJ stepping up and on L.D.s new system. IMO, the route that makes the most sense is a trade. However...AGAIN...the players that will fetch us the talent to vault us to the top are the very players that nobody wants to trade. Which is ridiculous because a trade for a player Carmelo instantly brings this team to a whole other level - from a talent perspective and from the media perspective. Can either of those guys become what Carmelo is? I doubt it. I love them both to death - Smoove is not replaceable as far as intangibles go and Horford has TONS of potential. However, neither has that All-NBA aura about them. JJ is the closest thing we have to that and even he's a step up from both.

We'll see though, but honestly, if this thing doesn't look promising by Midseason and a guy like Melo (or Melo himself) is available - I say pull the damn trigger.

exactly man.. its not like we are going to have this chance every off season to acquire a player like melo. I say pull that damn trigger while we have the chance!

now if we were able to pull this off and are young players turn into all stars like the pistons did than that would be great! but again for that to happen teague and marvin need to really step it up by far! then we coul honestly say we are an elite team. but of course the defense got to be there but yeah i like the idea! in fact I rather this happen than us trying to get a superstar but either way i would be happy!

• Premium Member

Teague is not the key to us getting to the Finals . . . JJ is.

Because the bottom line is that JJ must take his game to the next level, in order for us to get to the Finals. He's the guy that is playing far worse in the playoffs, than any other player on the team.

I seriously doubt that the Hawks are going to become a top 5 defensive team, so a guy like JJ pretty much has to be a hybrid between Kobe and Reggie Miller, to carry us in the playoffs.

If the new offense works, it's gonna work because it has made JJ a much more dangerous offensive player. There's no way he can shoot 40% FG in the playoffs, and we can advance deep into the playoffs.

No . . . he has to shoot close to a 50% clip and get easier looks at the basket in the playoffs.

And the likelihood of us trading for a superstar is almost zero, because most everybody wants the two players that we're not willing to trade . . Al Horford and Josh Smith. As long as we're not willing to trade either guy for a superstar, one of THOSE GUYS ( or JJ ) have to become the superstar.

Actually, I disagree Northcyde.

I think our strength is going to have to be the evolving of our other players. JJ is going to do his job. He needs help. LD has to show that he knows how to use Craw. He has to show that Smoove can play in his offense and not drift. He has to show that Horf can develop better offense than he's been playing. But most of all, between Bibby, Teague, and whoever else, we have to get consistently good play from the PG position.

If we're running motion, the pressure is off of Teague/Bibby for the most part. Ball movement should be high. It also means that when called on, everybody can score from their spot. I honestly think what may be best for JJ is to move to Sf because Craw would be a great slasher for this team. JJ's role dimishes a bit, but he needs that. So he's not do it all JJ, but he's more like Ray Allen in Boston JJ. He can lead the team in scoring but he doesn't have to in order for the team to win.

This is the year that we find out was it coaching or was it the players. I think it was a little bit of both. Bibby is not washed up. No one player is the answer.

Can we get better.. Yes.