• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What player is more to blame for our shortcomings now...

Diesel

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Hear me out. I know many of you wanted to see the Joe Johnson's or the Josh Smith's so that you can :beathorse: ...

However, looking at the franchise, I think you can look in a few directions that we have gone and see how disappointments have really set us back.

First Ty Lue. Lue did nothing disappointing, but it seems that when he was here, no other guards could develop and BK was not interested in getting another guard.

Marvin = The pick that never became.

Speedy = We actually spent a lot of money on speedy. Speedy was our last acquisition before the team was handcuffed. (last before the Belkin fight began). Was there the continuing belief that Speedy would come back and be the PG we needed?

Childress = Not just the style of play but also the fact that he went to Greece when we needed him.

Shelden = The promise. We could've had Foye, Reddick or Rondo. It's funny looking at that draft. It sucks. Did you know We drafted Solo before Milsap was drafted?

Did you know that Hilton Armstrong was drafted 12th?

• Like 1

• Moderators

Sheldon Williams. There is no comparison. Sure life would be different if we had cp3 or deron or whoever. Lue was here for rebuilding and he is a good guy. I don't blame him for anything. Marvin, Childress are good nba players, Speedy quickly went on the insurance roles. But with such a high pick as Sheldon to get really no contribution from that pick is disasterous. BK did get us back to relevancy and the playoffs. You can't deny that. If he didn't have his hands tied i think he would have done better.

I don't claim to know anything about college players but I did know that Milsap was taken after solo. I couldn't believe it at the time but I just thought there was something I was missing. Oh well.

• Like 1

Sheldon Williams. There is no comparison. Sure life would be different if we had cp3 or deron or whoever. Lue was here for rebuilding and he is a good guy. I don't blame him for anything. Marvin, Childress are good nba players, Speedy quickly went on the insurance roles. But with such a high pick as Sheldon to get really no contribution from that pick is disasterous. BK did get us back to relevancy and the playoffs. You can't deny that. If he didn't have his hands tied i think he would have done better.

I don't claim to know anything about college players but I did know that Milsap was taken after solo. I couldn't believe it at the time but I just thought there was something I was missing. Oh well.

Yep I picked Sheldon because he was supposed to be at least a capable big man. If we had a decent player in that role things would look a lot different.

• Moderators

I have a hard time trying to answer this question.

Obviously, the Marvin pick was the worst decision with the biggest impact by our GM but that is a GM issue.

In terms of the player himself disappointing, Shelden and Speedy go hand in hand. You couldn't have gotten much less from either of them.

So I guess I will vote for Shelden since he didn't have health problems and since the problems that I can trace to the player himself (and not what management did) look the worst.

I don't blame Lue at all - he played fine in his limited role and he was never relied on to be anything more than a stopgap role player. When you talk about blame the player deserves to carry, Lue doesn't deserve any blame for BK not getting a PG.

That is all on BK.

At least Shledon Williams helped us get a couple of good years out of Mike Bibby. Then Mike Bibby helped get us get Kirk Hinrich.

That draft was very poor on talent........at least the trade helped us some production from the PG position.

I can;t hold not drafting Rondo at #5 against BK. I personally think Rondo was given the best scenerio possible to succeed in Boston given his skill-set. Rondo was extremely raw coming out of Kentucky. He was taken at the tail end of the 1st round due to how raw Rondo was. Playing beside two 3 point snipers, in Pierce and , helped camouflage his lack of shooting. Then you also had KG's leadership too. I don't think Rondo's career would have panned out the same if he played on any other team when he was 2nd year player finding his way.

• Premium Member

For me it comes down to Shelden and Marvin. The thing is, at least we got something for Shelden. He has come, gone, and is mostly forgotten (even though it was a terrible draft pick). In his place, we have Hinrich. We're stuck looking at Marvin wondering why he can't put up better numbers. Stuck with his contract. Stuck forever wondering what could have been with Paul or Deron...

• Moderators

Why in the world would anyone credit Shelden for what we got in a trade for him when he was clearly no more valuable than an expiring contract? That isn't something a player deserves credit or blame for (which is different than if a player like Carmelo Anthony is traded and teams want him to perform for them and are willing to give up value to get him). If Marvin was traded as filler in a deal for Kevin Durant it wouldn't make him any more or less blameworthy. It would only make Rick Sund's performance as GM better.

I don't agree with blaming or crediting players for things entirely outside of their control. Had Shelden performed in Atlanta and gotten traded to a team that wanted his play as an enticement to make the trade, I could understand an argument on that but Shelden was filler. Filler doesn't get credit or blame for the length and value of its contract.