• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We must cut our losses, and trade Joe Johnson in the offseason.

MVP23

So a five time all-star is only good enough to lead a D league team? Player hate in abundance my friend.

Yao Ming was voting in to be an All star starter this year dude. Tim Duncan was an all star. If A.I was in the league, he would have been an all star. The East and NBA in general is devoid of quality SG's other than Wade, Kobe, Roy etc. All Star apperances are as meaningless as the Horse competition. How many times has he lead a lead past the second round??

JJ could be moved man. Big expiring(s), picks and/or players. But it would have to be to a good team. Spurs, OKC, Memphis, Indy come quickly to mind. Any GM for that matter who thinks all they need is a SG/SF to make a near future run at the championship would kill to get JJ. He would not be their Batman, but he would be one hell of a 3rd or 4th piece Robin.

Who's going to pay that kind of money for a ". . . 3rd or 4th piece . . ."?

Joe ain't going anywhere until he has one year left on his contract and someone takes him just for financial reasons.

Edited by dakast

This team needs an overhaul. Coaching and starting lineup. We will win nothing with our "superstar" being Joe Johnson. Pretty much in agreement in all aspects.

Whoa now Boss. I just read yesterday in one of my Joe Bashing posts from a few months ago, you damning my posts and loving on Joe and his great January. Change of heart? You can't all of a sudden dis Joe after slurping him. As a long-time, proud Joe Basher, I won't allow it.

Edited by benhillboy

Whoa now Boss. I just read yesterday in one of my Joe Bashing posts from a few months ago, you damning my posts and loving on Joe and his great January. Change of heart? You can't all of a sudden dis Joe after slurping him. As a long-time, proud Joe Basher, I won't allow it.

No one is "slurping" anyone. I've never supported Joe's big *ss contract once, I only defended the way he played. You stated that you want him to play like Lebron James, I simply replied by saying it is not possible.

Yao Ming was voting in to be an All star starter this year dude. Tim Duncan was an all star. If A.I was in the league, he would have been an all star. The East and NBA in general is devoid of quality SG's other than Wade, Kobe, Roy etc. All Star apperances are as meaningless as the Horse competition. How many times has he lead a lead past the second round??

etc includes JJ. Huge difference with JJ is he was not voted in by fans. Coaches and players respect and value JJ a lot more than some fans do, which is good since this thread is about trading him and trying to get some value for him.

This thread is really going in a strange direction. First most are posting to trade him like yourself, then in the same breath you say he is not worth anything and thus not trade-able. Going to bail on this thread, seems like its lost all logic and has turned into a lot of in-congruent player hating.

JJ is a crappy player and we should trade him is what your title should have been, at least that way I would have known its true direction and would not have bothered reading it much less replying to it.

No one is "slurping" anyone. I've never supported Joe's big *ss contract once, I only defended the way he played. You stated that you want him to play like Lebron James, I simply replied by saying it is not possible.

Okay, I must be mistaken. You said, and I quote, "Get off this forum, you are by far the most irritating poster of all time on Hawksquawk. Before you ask who I am, I'm an old veteran under a different name." To feel that strongly about my posts, which are about half pointing out Joe's deficiencies, is to be a considerable Joe fan, no? And who were you previously? Northcyde? I miss that guy. And I said Joe's size is similar to LeBron James. I would never, ever remotely expect Joe to display a fraction of what LeBron can on any front.

Edited by benhillboy

Okay, I must be mistaken. You said, and I quote, "Get off this forum, you are by far the most irritating poster of all time on Hawksquawk. Before you ask who I am, I'm an old veteran under a different name." To feel that strongly about my posts, which are about half pointing out Joe's deficiencies, is to be a considerable Joe fan, no? And who were you previously? Northcyde? I miss that guy. And I said Joe's size is similar to LeBron James. I would never, ever remotely expect Joe to display a fraction of what LeBron can on any front.

Hah wtf? I don't remember making that post but if I said anything like that then I apologize. As for Joe, I don't necessarily hate him, nor am I a huge fan of his play. Joe isn't the type of player to take this team to another level and I think we all know this now. I believe the post you made was talking about Joe needing to go to the paint more for contact (ala Lebron James), and for that point I do agree, but it just won't happen because he is such a finesse player. Has been ever since his face was broken. Joe is around the same size as Lebron, but not near as quick or explosive even if he were to play contact ball. That said....

It would be more productive for him to hit the paint more often for FT's. The dribble dribble shoot ISO is getting old.

Almost a year after the fact, I still can't believe they gave the max for a joe johnson. Like I said before they should of signed matthews to the MLE and let joe go to chicago. The lineup would have been:

hinrich

matthews

marv

josh

al

Most importantly they would have been legitimate players for the 2012 sweepstakes that only piss poor teams will be because of all the money contenders spent for the free agents in 2010.

Hah wtf? I don't remember making that post but if I said anything like that then I apologize.

No offense taken. I like debating with passionate posters, whether you Love Joe or Hate him. That's why I miss Northcyde so much. He'd defend Joe in a double murder caught on camera in broad daylight.

Edited by benhillboy

Who's going to pay that kind of money for a ". . . 3rd or 4th piece . . ."?

Joe ain't going anywhere until he has one year left on his contract and someone takes him just for financial reasons.

Peja was not traded to NO to be their Batman, Lewis was not traded and signed by Orlando to be their Batman, Arenas was not traded to Orlando to be their Batman. This is a short list and I am sure I could dig up more bad contracts that have been moved over the last five or so years, but these stick out like sore thumbs for two main reasons.

Number one, their yearly salaries were at least as large as JJs at the time of the trade, and number two, none of them is as productive as JJ. 18 to 20 million big ones is not easy to move, but they do get moved a hell of a lot more than most casual fans are aware of.

Who the heck would take Joe's contract?

Orlando took Arenas', and Washington took Rashard's, so ANYTHING'S possible. lol! Now Marvin's? Damn near impossible. Edited by terrell

Almost a year after the fact, I still can't believe they gave the max for a joe johnson. Like I said before they should of signed matthews to the MLE and let joe go to chicago. The lineup would have been:

hinrich

matthews

marv

josh

al

Most importantly they would have been legitimate players for the 2012 sweepstakes that only piss poor teams will be because of all the money contenders spent for the free agents in 2010.

2 little, 2 late.

• Premium Member

Generally, this is only true if fans vote you in. When the coaches have said 5 times that this guy is an allstar, then it has meaning.

• Premium Member

It's unbelievable but I'm starting to wonder about the BBIQ of our fanbase. They don't learn nothing. So most of you here want Joe Johnson gone. Don't you remember times before Joe? Don't you remember what it was like being losers? I sincerely believe that most of you like the disrespect of not having a good player and not being a good team. So we get rid of Joe and then what?? 4 more years of being bottom dwellers and hoping that we can get a lottery pick that can take us back to mediocrity. It's time for some down right honesty. Neither Horf nor Smoove nor Craw nor Marvin strike fear into anyone's heart. Those guys are 3rd maybe 4th options. Joe may be a weak first option but at least he's a legit first option. Those two guys that follow him around most every game are there for a reason. They're there because they realize that if this guy gets one on one coverage (even with our best guy), he can destroy us. Isn't that what he did in the playoffs to the mighty Celtics. They tried him one on one with Ray... when he made Ray his b*tch, they tried Paul.. they tried the guy they sent to NO.. they trade everybody except KG and Perk. Teams figured out that they had to double him.

If you want to be frustrated by something, be frustrated that in 7 years, Josh is still trying to shoot threes. Be frustrated that Al still has games where he puts on a dress and disappears. Be frustrated that in Six years, Marvin doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground. Be frustrated that our offense is three point crazy. Be frustrated that since ASG has taken over, we have not run and we're good when we run. Be frustrated by the fact that we have had two assistant coaches who are trying to learn to coach while calling us an "elite" team.

Joe is not the issue. The issue is that we don't have good coaching and we have flawed players who we got from the lottery.

Think about what you're saying... You want another 5 yrs at the apple when the apple has produced:

Josh Childress

Marvin Williams

Shelden Williams

Acie Law

Hrford

These are your lottery picks.

If you want to trade Joe, tell me where do you expect to be other than Happy that we have more money to waste on the Marvin Williams, Zaza, and Bibby's of the world.

• Like 1

I am completely op board for trading JJ. He's way overpaid, he ain't getting better, he's boring, he isn't a leader, he's a jerk, etc.

Maybe NJ would do it once they realize they arent going to keep Williams. Golden State has the pieces to get JJ from us if they were interested. Houston is always looking for a star, let's give them JJ while we can sell him as the all-star.

The main killer to any JJ deal? Of course, it's his salary. It would not be easy to convince a team to pick up a 100-million dollar contract. I think the best we'll be able to do is trade him when he is at 3 years, 60 million left, that's Rashard Lewis, Arenas territory.

hinrich

matthews

marv

josh

al

Portland offered Matthews a 5yr/$34mil deal (average of 6.8 mil/yr), The MLE is 5.8mil which means that Portland offered more, additionally I think the contract was front loaded at $9.2 mil in the first year...Utah would have matched that if it wasn't front loaded. We had no chance.

It's unbelievable but I'm starting to wonder about the BBIQ of our fanbase. They don't learn nothing. So most of you here want Joe Johnson gone. Don't you remember times before Joe? Don't you remember what it was like being losers? I sincerely believe that most of you like the disrespect of not having a good player and not being a good team. So we get rid of Joe and then what?? 4 more years of being bottom dwellers and hoping that we can get a lottery pick that can take us back to mediocrity. It's time for some down right honesty. Neither Horf nor Smoove nor Craw nor Marvin strike fear into anyone's heart. Those guys are 3rd maybe 4th options. Joe may be a weak first option but at least he's a legit first option. Those two guys that follow him around most every game are there for a reason. They're there because they realize that if this guy gets one on one coverage (even with our best guy), he can destroy us. Isn't that what he did in the playoffs to the mighty Celtics. They tried him one on one with Ray... when he made Ray his b*tch, they tried Paul.. they tried the guy they sent to NO.. they trade everybody except KG and Perk. Teams figured out that they had to double him.

If you want to be frustrated by something, be frustrated that in 7 years, Josh is still trying to shoot threes. Be frustrated that Al still has games where he puts on a dress and disappears. Be frustrated that in Six years, Marvin doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground. Be frustrated that our offense is three point crazy. Be frustrated that since ASG has taken over, we have not run and we're good when we run. Be frustrated by the fact that we have had two assistant coaches who are trying to learn to coach while calling us an "elite" team.

Joe is not the issue. The issue is that we don't have good coaching and we have flawed players who we got from the lottery.

Think about what you're saying... You want another 5 yrs at the apple when the apple has produced:

Josh Childress

Marvin Williams

Shelden Williams

Acie Law

Hrford

These are your lottery picks.

If you want to trade Joe, tell me where do you expect to be other than Happy that we have more money to waste on the Marvin Williams, Zaza, and Bibby's of the world.

Thats just it man. We're sick and tired of mediocrity. If this means starting over and trying again then so be it. Might as well. This team isnt going anywhere as constructed, with or without Joe Johnson. You know it, I know it, and the whole NBA world knows it. To be honest, I think we'd be just as good with a cheap guy like Matthews as opposed to your avg Joe. Not saying Joe is the entire problem ,but we need him to do a LOT more than what he's been doing to have a chance of being a good basketball team. You cant have a couple of good weeks and then disappear like Marvin for the rest of the year when your're supposedly the "face of the franchise". And imo, Joe's an All-star because the 2 guard spot is weak after D-Wade in the East. I mean, who are they going to select ahead of Joe? J-Rich? Michael Redd? T-Mac? Rip? I mean really. Same with Horford at center. Even though Horford is having an all-star caliber year.