• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We must cut our losses, and trade Joe Johnson in the offseason.

MVP23

It's unbelievable but I'm starting to wonder about the BBIQ of our fanbase. They don't learn nothing. So most of you here want Joe Johnson gone. Don't you remember times before Joe? Don't you remember what it was like being losers? I sincerely believe that most of you like the disrespect of not having a good player and not being a good team. So we get rid of Joe and then what?? 4 more years of being bottom dwellers and hoping that we can get a lottery pick that can take us back to mediocrity. It's time for some down right honesty. Neither Horf nor Smoove nor Craw nor Marvin strike fear into anyone's heart. Those guys are 3rd maybe 4th options. Joe may be a weak first option but at least he's a legit first option. Those two guys that follow him around most every game are there for a reason. They're there because they realize that if this guy gets one on one coverage (even with our best guy), he can destroy us. Isn't that what he did in the playoffs to the mighty Celtics. They tried him one on one with Ray... when he made Ray his b*tch, they tried Paul.. they tried the guy they sent to NO.. they trade everybody except KG and Perk. Teams figured out that they had to double him.

If you want to be frustrated by something, be frustrated that in 7 years, Josh is still trying to shoot threes. Be frustrated that Al still has games where he puts on a dress and disappears. Be frustrated that in Six years, Marvin doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground. Be frustrated that our offense is three point crazy. Be frustrated that since ASG has taken over, we have not run and we're good when we run. Be frustrated by the fact that we have had two assistant coaches who are trying to learn to coach while calling us an "elite" team.

Joe is not the issue. The issue is that we don't have good coaching and we have flawed players who we got from the lottery.

Think about what you're saying... You want another 5 yrs at the apple when the apple has produced:

Josh Childress

Marvin Williams

Shelden Williams

Acie Law

Hrford

These are your lottery picks.

If you want to trade Joe, tell me where do you expect to be other than Happy that we have more money to waste on the Marvin Williams, Zaza, and Bibby's of the world.

Its because we aren't going anywhere with this current team and everybody knows it. We mind as well cut out losses and trade Joe and basically start over. If we stay the course we will be fighting The Bobcats for the 8th seed in a year or two.

Thats just it man. We're sick and tired of mediocrity. If this means starting over and trying again then so be it. Might as well. This team isnt going anywhere as constructed, with or without Joe Johnson. You know it, I know it, and the whole NBA world knows it. To be honest, I think we'd be just as good with a cheap guy like Matthews as opposed to your avg Joe. Not saying Joe is the entire problem ,but we need him to do a LOT more than what he's been doing to have a chance of being a good basketball team. You cant have a couple of good weeks and then disappear like Marvin for the rest of the year when your're supposedly the "face of the franchise". And imo, Joe's an All-star because the 2 guard spot is weak after D-Wade in the East. I mean, who are they going to select ahead of Joe? J-Rich? Michael Redd? T-Mac? Rip? I mean really. Same with Horford at center. Even though Horford is having an all-star caliber year.

My thoughts exactly. We're going nowhere with Joe. Like I said we're handcuffed to an airplane that is about to crash in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Orlando took Arenas', and Washington took Rashard's, so ANYTHING'S possible. lol! Now Marvin's? Damn near impossible.

The problem with that is Arenas and Lewis were near the end of their contracts. Joe's is just beginning.

The problem with that is Arenas and Lewis were near the end of their contracts. Joe's is just beginning.

Dont remind me. And I'm still wondering why he was so good right before the Allstar break? Coincidence? Edited by terrell

Who thinks they're close? Dallas comes to mind.

Dallas has one of the only owners in the league who is oblivous to the luxury tax in his pursuit of an NBA Championship. He is one of the only guys who would trade for Joe and who has some pretty hefty contacts to move.

What if Dallas offered Kidd/Haywood/ 1st (pick 28 or so) for Joe Johnson this off season ?

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

In reality I think that is about all we could hope for in a JJ trade due to his albatross contract. You are not going to get equal talent back for JJ due to his contract length. (The Magic would give us Arenas but that would be insane for the Hawk to do.)

Portland offered Matthews a 5yr/$34mil deal (average of 6.8 mil/yr), The MLE is 5.8mil which means that Portland offered more, additionally I think the contract was front loaded at $9.2 mil in the first year...Utah would have matched that if it wasn't front loaded. We had no chance.

Wesley Matthews $5,765,000 $6,135,160 $6,505,320 $6,875,480 $7,245,640

Looks like a standard mle to me.

Wesley Matthews $5,765,000 $6,135,160 $6,505,320 $6,875,480 $7,245,640

Looks like a standard mle to me.

There is still no guarantee that Matthews would have moved across the country, to play on a new team, for the same exact money.

• Moderators

There is still no guarantee that Matthews would have moved across the country, to play on a new team, for the same exact money.

Agreed. I think it is unlikely.

My understanding is that it was a MLE offer with the twist that it was frontloaded like JJ's deal. Just because it is Atlanta? Hmm.... This is a guy who chose to play his college ball in Wisconsin. Are we sure getting to a big city in the south outweighed going to a better organization?

If we weren't willing to frontload the contract, Utah matches. If we did frontload, then Matthews picks between ATL and POR and I'm not sure how that plays out.

Keep in mind Matthews was starting with Roy when Roy went down with his injury and has continued to start since his return.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201012150DAL.html

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201012130MEM.html

Portland was the only team to aggressively pursue him. I still don't see why people won't concede he would have most likely signed here if upper management would have shown some slight interest. It's all moot and we can move on to the next subject.

When I meant atl vs portland, this was what I was talking about:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=6000000&city1=54159000&city2=51304000

A salary of $6,000,000 in Portland, Oregon could decrease to $4,718,072 in Atlanta, Georgia

Edited by Kimsey

Portland was the only team to aggressively pursue him. I still don't see why people won't concede he would have most likely signed here if upper management would have shown some slight interest. It's all moot and we can move on to the next subject.

You think he would have moved across the country to Atlanta for equal money simply b/c the cost of living is slightly lower ?

I think you need to concede that is not a valid point to most NBA players.

When I meant atl vs portland, this was what I was talking about:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=6000000&city1=54159000&city2=51304000

A salary of $6,000,000 in Portland, Oregon could decrease to $4,718,072 in Atlanta, Georgia

The "lowest cost of living" factor was not a factor for the Knicks with Stoudemire or Carmelo, nor the Heat with Wade, Bosh, and Wade.

There is no evidence to suggest that a team has gotten a player simply b/c the cost of living in their city is lower.

Edited by coachx

You think he would have moved across the country to Atlanta for equal money simply b/c the cost of living is slightly lower ?

I think you need to concede that is not a valid point to most NBA players.

The "lowest cost of living" factor was not a factor for the Knicks with Stoudemire or Carmelo, nor the Heat with Wade, Bosh, and Wade.

There is no evidence to suggest that a team has gotten a player simply b/c the cost of living in their city is lower.

I can't even comment.

• Premium Member

Thats just it man. We're sick and tired of mediocrity. If this means starting over and trying again then so be it. Might as well. This team isnt going anywhere as constructed, with or without Joe Johnson. You know it, I know it, and the whole NBA world knows it. To be honest, I think we'd be just as good with a cheap guy like Matthews as opposed to your avg Joe. Not saying Joe is the entire problem ,but we need him to do a LOT more than what he's been doing to have a chance of being a good basketball team. You cant have a couple of good weeks and then disappear like Marvin for the rest of the year when your're supposedly the "face of the franchise". And imo, Joe's an All-star because the 2 guard spot is weak after D-Wade in the East. I mean, who are they going to select ahead of Joe? J-Rich? Michael Redd? T-Mac? Rip? I mean really. Same with Horford at center. Even though Horford is having an all-star caliber year.

Did we not learn the lesson last time we "rebuilt". Let me refresh your memory. It took us 10 years to get back to winning. Last time we rebuilt, we gave up Smitty, Blaylock... and watched as our team went from a consistent 50 win team to nothing. What we should have learned then is that you don't have to go to the ground floor to rebuild. You reload. Terrell, why didn't the Lakers get rid of both Kobe and Shaq? When Boston rebuilt, why did they hold on to an expensive Paul Pierce? What was the result of those rebuilds?

If we rebuild, we keep Joe and Horf and make everybody else a memory. However, you don't get rid of allstars when you plan on rebuilding.. otherwise, you will be rebuilding using the Clippers designs.