• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Opinions on Jason Collins?

PaceRam

I am lucky to get the chance to see a couple of the Hawks games on TV each season. So, I have not seen the New & Improved Jason Collins this season. And, I am not saying that sarcastically - From what I have read he came to the Hawks camp in much better shape than in prior seasons and he seemed to be ready to play & contribute (Good News for Him & the Hawks!)! But, can someone tell me just how much better he seems to be this season than last season and is he playing well enough to win the starting Center position on a regular basis which would enable Larry Drew to play Al Horford at the PF position.

• Premium Member

When given the opportunity, he's done very well. His play against Howard on the defensive end allowed Al and Josh to do productive work on the glass as well as enjoy physical advantages over the guys they were matched up with. I think he should get more time than he's been getting. I don't know if he'll continue to start, but I think he's proving that defense and rebounding is more important from that position than offense is. In my opinion, his impact on the starting lineup is greater than Marvin's.

I don't see the Collins hype. Sure he started two games we won. Last night he played 15 minutes, tonight 19 and fouled out. I think the Hawks can afford to play him if there are a couple other guys with a hot hand. He is just no threat at all on offense - can hardly make a dunk, and drops the ball when its passed to him. Lopez got 24 tonight (I bet thats above his aveage) and Howard was recovering from the flue. I give him credit - he's in much better shape this year and does try. I could see him as a backup.

• Like 1

Well to answer your question, I dont care what anybody says Jason Collins has been great! off the chain as far as what he has been asked to do and that play defense. thomas has done pretty well too as far as the last two games against howard and lopez. anyhow i think they both collins and thomas may need to be more physical once the playoffs roll around of course other than that they have been solid. Oh and let me say this if wilkins come out and play defense agressive like that on a regular we will be scary once jj get back! mock my words!

Line ups with Collins has been surprisingly effective. That being said I'm still for per game adjustments, that is, starting him against teams with "big bigs". Smith will have problems with explosive SFs but he's also a mismatch for most of them.

• Moderators

Line ups with Collins has been surprisingly effective. That being said I'm still for per game adjustments, that is, starting him against teams with "big bigs". Smith will have problems with explosive SFs but he's also a mismatch for most of them.

This is the thing that I think is seperating LD from Woody. He makes lineup adjustments based on the opponent and when he can forces the other team to adjust to us. We have 5 players who are exceptional nba talent. The rest are role players who need to be used when appropriate.