• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I think its time

QuantumHawkz

So we relly need a post up 10-12 pts a game big body center, but i wouldnt sign one , I'll draft one.

Do you know how hard that is when your picking around 25th ?

All of the centers taken around that time in last years draft are either rotting away on the bench or playing in the D-League.

At the center position I'm looking for defense and rebounds more then points.......but that is just my opinion.

BTW, welcome to the squawk ! :beer:

• Premium Member

Hello, this is my frist time posting a thread on this board, but i'am not new to the board.i've always followed with my moblie phone, but i was not a memeber so i couldn't post. Until now.Now, i must say i love reading post from die-hard hawks fans. Because there are so few of us, but i think its time we usher in a new era of hawk fans.With that said let me give you my opions on a few burning debates true hawks fan know about.

Welcome to the Squawk dude...or should I say welcome to the light from the shadows of lurking on the squawk!

ON THE TRADING DEADLINE.......... I would love for us to get that player or two we need to take that leap in the playoffs. But guess what, thats not going to happen.

I tend to agree that the chances of it not happening are high. We'd all love to make that big splash...and I think everyone on the board feels that SOMETHING needs to be done. As a fan of the game for so long though, I don't believe this is something out of our reach. I think that part of the culture around this team, for whatever reason, has always been that of a "thrifty shopper." In recent times, we're slow to trade. Slow to make changes with the coach. Slow to bench/discipline players. And we're cheap as hell about it! If you look at the teams that are in serious title contention and those that have actually been there...it's a common theme. There is no quit. The players don't quit. The coaches, front office, owners...it's like the whole organization is focused on winning. We were talking luck last week...and luck does seem to follow these guys. Why? The better question is, "WHY NOT US!?" At some point, the "woe is us" mentality has GOT to go. Hey...the teams that win make it happen cap'n. Does it really matter how? Or how lucky they were? We've had lip service (and downright disgusting front office management) for decades. It's time to get something done.

Its not because the F.O dont want to , its cause there isnt anyone who can come in now and help us. And if there is, they have 1yr left on there contracts, and do you all wanna take a chance like that? nope. they might not resign, then we just gave away ower core players to pick him/them up.

I've always been a pretty positive fan, but lately I've been jaded. There has been too much stagnation on and off the court with this team - no real moves made, same predictable offense, same players, same attitudes, same lack of passion/discipline/hustle. The font office has repeatedly said they like the core. They act like they really think this team is a few tweaks away. They think the team is fine...

Which brings me to my next point.

THE TEAM IS FINE, THE COACH IS GOOD........ The hawks just need to stop being lazy and show up game in and game out. They need to be HIGHLY ACTIVE. And thats the problem, sometimes we bring that fire and sometimes we have no heart.And in the NBA you atleast have to bring heart to every game if you wanna win. The other thing is when your a jump shooting team and shoots dont fall, well its like the whole team packs it up.Hey Josh, Marvin TAKE IT TO THE RACK MORE AND YOU'LL SEE HOW MUCH BETTER ITS DOSE FOR THE TEAM.

The team IS fine...but that's a big problem for me. Every year there are teams that are just "fine"..."ok"...they're winning. These teams are out there every year and any time we have a winning program, we are one of those "ok" teams. We're not bottom feeders anymore or middle of the pack. No, record wise - We're at the front of the pack. No question. We can go toe-to-toe with the best in the league. But just examining the front of the pack, there is something that separates the elite from the rest - from us. There are at least 4 teams in the league that I can genuinely say we have NO shot at beating in a 7 game series. Does the same apply to San Antonio? Boston? LA? Miami? These teams have a shot. Last year, Orlando was one of these teams (they might still be). The Cavs were one of those teams too. These teams are a little better than fine and honestly, we've got some soul searching to do before we can consider ourselves up there. I'm not so ready to put Chicago in the upper tier, but I don't think it matters to those guys or their fans.

As for LD, I really don't see how anyone can hate on him (speaking of the job anyway, not his paycheck). He's like that spare tire you got under the car...that you haven't used in 3 or 4 years. You didn't even know it was there. But one of your tires went out, on a dark road, 100 miles from the nearest town. You put the spare on, and it's got air, the right pressure, keeps the car up, doesn't shake...you've gone midway and haven't even noticed the difference. What do you have to complain about? Seriously people... I really wanted us to make a splash with the coaching hire (and was disappointed), but LD is the least of our problems right now - if you even consider him a problem.

If there are two things I like about this team - it's that Larry Drew hasn't been a complete failure (despite being a nickel and dime hire) and has done as well as anyone could expect...and Al Horford.

ON JOSH SMITH AND THE PG/C DEBATE.........Yes, i know cp3 could have been owers, but hes not, move on. Teage can be that guy we need if he stops playing with the hand breaks on. So we relly need a post up 10-12 pts a game big body center, but i wouldnt sign one , I'll draft one.Now on to Mr. Smooth.i love the guy, has a great upside but HE DONT GET IT! And thats sad cause he's homegrown talent. But the truth is the truth. And truth is his mental will have him a borderline all-star until he changes the way he thinks about the game.Iam not just talking about his shot decesion, its his attuide trowds his teammates. He still acts like he 18 sometimes and he QUITS to much and to many times. And take it from a coach who knows about players like him, they can cause more harm then good.Iam not saying trade him now, but if he keeps this same act up its something to think about in the furture.So thats all from me let me know what you think. PEACE P.S can someone tell me how to put a pic up, i've tried the way they told me but no go.and send me some good hawks online streming sites. thanks

Don't know about trying to draft a center unless we trade someone for a high draft pick, but otherwise...+1 to every bit of that...

Edited by Wretch

The team IS fine...but that's a big problem for me. Every year there are teams that are just "fine"..."ok"...they're winning. These teams are out there every year and any time we have a winning program, we are one of those "ok" teams. We're not bottom feeders anymore or middle of the pack. No, record wise - We're at the front of the pack. No question. We can go toe-to-toe with the best in the league. But just examining the front of the pack, there is something that separates the elite from the rest - from us. There are at least 4 teams in the league that I can genuinely say we have NO shot at beating in a 7 game series. Does the same apply to San Antonio? Boston? LA? Miami? These teams have a shot. Last year, Orlando was one of these teams (they might still be). The Cavs were one of those teams too. These teams are a little better than fine and honestly, we've got some soul searching to do before we can consider ourselves up there. I'm not so ready to put Chicago in the upper tier, but I don't think it matters to those guys or their fans.

I don't want this point to be lost because we were talking about it the other day. In a 7 game series, we have a chance to beat Chicago, but that's not the problem. The problem is that we have no chance to beat a top-4 team in a 7 game series. So what? Well, I can't prove this, but I believe that Chicago, even though we might beat them, could in fact stand a chance to beat boston or miami. Maybe they lose 8 series out of 10, but they have a shot, and they'd make it competitive.

Here are the unbeatables for us:

San Antonio

LAL

Boston

Miami

Those 4 teams are the teams I think will be playing in the respective conference finals. We'd lose to any one of them in a 7 game series, and I think we'd probably get swept, losing most games by double-digits.

However, there are a handful of teams that are at our level record-wise that could beat one of those teams out. Dallas, Chicago, Orlando, OKC, NO come to mind as teams that could surprise someone. Those teams are similar to us in the standings, but they have a swagger about them, and each team has a star that can take over the game. They have a shot, even if it's a slim one to get to the conference finals and even NBA finals. I would even give Utah and Denver a better chance in a 7 game series against one of the big 4. They'd at least make it competitive. Not us. We will get trounced in round 2, should we make it this year.

*btw, I realize Dallas is technically better than LAL in the standings, but I don't expect them to beat them in the playoffs. If they do, I'll attribute it to one single acquisition: that of Tyson Chandler. Anybody could've had him. They gambled and got him. We sit here and wonder how we can acquire a big while we give minutes to powell and collins.

THE TEAM IS FINE, THE COACH IS GOOD........ The hawks just need to stop being lazy and show up game in and game out...

Welcome aboard QH !

While I agree with some of your post - I would have to say that the above statement is pretty darned hard to accept.

If the team is fine and the coaching is good - why would there be a problem with laziness? Doesn't somebody have to be held accountable?

If we continue to get blown out at home against average teams due to laziness...I would have to say - that is a bad thing....so I really can't agree that everything is fine. Simple lack of effort is FAR from fine. :kickcan:

Do you know how hard that is when your picking around 25th ?

It's much harder than when you have #2 (Marvin), #5 (Shelden), and #6 (Chillz)...and you spend them poorly.

I was watching the Duke/N Carolina game tonight and they showed Marvin hitting a big shot in the NCAAs. The announcer actually called Marvin one of the classic "one hit wonders"....I doubt the guy even knows Marvin is still in the NBA.

• Premium Member

Welcome aboard QH !

While I agree with some of your post - I would have to say that the above statement is pretty darned hard to accept.

If the team is fine and the coaching is good - why would there be a problem with laziness? Doesn't somebody have to be held accountable?

If we continue to get blown out at home against average teams due to laziness...I would have to say - that is a bad thing....so I really can't agree that everything is fine. Simple lack of effort is FAR from fine. :kickcan:

Why can't we beat the elite teams?

Why can't we get out of the 2nd round?

Why does this team have no identity?

Why don't we have a star player?

Why doesn't our coach manage players/time/games right?

I have a better question - when are people going to realize that we have been asking these same kinds of questions for a long time. Longer than any of these players have been Hawks.

It's much harder than when you have #2 (Marvin), #5 (Shelden), and #6 (Chillz)...and you spend them poorly.

I was watching the Duke/N Carolina game tonight and they showed Marvin hitting a big shot in the NCAAs. The announcer actually called Marvin one of the classic "one hit wonders"....I doubt the guy even knows Marvin is still in the NBA.

And that's the thing. When your #2 pick is being called a 'one hit wonder' by folks who supposed to know basketball, you have a problem on your hands; a SERIOUS problem. Let me just say that if they ran some highlights of a Texas game from a few years ago, I don't think any of them would've called Kevin Durant a one hit wonder.

My major beef with the franchise is the fact that they allowed the previous GM to spend FOUR LOTTERY PICKS on guys who'd have a hard time cracking the rotation of most winning teams, let alone start. The resources spent on bandaging those mistakes BK made have cost this team BIG TIME. I know a lot of folks love to say 'what's done is done' but the fact is that it really isn't. Not when your team is self-capped by their refusal to go beyond the luxury tax. Not when they're leveraged by JJ into handing him the biggest free agent deal last summer because they, get this, have NO ONE ELSE that could replace his production without crippling the bench even more. Not when the team have to resort to garbage bin guys like Mo Evans, Jason Collins, and Josh Powell while their counterparts in Boston, Orlando, and Chicago are going after REAL players. Not when rookies that many were counting on to make a contribution are wasting away on the bench. And especially not when we get the 'all is fine', 'we're not getting enough love from the fans' BS from Gearon and the gang.

And the sad thing about it all is that the folks in this town know the story and aren't convinced that anything will change anytime soon, which explains why the stands remain empty unless they're doing $7.50 seat deals or the day Kobe or Team Voltron is in town.

As they say, the biggest enemy of being great is being satisfied with good....

• Like 1

Nolan Smith tore it up last night !

I'd love to for to snag him in the late 1st round. He should be a steady PG in the NBA.....not allstar potential but you can't expect to find an allstar at pick #25.

Welcome aboard, looking at prospects: Jordan Williams out of Maryland is a player that fits what this team needs. 6-10 260 out of Maryland. Averaging 17 and 12 in ACC play. Not a seven footer but a rugged guy like horford that can play down low, only questions are his measureables.