• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Howard in 2012

ATLSmith

• Moderators

or we do something very simple? just talk to the guy, after all he's from the area. ask him to sign here for whatever we have for a year and we'll max him the next summer. come on, orlando is not going to give him up for even a lebron so i think asking him has a better chance than asking the magic. if we do this, no josh smith trade talk.

This is, of course, tampering.

• Like 1

It's not a bad idea, however we would have to give up a lot to get him.

They'll probably want Smith and Horford, if he shows no interest in returning to Orlando. I wish there's a way we could keep Horford and Johnson, and still get Howard in a S&T, but I don't see it happening.

WHY WAIT...

Al Horford/Jamal Crawford/ 2 1st rounders for Dwight Howard.

I think with the trade that they just made, they have totally messed up. Howard may want out.

Howard/Smoove/Marvin/Joe/Bibby..

Why not trade Teague, Bibby and Zaza for Lebron while you are at it?

or we do something very simple? just talk to the guy, after all he's from the area. ask him to sign here for whatever we have for a year and we'll max him the next summer. come on, orlando is not going to give him up for even a lebron so i think asking him has a better chance than asking the magic. if we do this, no josh smith trade talk.

Not only is this tampering, but it doesn't work that way. In order to be able to renew a player's salary over the cap, a team has to have the player's bird rights. Players who are traded retain their bird rights. Players who sign as a free agent with a different team do not, and only gain bird rights after 3 years under the same contract. So you can't sign him for cheap one year and max him the next. You either trade for him or you have to sign him for 3 years before you can offer a salary that goes over the cap.

• Like 1

The core of Joe, Josh, and Al alone will be making $46mil in 2012. The soft cap or hard cap or whatever the CBA institutes is not getting very high over 60 mil. We cannot afford Dwight unless we move either of Joe, Al or Smoove, period end of story end thread.

Fine. I'll gladly move any one of them for Howard, preferably Hoford or Smoove if I had to pick, though a Smoove-Horford-Howard trio would have a lot of athleticism.

Are you saying that

Horford, Crawford, and 2 first are bad compensation for Howard?

You must hate the hawks.

Honestly, I want this to happen just as much as you probably do. However, whenever you try to trade for a superstar (and the best player at his position at that), you're going to have to shell out more than just Al Horford and 2 late 1st round picks. There's no guarantee that Crawford will even be a Hawk next season unless I've fallen that far behind on my Hawks. I really believe we're going to have to give up two players out of our 3 man core for Howard.

Are you saying that

Horford, Crawford, and 2 first are bad compensation for Howard?

You must hate the hawks.

No, it is you that wildly overstate what the hawks have. Just like your proposed "joe johnson for chris paul" trades.

This isn't a video game. That is terrible compensation and easily matched by most teams in the league.

Let's say for a second that the magic are stupid enough to even want to trade the best center in the league who is only 25 years old. Do you think Horford, 5 months of a 30 year old crawford, and two late 1st round draft picks are enough? That is essentially an expiring contract, 2 worthless picks, and Horford for Howard. Horford, who is and will always be a borderline all star at best, for a once in a generation athletic freak who should be a 1st team all nba player for at least most of the next decade?

WHY WAIT...

Al Horford/Jamal Crawford/ 2 1st rounders for Dwight Howard.

I think with the trade that they just made, they have totally messed up. Howard may want out.

Howard/Smoove/Marvin/Joe/Bibby..

Sorry Diesel but Al,Smoove ,JC ,even JJ are not worth that much around the league . They are viewed more highly here than anywhere else if you dont believe me just look at who is playing on Xmas day .

Lebron ,Wade - vs Kobe

Big three vs Dwight

Rose ,Boozer vs Amare

Melo vs Durant

Roy vs Curry ?Lee ?

We arent viewed as a team on the rise or one on the decline but one simply treading water

The league just doesnt view anyone on our team on that level so it would be extremely hard to get Howard in division without giving up BOTH Smoove and AL + the picks and they still wouldnt do it for financial reasons . Howard would be traded for one of the platers Iisted above for ticket selling purposes before he would be traded to us .

Bos - Orl

Chi- NYK

• Moderators

Smoove is the hinge for whether his former Celtic teammate Dwight would concur with a trade to Atlanta. He won't come here if it means Smoove moves elsewhere as a consequence, preferring big-spender teams instead. Therefore, Orlando would have to have interest in Joe-plus-picks or Al-plus-whatever-young-talent-we-have-by-then to get Dwight to concur with a trade.

~lw3